Horse takes up painting, has works exhibited Bill (Vetoed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:41:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Horse takes up painting, has works exhibited Bill (Vetoed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Horse takes up painting, has works exhibited Bill (Vetoed)  (Read 11387 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« on: October 23, 2008, 02:20:58 PM »

The bill is introduced on behalf of Fmr. Sen. BrandonH if I didn't already state so. 

This bill is necessary because the statue is completely unnecessary.  We have regional senate seats, and the idea of making them extinct has not come close to passing.  Until it does, there is no reason for this bill.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 07:11:02 AM »

Nay, if you wish for further explanation you may contact BrandonH as well
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 07:27:06 PM »

Nay, if you wish for further explanation you may contact BrandonH as well

Just do it, and do it on the floor DWTL. Smiley  The idea is to change minds on the floor. Among other things, that improves the game, and also educates the "youngs" as to how to affect and effect legislation, in the other place. Just a thought.

In fact, we need a lot more give and takes on the floor. Isn't the Senate supposed to be this special place, this gleaming jewel on the Fruited Plain, this Atlasia, this  greatest deliberative body known to man?  Where have all the flowers gone?
The only reason I said that is because many senator automatically dismiss bills with my name attached to them Tongue

Basically, the reasoning is this.  This statue is meaningless and basically is a ploy to try and convince people to support eliminating regional senate seats.  Proponents cite that it will bring competitive elections and want to use the same formula as before as this bill does.  The fact is while the elections may become a tad more competitive, you are completely losing the aspect of senators having to appeal to a certain region.  For example, a referendum senate election in the Dirty South on regional rights (PiT v. BaconKing) has all the excitement of national elections, except it is a 1 on 1 different type of excitement.  Sure, some elections like yours and AndrewCTs were unchallenged, but that is because you both fit your region well and the forces that be did not want to challenge you.  The fact is if national elections were held, I'm quite sure that you and Andrew would have been elected as well as PiT.  However, Lewis very well may not have and therefore the Midwest and its small population would be lacking representation.  You also would miss out on the madness in the Mideast.  This is now two elections in a row (last time in the Southeast) that there has been an insane election providing a ton of excitement.  Why would we want to end these spectacles?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 07:42:01 PM »

Thanks DWTL. But this bill dumps the 5 national Senate seats. The 5 regional seats still stand. Do you want all seats to be regional?  Since as I noted in another post, the Senate effectively seems to have supreme power, don't you want at least some of them, to be subject to a national vote?
If I'm reading it correct (which I believe I am) it does not.

Class A seats are the regional seats.  What this act does, and correct me if you think I'm wrong, is state that IF regional senate seats are nationalized, the matter in which they are voted upon would be the same as the Class B seats (currently the at-large seats)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 07:46:35 PM »

I believe the analogy used for this bill was it was buying the ammunition before the gun
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 07:52:35 PM »

Jas, just because you do not agree with something does not make it propaganda.  The only propaganda being spread around is that if you oppose nationalizing all senate elections you are an idiot.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 08:01:47 PM »

The only propaganda being spread around is that if you oppose nationalizing all senate elections you are an idiot.
Holding onto regional Senate seats is a perfectly valid political opinion.
I wish the regional elections were competitive, but pretending that they are doesn't help anyone or address the fundamental problem.
There is no pretending.  If an incumbent is defeated that has to be considered a competitive election, the Mideast and Southeast chaos is not make believe either.  Hell, the Southeast race took over a month to settle.  That kind of chaos is what we need more of, not less
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 08:28:24 PM »

What on earth are you on about?
What chaos in the SE? 
The senate election and the De-Registration Scandal coupled with a re-vote, then BaconKing couldn't take the oath of office so I stayed in the senate.  It really helped build up regional participation, it helped fuel the drive for regional rights.  I doubt any races this time around will have the same fire, but still you never know.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 02:52:16 PM »

I motion for cloture
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 02:58:37 PM »
« Edited: October 28, 2008, 04:29:23 PM by Sen. DWTL »

Nay, thanks for reminding me Lewis Smiley
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 04:25:27 PM »

I move for cloture vote starting at 12:01 PM tomorrow, November 7th
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 06:02:30 PM »

Oh God. DWTL, you need to take lessons from me on how to win friends and influence people above and beyond, even though I love ya like a bother man. Smiley

Nay.
Huh

I'm confused by your vote.  Now we are voting on cloture because the motion before did not have enough votes because nobody showed up for it.  The reason I voted against it was because I know PiT will now vote in favor and there is a good chance AndrewCT will too.

Anyway, Aye
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 10:32:17 AM »

What are your intentions Jas and Torie?  To keep this on the floor until the next senate or something?  I'll keep debate open as long as possible if need be all your doing is stalling which I did last time because it was the END of a senate session.  Backlog a bill like this for two months in hopes that prospects will look brighter? 

And Torie I really don't understand your vote considering you said that regional senate seats would disappear over your dead body Smiley
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 11:19:10 AM »

Correct me if I am wrong here DWTL. This legislation does not get rid of regional seats. It just creates a procedure if they are eventually done away with. Isn't that right? If so, this seems to be something of an onanistic exercise on all sides.
You are right about that, but still this is simply a vote for cloture.  Did you think it was a final vote or were you voting against cloture?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 05:34:41 PM »

Seems the attempt to achieve cloture here has failed.
That's why I motioned for cloture again
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 05:15:01 PM »

Torie change your vote or this thing is going to stay out there forever
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 12:51:25 PM »

Nay
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 03:37:56 PM »

As much as I do not like silver, government handouts of asparagus are not acceptable

Nay
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2008, 10:57:35 PM »

The fight will not die!!!!

Move to overrule veto!

Wouldn't the bill's sponsor need to do that?
I meant it as an order more than an actual movement
In true spirit of the bill!  Anyway I do not wish to open a veto override vote and instead will re-introduce the original bill at a later time
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies