Real Bradley effect in this election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:49:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Real Bradley effect in this election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Real Bradley effect in this election  (Read 11427 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: November 02, 2008, 12:51:43 AM »

People keep saying we are a "center right" nation, and yet polls consistently show voters support Democrats on nearly every issue. So I don't see the evidence for this claim, unless you believe the Democrats are the centrist party and the Republicans the far right party, in which narrow preferences for Democrats would actually be considered right of center.

I would agree that we are a center-right nation compared to the rest of the world, but certainly not in a context in which Democrats are considered left and Republicans right.

The whole notion of there being such a thing as a "center right" or "center left" nation is kind of nonsensical, since there's no widely agreed upon definition of where the political center is.  You can come up with some kind of scale relative to other countries, I suppose, but it's pretty much impossible to plot all the countries of the world on the same ideological spectrum, since the issues are so different from place to place.

Or you could just define the ideological center in the US as being the ideology of the media voter there.  If that was your approach, then the US is "centrist", by definition.

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 02:53:49 AM »

I actually think we are a more "center left" country now or atleast in most important states.

I think the republicans have more support among people who vote in elections, although this year could be the end to that.

Look at TV and movies today.. if we were still a "center right" country theres no way some of this stuff would be on the air waves or as popular.

Again, all of this is based on a purely subjective decision about where to place the ideological center.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies