Gallup World Polling: Obama beats McCain by 51 in Japan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:52:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  Gallup World Polling: Obama beats McCain by 51 in Japan
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Gallup World Polling: Obama beats McCain by 51 in Japan  (Read 3518 times)
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2008, 01:12:06 PM »

Quick Question: Why is Obama doing so well in other nations? AMerica must be the most Conservative I guess.
Several reasons:

1) The US IS amongst the more conservative countries in the world - certainly in comparison with Europe. Denmark would certainly be a rock-solid democratic state each and every time if we were allowed to vote.

2) The Bush policies are EXTREMELY unpopular amongst just about everybody around the world, except for terrorists who has a much easier time recruiting now due to the low popularity of the US under Bush. Most countries really doesn't like the unilateral way of conducting foreign policy. Neither do other countries appreciate the "either you're with us or against us rhetoric".

3) Obama appears to be a uniter who actually believes in diplomacy and international cooperation.

4) Obama might actually make the US live up to its responsibilities on climate change, instead of sabotaging any initiative the way Bush has done.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2008, 02:48:37 AM »

How do they conduct polls in countries like Kenya and India, where many people don't have phones?

Yeah. Even really poor people have phones nowadays.

In fact, many African cell phone carriers have more functional capacities (bill paying, wire transfers) than US cells phones.

It's like an anecdote I heard from a professor when I was in law school.  He visited Estonia, and his host asked to see what a check looked like.  He had never seen one before, because they do "everything" electronically.  (Probably hyperbole, but the point is salient.)

The US is really quite far behind in infrastructure.

not necessarily: I travelled in India last summer, and most people I met didn't have cell phones. China, obviously is a different story: it has a cell phone network that puts America's to utter shame.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2008, 11:22:24 AM »

How do they conduct polls in countries like Kenya and India, where many people don't have phones?

Yeah. Even really poor people have phones nowadays.

In fact, many African cell phone carriers have more functional capacities (bill paying, wire transfers) than US cells phones.

It's like an anecdote I heard from a professor when I was in law school.  He visited Estonia, and his host asked to see what a check looked like.  He had never seen one before, because they do "everything" electronically.  (Probably hyperbole, but the point is salient.)

The US is really quite far behind in infrastructure.

not necessarily: I travelled in India last summer, and most people I met didn't have cell phones. China, obviously is a different story: it has a cell phone network that puts America's to utter shame.

India has some pretty special circumstances due to their legacy with the license raj.  But I also don't mean to imply that cell phones (or phones in general) are universal everywhere in the world, either.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2008, 06:16:44 PM »

Quick Question: Why is Obama doing so well in other nations? AMerica must be the most Conservative I guess.

The Republican Party would be a far-right loony party in France.
LanceMcSteel

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2008, 07:37:03 PM »

Obama is clearly Big in Japan.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies