Future Political Party Stances?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:26:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Future Political Party Stances?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Future Political Party Stances?  (Read 5891 times)
Workers' Friend
Bob Dole
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: 9.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2008, 11:47:12 PM »

The thing is, The Democrats are now full-time enemies against Populism and other Social Conservatives. Many Blue Dog Democrats are leaning Republican nowadays. Fiscla Conservatism is just dying.

Fiscal Conservatism won't die. There will always be a limited Government faction in America no matter what party it is in. Lets not mistake tempoary occurences for long term trends. You must look at congress. For within the big spenders there is a group that is pushing for a return to fiscal conservatism. They are mostly in the GOP and are becoming more and more powerful. Paul Ryan is now the GOP ranking member on the Budget committee, and Eric Cantor will probably be the minority leader by next year(considering how things are Boehner will retire and I doubt anybody will stomach electing Blunt just to connected to the old Guard). Plus a number of Congressmen elected in GOP years of 2002 and 2004 will be gaining in senority paritculary with all the retirements. So at least in terms of the House the GOP is turning more towards 1994 in terms of philosophy then toward populism. 

If the GOP isn;t turning Populist, where am I then?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2008, 11:56:10 PM »

The thing is, The Democrats are now full-time enemies against Populism and other Social Conservatives. Many Blue Dog Democrats are leaning Republican nowadays. Fiscla Conservatism is just dying.

Fiscal Conservatism won't die. There will always be a limited Government faction in America no matter what party it is in. Lets not mistake tempoary occurences for long term trends. You must look at congress. For within the big spenders there is a group that is pushing for a return to fiscal conservatism. They are mostly in the GOP and are becoming more and more powerful. Paul Ryan is now the GOP ranking member on the Budget committee, and Eric Cantor will probably be the minority leader by next year(considering how things are Boehner will retire and I doubt anybody will stomach electing Blunt just to connected to the old Guard). Plus a number of Congressmen elected in GOP years of 2002 and 2004 will be gaining in senority paritculary with all the retirements. So at least in terms of the House the GOP is turning more towards 1994 in terms of philosophy then toward populism. 

In the wrong party? Don't worry there are some issues even economic ones where you will find yourself in agreement possibly. I don;t know what you views are on each issue but the GOP will be taking the equivolent of a populist position on Immigration and to some degree on trade. The GOP will remain in favor of free trade but the deals will have to include more provisions to protect worker,environment and maybe some enforcement mechanism to safeguard against cheating on trade like China is. A good example of this type of free trade deal is the one with Columbia that the Dems still refuse to pass even with these provisions. Other then that you probably will find yourself at odds with the GOP on economic policy.
Workers' Friend
Bob Dole
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2008, 11:58:25 PM »

In the wrong party? Don't worry there are some issues even economic ones where you will find yourself in agreement possibly. I don;t know what you views are on each issue but the GOP will be taking the equivolent of a populist position on Immigration and to some degree on trade. The GOP will remain in favor of free trade but the deals will have to include more provisions to protect worker,environment and maybe some enforcement mechanism to safeguard against cheating on trade like China is. A good example of this type of free trade deal is the one with Columbia that the Dems still refuse to pass even with these provisions. Other then that you probably will find yourself at odds with the GOP on economic policy.

Yeah, I just think that Fiscal Conservatism as we know it will be different, due to Bush.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2008, 12:16:02 AM »

Yeah, I just think that Fiscal Conservatism as we know it will be different, due to Bush.

Around the edges and margins maybe, and it may come in a different vaneer, but a horse of a different color is still a horse underneath. It will still be low tax and less regulation, but some regulations they will want to increase and the ones the change, eithey way up or down, they will be more specific about. Still the same animal or beast depending on your perspective.
Workers' Friend
Bob Dole
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2008, 10:23:29 AM »

Around the edges and margins maybe, and it may come in a different vaneer, but a horse of a different color is still a horse underneath. It will still be low tax and less regulation, but some regulations they will want to increase and the ones the change, eithey way up or down, they will be more specific about. Still the same animal or beast depending on your perspective.

Yeah, but still, Bush has left a bad mark on Fiscal Conservatism.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2008, 06:45:50 PM »

Yeah so what? Bush is leaving office with a 25% approval rating and the GOP will have no problem bringing up where Bush straid from Conservativism to differentiat themselves from him cause I have no doubt Obama, if elected, will continue to contrast himself with Bush and then Compare all his Republican opponents too him.
Workers' Friend
Bob Dole
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2008, 06:47:59 PM »

Yeah so what? Bush is leaving office with a 25% approval rating and the GOP will have no problem bringing up where Bush straid from Conservativism to differentiat themselves from him cause I have no doubt Obama, if elected, will continue to contrast himself with Bush and then Compare all his Republican opponents too him.

But still remember, Everyone will still hate Fiscal Conservatism. After a few years, Any Fiscal Conservatism will be small if existent. We will either see Libertarians and Populists, or Liberals and Populists.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2008, 07:05:49 PM »

What will make every hate Fiscal Conservatism? thats what I don't get about what you say. When you look at the huge budget deficits caused by Prescription drugs, NCLB, largest increase in non-defense spending since the Great Society, and the mismangement(Iraq, Katrina, and inability of several agencies to audited). Quite a legacy for Bush. So how the hell is he a fiscal Conservative? and why would his legacy huet Fiscal Conservatism?
Workers' Friend
Bob Dole
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2008, 07:32:17 PM »

What will make every hate Fiscal Conservatism? thats what I don't get about what you say. When you look at the huge budget deficits caused by Prescription drugs, NCLB, largest increase in non-defense spending since the Great Society, and the mismangement(Iraq, Katrina, and inability of several agencies to audited). Quite a legacy for Bush. So how the hell is he a fiscal Conservative? and why would his legacy huet Fiscal Conservatism?

Because, Fiscal Conservatism is associated with Pro-Big Business. Bush is staunchly Pro-Business. Don't forget this sh**t with China either.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2008, 08:28:59 PM »

Because, Fiscal Conservatism is associated with Pro-Big Business. Bush is staunchly Pro-Business. Don't forget this sh**t with China either.

Thats thanks to misinformation from the left-wing media. But there is more than enough to argue for a return to fiscal conservatism which arguable was abandoned for electoral gain in 1999 when Tom Delay became the most powerful man in the House with the Speaker in his corrupt pockets. Temporary electoral gain is more like it cause last I checked Pelosi and Reid are now running Capitol Hill and we are about to elect the most liberal President since Carter. In 2000 Bush attempted to hyphenate Conservatism by adding compassion to appeal to independents. Well he won twice but very narrowly and it fed a culture of corruption that had started in 1999. Now we have the final result. The last GOP President to do that was his father with Kinder Gentler-Conservative and that got us a huge tax hike and Bill Clinton.

If you look a earmarks we cut them in half in 1995 and reduced them every year till 1999 then the trend reversed and they ballooned. When the media says the Republican Revooution ended in 2006 I cringe. For Fiscal and Full Spectrum Conservatives like me it died from within in 1999. I know people were tired of Gingrich and the GOP needed to rebrand itself but whatever lose in the House in 2000 even if it was a lose of controll would have been much more manageable then the Super-majorities for the Dems we could get in 2008.

Now you want Populist-Conservative. Whats next Liberal-Conservative. I definately don't want to be part of a movement that included Huey Long and Charles Coughlin among other radicals. Populism is more dangerous then liberalism because it encourages people to vote for candidates who will vote them more rewards from the treasury at the expense of the minority. A Republic exists to protect the minority from the Tyrannical Majority. Rep Steve King(R-IA) has talked at length about this in relation to Democratic S-chip extension plan and the Alterntive Minimum Tax, how some people who payed the later, a Tax for the rich that wasn't indexed to inflation, and were eligible to take part in the former, an entitlement program to help Middle and lower class Children. 
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2008, 05:59:41 PM »

Here is a bit of evidence. If the American people  including Republicans are supposed to become Gov't loving Populist then why does this poll show more people want tax cuts over a new Stimulus Package. It also says that a majority are AFRAID GOV'T WILL GO TO FAR in the wake of the market crisis.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/business/general_business/58_favor_tax_cuts_over_another_stimulus_plan
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies