Atlasia National Energy Act (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:53:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasia National Energy Act (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlasia National Energy Act  (Read 6353 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« on: September 15, 2004, 07:42:28 PM »

I would like to take the time and introduce this bill for debate in the senate.

National Energy Act

1. The responsibility for the approval of oil refinery construction shall be
taken away from the Environmental Protection Association and given to the
Department of Treasury.

As a non-american, i'll have to sorta play this by ear a little bit; I believe that this would be acceptable.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I won't support this; we shouldn't be encouraging more refineries by easing restrictions; the current restrictions are doing at least part of the job that needs to be done towards a cleaner future for all atlasians.

I completely agree with this; it is important that the nation has a secure and similar system especially after events in Texas over the last few weeks.

But they are NOT sedans; how could they possibly be classified as sedans? Either create a new catergory for them, or leave them in light trucks; that is where their petrol usage, size and history fits best.

I agree with this, but I would propose:

5. CAFE standards shall be altered to strengthen fuel efficiency by increasing fuel efficiency 5% a gallon every 5 years across the board.

BTW, as a non-american-whats CAFE?

Why? I believe that if we kept the same amount of tax and recquired the states to use the extra 9c on Public transport, we'd significantly reduce car usage, and the people would be better off-their taxes aren't higher but they have better services.

Absolutely agree. We should focus heavily on expanding into ethanol; not only does it help the environment but it halps ur struglling sugar farmers as well.

I agree, and believe that is a good amount, but I stll consider ethanol should be our first priority in developing clean fuel because of the sugar farmers.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 12:45:12 AM »

If we were to vote on the bill exactly as is, I would probably support it, but the fact remains that this bill is certainly not all that is should be.

I strongly suggest that my fellow senators continue the debate on the bill. I am willing to support the cut in petrol taxes, but solely due to the fact that Sen. Stevennick is able to support fuel efficiency.

John D. Ford-I think that whilst my proposal for section 5 is quite strong, I also feel it is the best way to prevent this crisis reoccuring, and to protect the enironment. The 5$% can be a gradual process over the years; 1% a year is certainly achievable with the right attitude, funding and industrial and governmental support to do so.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2004, 01:46:20 AM »

I think numbers 3,5,7, and 8 are good.  

However, the basic problem I have with the bill is the general idea that we need to make oil easier for people to get and cheaper for them to get. What we need to do is get people off oil. Not just middle eastern oil, but oil in general. There is not enough oil to go around, and soon we will realize this the hard way.

This is why we have the ethanol tax credit expansion and research for hydrogen fuel.

Whether anyone likes it or not the world is dependent on oil for now.  We better make sure that its price doesn't cripple our economy or we'll never be prosperous enough to develop new ways of doing things.

Western European countries live and prosper with oil at $5.00 per gallon, why can't we?

We can't keep adjusting our laws to make it easier and cheaper to get gasoline just because it may be a little expensive at this time, eventually the oil will run out, and then our economy will suffer a huge blow. When that time will be, no one can say for sure, except that it will come soon, and it will come.

Europeans live a different style of life than we do.  They have more condensed communites, for starters, making auto travel less necessary.  How would someone in Los Angeles make a living with gas at $5 a gallon?  There is no meaningful public transit, and even if there was busses run on gasoline and rising gas costs will drive up bus fare.  In Europe, and even on some East coast cities, subways and walking are reasonable.  However, in the suburb heavy sunbelt, this is impossible.  Cars are a necessity.

There is nothing that a reasonable person could say beyond that point.  I have allocated over a billion dollars for alternative fuel research and tax credits.  25% of this bill is provisions for weaning us off oil in the future (ethanol and hydrogen) and another 25% (the CAFE provisions) is a conservation effort.

What would assuage your concerns?  Subsidies to companies or localities that build windfarms?  Tax credits for individuals that install solar panels on their houses to heat their homes?  Name something we can add to get your vote, because I think a bill with either of those amendments would easily get signed.  But this bill does no good if it doesn't give consumers direct relief (in the form of the gas tax cut) and long term relief (in the form of new regulations) for high gas prices.

In area, Melbourne Australia is thw eorlds' fifth largest city; a sprawl of suburbs that houses 5 million people. In Australia, petrol is expensive-about $A1.00 a litre-i'm not sure how that equates to gallons, but I know it is more expensive then in the US.

But this doesn't cause any problems, because despitrem ourm huge size, we have an efficient public transport system of trains, trams and buses, as does Sydney, Perth, Brisbane and all the other major Australian cities.

Petrol (gas) can be expensive and not cause major problems, as long as you use some of the money from petrol taxes etc. on tings like public transportation; one of the few areas the federal government legisltaes where money must be spent is on public transport (state governments can spend above this of course, however). Because Melbournes' system is now privatised, we get less ederal funding, but the fact is that the federal funding set up the system that can get me from my house in the inner south of the city to the outer west in 40 minutes; the outer northeast in an hour and a quarter, and my school in 45 minutes, all by cheap bus, tram or train-$A3.00 for a daily ticket.

Considering the size of Melbourne, and the price of petrol, I'd have to say your arguments don't fully fit, John. The 'car culture' isn't only around because of the sprawls in cities like LA; it's around because nobody does anything to change it like they did here.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 04:09:18 AM »

^
^

which is one of the many reasons why we need to concentrate on ethanol.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 08:14:10 PM »

a timid and unsure aye
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 06:48:17 PM »

It's passed, then.

*presents the President with a pen*
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2004, 06:54:24 PM »

Texasgurl, there are more pro-environment then anti-environment measures in this. Added to that is the fact that we won't get a veto on the FP Bill.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies