Atlasia National Energy Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:45:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasia National Energy Act
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Atlasia National Energy Act  (Read 6418 times)
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2004, 03:20:38 AM »
« edited: September 17, 2004, 03:45:32 AM by John Ford »

I think numbers 3,5,7, and 8 are good.  

However, the basic problem I have with the bill is the general idea that we need to make oil easier for people to get and cheaper for them to get. What we need to do is get people off oil. Not just middle eastern oil, but oil in general. There is not enough oil to go around, and soon we will realize this the hard way.

This is why we have the ethanol tax credit expansion and research for hydrogen fuel.

Whether anyone likes it or not the world is dependent on oil for now.  We better make sure that its price doesn't cripple our economy or we'll never be prosperous enough to develop new ways of doing things.

Western European countries live and prosper with oil at $5.00 per gallon, why can't we?

We can't keep adjusting our laws to make it easier and cheaper to get gasoline just because it may be a little expensive at this time, eventually the oil will run out, and then our economy will suffer a huge blow. When that time will be, no one can say for sure, except that it will come soon, and it will come.

Europeans live a different style of life than we do.  They have more condensed communites, for starters, making auto travel less necessary.  How would someone in Los Angeles make a living with gas at $5 a gallon?  There is no meaningful public transit, and even if there was busses run on gasoline and rising gas costs will drive up bus fare.  In Europe, and even on some East coast cities, subways and walking are reasonable.  However, in the suburb heavy sunbelt, this is impossible.  Cars are a necessity.

There is nothing that a reasonable person could say beyond that point.  I have allocated over a billion dollars for alternative fuel research and tax credits.  25% of this bill is provisions for weaning us off oil in the future (ethanol and hydrogen) and another 25% (the CAFE provisions) is a conservation effort.

What would assuage your concerns?  Subsidies to companies or localities that build windfarms?  Tax credits for individuals that install solar panels on their houses to heat their homes?  Name something we can add to get your vote, because I think a bill with either of those amendments would easily get signed.  But this bill does no good if it doesn't give consumers direct relief (in the form of the gas tax cut) and long term relief (in the form of new regulations) for high gas prices.

In area, Melbourne Australia is thw eorlds' fifth largest city; a sprawl of suburbs that houses 5 million people. In Australia, petrol is expensive-about $A1.00 a litre-i'm not sure how that equates to gallons, but I know it is more expensive then in the US.

But this doesn't cause any problems, because despitrem ourm huge size, we have an efficient public transport system of trains, trams and buses, as does Sydney, Perth, Brisbane and all the other major Australian cities.

Petrol (gas) can be expensive and not cause major problems, as long as you use some of the money from petrol taxes etc. on tings like public transportation; one of the few areas the federal government legisltaes where money must be spent is on public transport (state governments can spend above this of course, however). Because Melbournes' system is now privatised, we get less ederal funding, but the fact is that the federal funding set up the system that can get me from my house in the inner south of the city to the outer west in 40 minutes; the outer northeast in an hour and a quarter, and my school in 45 minutes, all by cheap bus, tram or train-$A3.00 for a daily ticket.

Considering the size of Melbourne, and the price of petrol, I'd have to say your arguments don't fully fit, John. The 'car culture' isn't only around because of the sprawls in cities like LA; it's around because nobody does anything to change it like they did here.

I did the conversion, and australian gasoline is about $2.50 a gallon.  When I bought gasoline today, in west LA, it was $2.09 a gallon.  That means in San Diego where I'm originally from it was probably $2.15 a gallon.  In Australian terms, it would be about 55 cents per liter or so for American gas.

I don't think we should pretend that there is a huge difference between Australian petrol and American.  Its more costly in Australia, sure.  But its not like the difference between the US and the European countries where gas is $5 a gallon, or more than $1 per liter.  America could get by with $2.50 a gallon, but we're used to paying $1.70 a gallon.  Its better for our economy to pay less, so I'm inclined to say "I don't just want to get by at the bare minimum, I want to do really well because my workers and small business owners depend on exactly that."

$2.50 a gallon is what Atlasia is apying right now basically for gasoline with the current oil crunch.  Yeah, we could probably make due.  But truckers would be hurt, and that isn't something public transit can fix.  That means that shipping things is more expensive.  That means all goods become more expensive.  You get inflation and the purchasing power of the dollar erodes.  There are a lot of problems like that that subways don't fix.

We've put a lot of provisions in this bill to get us using less oil, and to make cars more efficient.  But the reality is, and I'm not saying you're right or wrong about public transit although there is something to be said for expanding it and there really isn't much of an argument more less public transit, but the reality is that there is no infrastructure to support it in America and there is no demand for it if it ever did get put together.  When they built the new AMTRAK commuter train from New York to Boston they hoped they'd reduce highway traffic on the East Coast.  They just ended up with an empty commuter train instead.  Americans, right or wrong, aren't all ready for a more public transportation sytem.

We can have a debate about public transit, and I think I'll agree with you more often than I disagree, but the reality is that America as a country isn't ready for the same conversation you and I are.  That's the core of my bias towards cheapening gasoline over building subways, is I know that in America all you get is emtpy subways.  The last time the used the LA subway was for the ending scene in Speed with Keanu Reeves and Dennis Hopper.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2004, 01:40:45 AM »

But hydrogen isn‘t even a fuel!!! It’s only a way of STORING fuel。 You need electricity to make the hydrogen, so there。
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2004, 02:06:16 AM »

But hydrogen isn‘t even a fuel!!! It’s only a way of STORING fuel。 You need electricity to make the hydrogen, so there。

Most of what you wrote is illegible, but I think what you're saying is that hydrogen is only a way to store energy and you want to know where the energy it will store is coming from.

If this is your beef, then fine.  The energy will come from the same place your home's heat comes from--power plants.  Hopefully, these will be nuclear or solar plants, but as is, what kind of plant we build is going to be determined by the market and what kind of plant is cheapest to build and maintain.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2004, 04:09:18 AM »

^
^

which is one of the many reasons why we need to concentrate on ethanol.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2004, 02:56:24 PM »

Are we ready for a vote?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2004, 02:58:21 PM »

A vote should have been called on the 22nd, it is now the 24th.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2004, 03:55:30 PM »

A vote should have been called on the 22nd, it is now the 24th.

Does that mean it has to be re-introduced?

Or can we just ignore that rule because of the "solar flares"?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2004, 04:51:24 PM »

I think we can become active again...and I'll call a vote on this.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2004, 06:42:43 PM »

Nay.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2004, 06:58:33 PM »

Aye.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2004, 08:09:55 PM »

Aye!
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2004, 08:14:10 PM »

a timid and unsure aye
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2004, 09:13:54 AM »
« Edited: September 25, 2004, 09:17:43 AM by migrendel »

Nay. It might have become unfashionable to care about air quality, but I'm still fond of breathing. To me, there is no reason to weaken air standards so that SUVs can become more common. It doesn't take Sigmund Freud to realize that half the men who drive them do so to psychologically compensate for a rather inexpressible deficiency. I would suggest to use public transportation of walk. It's really not that difficult to do either.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2004, 10:23:37 AM »

Sorry.  I can't take sections 1 and 6.
Nay.

Sad The rest was so good.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2004, 11:45:34 AM »

Nay. It might have become unfashionable to care about air quality, but I'm still fond of breathing. To me, there is no reason to weaken air standards so that SUVs can become more common. It doesn't take Sigmund Freud to realize that half the men who drive them do so to psychologically compensate for a rather inexpressible deficiency. I would suggest to use public transportation of walk. It's really not that difficult to do either.

Do you actually follow what goes on in this? The whole oil crisis with crude at over 60$ a barrel?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2004, 01:32:55 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2004, 01:33:11 PM by John Ford »

Do you actually follow what goes on in this? The whole oil crisis with crude at over 60$ a barrel?

Not to mention an increase in the gasoline standard and billions of tax credits and subsidies for cleaner fuels.

Never mind migrendel, he's just an unreformable communist.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2004, 02:08:15 PM »

Nay.  I'm only favoring the clauses I've have said previously.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2004, 02:12:54 PM »

Aye
Hughento
King
Nation

Nay
migrendel
IrishDemocrat
Harry
texasgurl

Not voted
StevenNick
StatesRights
Akno
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2004, 02:13:33 PM »

Nay.

If we pulled section 1, would you vote aye?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2004, 02:28:33 PM »

Nay.

If you'd pulled 1 and 6, then definitely.  I think the gas tax should remain at 18c to provide sufficient revenue for transportation matters, such as road repair.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2004, 02:31:04 PM »

Nay.

If you'd pulled 1 and 6, then definitely.  I think the gas tax should remain at 18c to provide sufficient revenue for transportation matters, such as road repair.
Same goes for me.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2004, 02:32:27 PM »

Nay.

Same goes for me.

We cna get that money from the general revenue fund.  No cuts have to be made for road repair.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2004, 02:33:41 PM »

Would either of you vote if I simply removed section 1, and kept section 6 in?  I really don't believe you have anything to worry about by lowering the gas tax.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2004, 02:35:35 PM »

Everyone has to make compromises to get us out of the energy crisis.  You give us the gas tax cut (actually, we even backed off from a 9 cent cut to a 6 cent cut), you get to keep the EPA in charge of power plant construction.

Hughento voted aye when we gave him a little bit in terms of compromise.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2004, 06:07:58 PM »

Aye
Hughento
King
Nation

Nay