Horse takes up painting, has works exhibited Bill (Vetoed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:33:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Horse takes up painting, has works exhibited Bill (Vetoed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Horse takes up painting, has works exhibited Bill (Vetoed)  (Read 11403 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: October 25, 2008, 07:27:47 PM »

I hereby move to table this bill. Enough already! Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 11:03:14 AM »

Aye
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 06:06:41 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2008, 06:16:18 PM by Torie »

Nay, if you wish for further explanation you may contact BrandonH as well

Just do it, and do it on the floor DWTL. Smiley  The idea is to change minds on the floor. Among other things, that improves the game, and also educates the "youngs" as to how to affect and effect legislation, in the other place. Just a thought.

In fact, we need a lot more give and takes on the floor. Isn't the Senate supposed to be this special place, this gleaming jewel on the Fruited Plain, this Atlasia, this  greatest deliberative body known to man?  Where have all the flowers gone?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 07:31:27 PM »

Thanks DWTL. But this bill dumps the 5 national Senate seats. The 5 regional seats still stand. Do you want all seats to be regional?  Since as I noted in another post, the Senate effectively seems to have supreme power, don't you want at least some of them, to be subject to a national vote?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 07:44:58 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2008, 07:48:12 PM by Torie »

Thanks DWTL. But this bill dumps the 5 national Senate seats. The 5 regional seats still stand. Do you want all seats to be regional?  Since as I noted in another post, the Senate effectively seems to have supreme power, don't you want at least some of them, to be subject to a national vote?
If I'm reading it correct (which I believe I am) it does not.

Class A seats are the regional seats.  What this act does, and correct me if you think I'm wrong, is state that IF regional senate seats are nationalized, the matter in which they are voted upon would be the same as the Class B seats (currently the at-large seats)

I don't have a clue, but regional senate seats will be nationalized over my dead body, and if they are over my corpse, then we are down to a process issue, rather than a fundamental structural issue. The uber complex way we elect at large Senators does not strike me as particularly flawed.

What does this all mean Lewis? Am I missing the curve here?  Yes, DWTL, Lewis really is, the jewel in the crown here. He is the man who knows, and tells his knowing with a word that is good. What would we do without him?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 07:53:46 PM »

Here is what the bill that DWDL proposes to remove does:

It provides rules for administration of elections in the case that regional Senate seats are abolished. It only becomes operative with an executive order, which would be given if and only if regional Senate seats are nationalized. At the moment, it does nothing, but acts as a precaution.

Well then it seems masturbatory, and I am too old for that to give me much pleasure anymore. Sad
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 08:23:38 PM »

As an aside, are we sure this Bill does not eliminate the 5 national proportional senate seats? Just asking, so we are sure we know what we are doing. I need all the help I can get. As I said elsewhere, asking questions, and more questions, is job one!
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 08:26:49 PM »

This proposes repeal of an existing law.

The law in question does not, because that would require a constitutional amendment. It simply establishes guidelines in case of a nationalization. The same process was used for nationalization of at-large seats.

Thanks Xahar, for helping an old man down the steps. Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 08:33:51 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2008, 08:38:57 PM by Torie »

"Proportional Representation (Class A seats) Act is hereby repealed"

So this does not sh**t can anything to do with Class A seats, unless and until they are nationalized, by Constitutional Amendment? If they are sh**t canned and made national, absent this statute, or Constitutional language to elect them, then there is no method of electing them absent a subsequent enabling statute  by whatever Constitutional amendment which sh**t cans them. Is that correct?  Thereby, this proposal leaves a void that does not currently exist in the event, our  fundamental document is changed, to jettison or further  enervate the already largely comatose regions. Is that correct?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 08:42:13 PM »

Then we need to table this waste of space and time, per my original but not fully informed instinct animating my pending motion. Thanks to all for  helping me with this. I appreciate it, including you, DWTL. Now, get down and dirty and help me with this pending welfare bill!
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 03:49:19 PM »

Aye.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 11:52:28 PM »

Folks have been distracted by the election in the other place.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 05:28:57 PM »

Is this a redux of what we have already done?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 05:33:32 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2008, 05:45:53 PM by Torie »

Oh God. DWTL, you need to take lessons from me on how to win friends and influence people above and beyond, even though I love ya like a bother man. Smiley

Nay.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 06:06:51 PM »

I understand harvesting new blood. Good luck. It won't work, I don't think in this case. I hope my votes have been consistent, but I am taking the day off (it's a glorious day), and am already drinking, so maybe I am not, and will need to revisit it all. Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2008, 11:12:40 AM »

What are your intentions Jas and Torie?  To keep this on the floor until the next senate or something?  I'll keep debate open as long as possible if need be all your doing is stalling which I did last time because it was the END of a senate session.  Backlog a bill like this for two months in hopes that prospects will look brighter? 

And Torie I really don't understand your vote considering you said that regional senate seats would disappear over your dead body Smiley

Correct me if I am wrong here DWTL. This legislation does not get rid of regional seats. It just creates a procedure if they are eventually done away with. Isn't that right? If so, this seems to be something of an onanistic exercise on all sides.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2008, 11:33:33 AM »
« Edited: November 09, 2008, 11:38:05 AM by Torie »

Hmmm. Is the plan here to filibuster this until the next election or what? Lewis?  If so, I don't think this bill is worth spending that kind of time on, one way or the other. Absent something other than the plan is to keep  someone will keep posting on this thread for the next two months, I will be changing my vote on this. When does this vote time out?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2008, 04:23:56 PM »

Hmmm. Is the plan here to filibuster this until the next election or what? Lewis?  If so, I don't think this bill is worth spending that kind of time on, one way or the other. Absent something other than the plan is to keep  someone will keep posting on this thread for the next two months, I will be changing my vote on this. When does this vote time out?
I haven't the slightest clue why Dwtl is pulling those strange cloture motions here. Although I would like to point out that if you want to filibuster it, you have my support. And if Jas and Al help too, this bill might actually die Wink - thing is though, if it wasn't for that second cloture motion, we'd be in a final vote right now.

Well, maybe let this one die, and if someone filibusters, bring it back. We need to go to a vote on the merits, but unless there is a filibuster, cloture seems a bit of a bull in the china shop thingy.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 01:43:25 PM »

I suppose if I were to bring a cloture motion of my own now in the hope of dragging this thing out yet another week, Torie'd change his vote.

So I'm doing nothing of the kind. Smiley

Ya, let us bring this to a vote please. I move for a vote.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 02:04:02 PM »

Fair enough my PPT.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2008, 12:08:21 PM »

That is all very interesting Jas. It is always a pleasure to learn more about you. Tongue

I hereby move for cloture.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2008, 12:03:57 PM »

aye
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2008, 08:55:22 PM »

Aye. Anything to get rid of "that" one way or the other is a good thing.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies