BRTD's county map predictions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 10:49:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  BRTD's county map predictions
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: BRTD's county map predictions  (Read 29337 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2008, 09:06:20 PM »

I'll do some later, but some comments for now:

-As said above, Florida was probably a bit of an overstimation thanks to me basing it off the 2000 map, and will be revised, but I have a theory about parts of Florida that if true will lead to some surprising results. And the part that would piss of StatesRight is Hillsborough county, which is not changing.
-Kerry's performance in rural Missouri was not normal for a Democrat, even one losing by that margin. Nor was Gore's even. Look at the 2006 Senate map, McCaskill won some 2004 >60% Bush counties, and won a lot more than Kerry or Gore even though she did only three points better than Kerry in percentage of the vote. Kerry even lost Columbia county, which he had absolutely no business doing, and if Obama does I'll eat my shoe. For that map btw I'm assuming basically a tie, I have it going Obama but that might be wishful thinking, if you want to consider it an almost tie going McCain go ahead, there won't be much difference.
-If you note, Monmouth is >40, aka very close. I don't know about the demographic changes Verily mentions, but overall it seems to be a generally Republican county Gore overperformed in. Hell, Gore even almost won Ocean.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2008, 01:46:46 AM »

Here's a state that'll be tough to predict, but that I seem to have a strange talent for predicting right if the primary is any indication:

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2008, 07:38:32 AM »

Here's a state that'll be tough to predict, but that I seem to have a strange talent for predicting right if the primary is any indication:

I think, though I could easily be wrong, that Vanderburgh might fall before some of the river counties or even, maybe, before the likes of Porter.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2008, 11:20:39 AM »

I based the FL map off 2000 so I might've overestimated a bit and'll probably revamp it. But I have a theory about FL based off the current polling which if true will give some surprising results (trying to be vague Sam Spade-style.)

Politico reports that the Florida Republican Party under Charlie Crist has broken with the McCain camp and is husbanding its money for the next election cycle. That's going to hurt the McCain ticket because they rely on institutional support in a big way in Florida.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2008, 11:22:07 AM »

I think his point is that if the trend continues in FL, it will be about 4 points more GOP than the national average.

This will be the first election in a very long while in which Florida's economy will be substantially worse off than the country's.

A state where retirees feel like kings in their paid-off homes and anyone with a wrench can make a good living is a Republican state. That doesn't quite describe the Gulf Coast in 2008.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #105 on: October 20, 2008, 11:27:48 AM »

Monmouth is changing, though. It's become even more wealthy exurban, and the downscale areas have shrunk. Obama could still win if he massively increases his margin in Middletown and the rest of the northern coast, but, since there's no serious campaign in NJ, I doubt that happens.

Ok. When I was a kid, a lot of the upscale parts of Monmouth County were populated by the Jewish diaspora from New York, much as in Middlesex County. This is a group that swung quite a bit from 2000 to 2004, with 2000 easily a high-water mark. I'm not sure how far they'll swing back in 2008, but it helps that Palin is pushing all of the same buttons that Bush did on them.

On a more general note, the Census indicates that Monmouth is growing more slowly than the state as a whole, 2000-2006. The Asian population is significantly smaller than it is in Somerset, Mercer, or Middlesex Counties. Those two facts would seem to be hard to square with the idea of its growing more affluent via exurban growth, but you know more than I do.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #106 on: October 20, 2008, 11:30:56 AM »

A state where retirees feel like kings in their paid-off homes and anyone with a wrench can make a good living is a Republican state. That doesn't quite describe the Gulf Coast in 2008.

Generalize much?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #107 on: October 20, 2008, 11:32:47 AM »

Generalize much?

All the time! Aren't I good at it?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #108 on: October 20, 2008, 12:21:32 PM »

I think, though I could easily be wrong, that Vanderburgh might fall before some of the river counties or even, maybe, before the likes of Porter.

Maybe. It's >40 though.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2008, 03:14:35 PM »

Determining where exactly the swings were going to take place here was kind of tough:

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #110 on: October 20, 2008, 03:22:01 PM »

Still not much South, though I can kind of understand why. Southern states have tons of counties. Tongue

Tons of counties + boring = a toxic combo.

There are a number of interesting places in the South. How will racial turnout affect the counties of the Deep South? How will Obama do in the traditionally Democratic Tennessee River Valley of TN and AL? All the state polls are showing huge Democratic swings in VA and NC. Where will these be? How will Katrina impact voters along the MS and LA coasts?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #111 on: October 20, 2008, 03:28:39 PM »

I was thinking in terms of how boring most of Mississippi would be.

Anyway, I bet my Iowa map will probably give WalterMitty a heart attack when he sees it.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #112 on: October 20, 2008, 09:55:11 PM »

Ugh, Vigo county's gonna hurt.  It voted with every winner of a presidential election since 1920.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #113 on: October 20, 2008, 09:55:32 PM »

Virginia gogogo!
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2008, 09:56:27 PM »

Could you post the margin whoever wins by along with the map, even if it's just a rough margin?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #115 on: October 20, 2008, 11:46:30 PM »

It's a shame you got all those annoying independent cities.

Could you post the margin whoever wins by along with the map, even if it's just a rough margin?

OK but I rarely have more than a rough margin in my head.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #116 on: October 21, 2008, 12:02:37 AM »

Here's a boring as shit one:

Obama doing just very slightly worse than Kerry.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #117 on: October 21, 2008, 12:05:37 AM »

Determining where exactly the swings were going to take place here was kind of tough:

Well, I checked out Sioux County to make sure you had the color right, and you did! I am not sure Madison County should be blue, by the way.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #118 on: October 21, 2008, 12:06:47 AM »

I've seen Sioux County license plates here. It's weird. I'd figured here would be the last place any such person would go, they probably consider Sioux City an evil hotbed of debauchery much less Minneapolis. Then again maybe they're some of the few sane people escaping.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #119 on: October 21, 2008, 12:10:44 AM »

I've seen Sioux County license plates here. It's weird. I'd figured here would be the last place any such person would go, they probably consider Sioux City an evil hotbed of debauchery much less Minneapolis. Then again maybe they're some of the few sane people escaping.

Madison County has almost no blacks or Catholics, and tends to float a bit, and has some commuters to Des Moines. I suspect it will swing more than the nation.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #120 on: October 21, 2008, 12:13:04 AM »

Madison County has almost no blacks or Catholics, and tends to float a bit, and has some commuters to Des Moines. I suspect it will swing more than the nation.

That's a valid reason it might not.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #121 on: October 21, 2008, 12:20:46 AM »

Al would know a lot more for this:

Imagine McCain by about 7 or so. No he's not winning by double digits, yes, he's winning by less than Wyoming, no he's not close to winning every county.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #122 on: October 21, 2008, 12:27:52 AM »
« Edited: October 21, 2008, 12:30:11 AM by Ronnie »

I'm skeptical about Jefferson, Summers, Harrison, Wayne and Wyoming county.  Otherwise, it's okay.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #123 on: October 21, 2008, 12:34:59 AM »

Wyoming? It voted for Gore by over 10 points, and this margin is assuming a lot closer to Gore's numbers than Kerry's.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #124 on: October 21, 2008, 12:39:08 AM »

Wyoming? It voted for Gore by over 10 points, and this margin is assuming a lot closer to Gore's numbers than Kerry's.

It doesn't necessarily mean that it will swing that much to Obama.  Obama would have to swing the county 17+ points in his direction.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies