Real Bradley effect in this election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:58:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Real Bradley effect in this election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Real Bradley effect in this election  (Read 11495 times)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« on: November 01, 2008, 09:08:08 PM »

People keep saying we are a "center right" nation, and yet polls consistently show voters support Democrats on nearly every issue. So I don't see the evidence for this claim, unless you believe the Democrats are the centrist party and the Republicans the far right party, in which narrow preferences for Democrats would actually be considered right of center.

I would agree that we are a center-right nation compared to the rest of the world, but certainly not in a context in which Democrats are considered left and Republicans right.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 11:48:43 PM »

People keep saying we are a "center right" nation, and yet polls consistently show voters support Democrats on nearly every issue. So I don't see the evidence for this claim, unless you believe the Democrats are the centrist party and the Republicans the far right party, in which narrow preferences for Democrats would actually be considered right of center.

I would agree that we are a center-right nation compared to the rest of the world, but certainly not in a context in which Democrats are considered left and Republicans right.

Two words: political environment

Leaving aside the question of whether the environment is a product of the nation's ideology or vice versa (would you have said we were still a center left country in 1980?), polls showing Democratic preferences on most issues has existed for at least two decades (the only consistent exceptions being foreign policy/national security issues and a spike in preference for Republicans on all issues in the aftermath of 9/11).
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 09:21:02 PM »

democrats tend to be center right.

From a world perspective, that's true. So I guess if that's what people mean by the US being a "center right" country, then I'd agree.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies