Horse takes up painting, has works exhibited Bill (Vetoed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:44:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Horse takes up painting, has works exhibited Bill (Vetoed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Horse takes up painting, has works exhibited Bill (Vetoed)  (Read 11440 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« on: October 26, 2008, 07:11:52 PM »

Aye
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 07:47:55 PM »

The only reason I said that is because many senator automatically dismiss bills with my name attached to them Tongue

Basically, the reasoning is this.  This statue is meaningless and basically is a ploy to try and convince people to support eliminating regional senate seats.  Proponents cite that it will bring competitive elections and want to use the same formula as before as this bill does.  The fact is while the elections may become a tad more competitive, you are completely losing the aspect of senators having to appeal to a certain region.  For example, a referendum senate election in the Dirty South on regional rights (PiT v. BaconKing) has all the excitement of national elections, except it is a 1 on 1 different type of excitement.  Sure, some elections like yours and AndrewCTs were unchallenged, but that is because you both fit your region well and the forces that be did not want to challenge you.  The fact is if national elections were held, I'm quite sure that you and Andrew would have been elected as well as PiT.  However, Lewis very well may not have and therefore the Midwest and its small population would be lacking representation.  You also would miss out on the madness in the Mideast.  This is now two elections in a row (last time in the Southeast) that there has been an insane election providing a ton of excitement.  Why would we want to end these spectacles?

What a remarkable amount of twaddle.
The SE election isn't competitive, nor was it ever likely to be given the new regional demographics.
The only 'competitive' election this cycle is in the Mideast, where the majority of the electorate can't bear to vote for the only declared candidate and have no idea what to do.

Whatever about the merits of having regional elections, trying to paint the current set of regional elections is utterly ridiculous. Indeed, you have to go back quite some time to find a cycle of regional elections where they could reasonably be described as competitive.

If you want to keep regional elections - fine. But please leave the propaganda outside the Senate.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 07:59:12 PM »

The only propaganda being spread around is that if you oppose nationalizing all senate elections you are an idiot.

Holding onto regional Senate seats is a perfectly valid political opinion.
I wish the regional elections were competitive, but pretending that they are doesn't help anyone or address the fundamental problem.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 08:21:30 PM »

The only propaganda being spread around is that if you oppose nationalizing all senate elections you are an idiot.
Holding onto regional Senate seats is a perfectly valid political opinion.
I wish the regional elections were competitive, but pretending that they are doesn't help anyone or address the fundamental problem.
There is no pretending.  If an incumbent is defeated that has to be considered a competitive election,

The only standard by which an election can be judged competitive is the margin of victory.

the Mideast and Southeast chaos is not make believe either.  Hell, the Southeast race took over a month to settle.  That kind of chaos is what we need more of, not less

What on earth are you on about?
What chaos in the SE? 
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 08:27:21 PM »

As an aside, are we sure this Bill does not eliminate the 5 national proportional senate seats? Just asking, so we are sure we know what we are doing. I need all the help I can get. As I said elsewhere, asking questions, and more questions, is job one!

Quite certain. The current proportionately elected seats were put in place, statutarily, by F.L. 21-2, the Proportional Representation Act.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 08:36:25 PM »

"Proportional Representation (Class A seats) Act is hereby repealed"

So this does not sh**t can anything to do with Class A seats, unless and until they are nationalized, by Constitutional Amendment? If they are sh**t canned, absent this statute, or Constitutional language to elect them, then there is no method of electing them absent a subsequent statute enabled by whatever Constitutional amendment which sh**t cans them. Is that correct?

That would be my understanding.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 04:27:59 AM »

Aye
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 10:30:17 AM »

Nay
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 11:10:15 AM »

In order to try and implement certain key aspects of my party's platform, I propose the following amendment to replace the bill in full:

Horse takes up painting, has works exhibited Bill

1. All Atlasian submarines shall be fitted for screen doors.

2. Asparagus shall be suppliable on demand at Post Offices to all persons whose age is a prime number.

3. The colour silver is hereby banned in Atlasia.

4. The number of letters in the alphabet shall be raised to 32. A Presidential committee shall present new letters for consideration to the Senate within 6 months of this bill's passage.

5. Flan shall hereby be the national dessert.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 12:14:44 PM »

That is all very interesting Jas. It is always a pleasure to learn more about you. Tongue

Thanks. Smiley
I hope I can count on your vote!
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 12:44:30 PM »

In order to try and implement certain key aspects of my party's platform, I propose the following amendment to replace the bill in full:

Horse takes up painting, has works exhibited Bill

1. All Atlasian submarines shall be fitted for screen doors.

2. Asparagus shall be suppliable on demand at Post Offices to all persons whose age is a prime number.

3. The colour silver is hereby banned in Atlasia.

4. The number of letters in the alphabet shall be raised to 32. A Presidential committee shall present new letters for consideration to the Senate within 6 months of this bill's passage.

5. Flan shall hereby be the national dessert.

I love sections 1, 2, & 5. I'm not as sure about 3 & 4, but I'll probably end up voting aye on it.

Excellent! Grin
Many thanks Senator!
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 07:46:34 AM »

Aye
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 04:17:51 AM »

Aye Grin