Predict the Obama Presidency
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:45:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Predict the Obama Presidency
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Predict the Obama Presidency  (Read 6477 times)
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 11, 2008, 10:58:24 PM »

So, what kind of Presidency do you think he'll have?

I'm interested both in what his supporters expect from his and what his detractors fear from him.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 11:02:14 PM »

I envision Jimmy Carter's second term. Well, I really don't expect anyone to have a good term, whether it be McCain or Obama. I think this country will be extremely polarized when he gets into office, and if he tries to push his liberal agenda forward, we could see a backlash in 2010 with a GOP resurgence in congress. I just see him as being an ineffective leader, which he has proven with his track record. I doubt he's going to have people do all the work for him so he can take credit like he's had done for him throughout his senate and Chicago days.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 11:03:39 PM »

Bad bad bad
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 11:04:30 PM »

One good,  Sen. Obama will have close to 60 Democratic or liberal senaters in the Senate. But I he will have an ok first term.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 11:05:34 PM »

Move over, Jimmy!
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 11:11:07 PM »

Better than Carter, a little worse than Clinton.  Overall, maybe a 5.5 out of 10; enough to get him reelected in 2012.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 11:14:21 PM »

He has McCain arrested and extradited to Vietnam for his crimes.

Hey, I can dream...
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 11:14:50 PM »

I was hoping for a little more detail.  What kinds of things do you think he'll try to do?  How successful will he be at it?  What will the country and the world look like in four years?
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 11:15:08 PM »

+ A repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell within the first year.

+ A tax plan very similar to that of Bill Clinton's; the marginal highest tax rate will be raised to 39% and the capital gains tax will be raised.

+ Universal health care legislation pushed through by the end of his first year.

+ A sizable investment in alternative energies in a New Deal-like packaging that will help create new jobs and build new infrastructure.

+ Hank Paulson will not keep his job. Ben Bernanke will be replaced in 2010.

+ Above all, his first term will be defined by how he deals with the incoming economic tidal wave... his first few years will be defined by it. If he can successfully steer the country of a recession (or close to it) by 2012 , he will win re-election in a huge landslide.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 11:23:40 PM »

whores himself to the right wing and wins re-election and becomes a dick
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 12:51:53 AM »

Depends. If the victory is high enough, he'll ride the honeymoon to Mid-2009 with favorables at 60-65%. The first he'll do is a check of finances, which exposes that the Bush regime has run up a deficit of 800 Billion $, rather than 400 Bio. $ If the economy recovers by then, Congress passes a few good laws (Socialized Medicine after lobbying by Hillary Clinton), as well as pulling out of Iraq, Obama may coast to re-election in 2012 by defeating Mitt Romney 62-38.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 12:55:13 AM »

Obama may coast to re-election in 2012 by defeating Mitt Romney 62-38.

Oh man...
Vsanto5
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: 3.23

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 12:56:09 AM »

I hope its a sh**tty Left wing agenda anything is better than getting buttf.ucked for 8 years of George Dubya Bush, thus Rightwingers will have a huge mandate to get this bastard out of office in 2012. LOLZ
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 01:00:35 AM »

I think he will be a very successful president, even given the tough circumstances he will come into office with.  I think he will be extremely successful in foreigh policy, and leave the world a much more peaceful and stable place.  He will be a highly respected and admired leader around the world.

The bad news is that the economic troubles in this country will prevent him from doing a lot of things he wants to accomplish (universal healthcare). 
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 01:09:43 AM »

Good foreign policy, bad everything else.  Might get some traction on curbing spending, but with a partisan bent to the prioritization.
humder
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 02:00:05 AM »

The world image of America will soar dramatically.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 02:05:59 AM »

whores himself to the right wing and wins re-election and becomes a dick

Agreed. Its a process that is inevitable for those idealistic types who seek and ultimately become President of the United States, take for example Jimmy Carter and we all know what happened to him.

The Obama/Biden Administration would do the following in its first term:

- Replace the entire Cabinet

Who would have thought? I know I wouldn't have dared.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2008, 02:16:32 AM »

Wouldn't it be awesome if Obama keeps Gates on board like some think he will?  This would become Politico's most famous quote.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2008, 05:48:11 AM »
« Edited: October 12, 2008, 06:28:56 AM by Politico »

Wouldn't it be awesome if Obama keeps Gates on board like some think he will?  This would become Politico's most famous quote.

I think he's going to replace the entire Cabinet, including Gates. That does not mean Obama will not appoint Republicans, though, but it will certainly not be a Bush Doctrine Republican.

I think William Cohen ought to be Secretary of Defense again.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2008, 06:19:32 AM »

I have high hopes for a Obama presidency, although I'm not naive: he's not going to fundamentally change US politics.

Some important things will change though. First up, Obama is a unifier, not a divider like Dubya. He's exceptional at instilling hope and positivity in people and this is going to mean something, although he won't be able to live on it forever unless he delivers the goods.

In terms of foreign politics, things will change dramatically. Obama is popular in the US, but he's deemed a demigod in Europe and elsewhere. Did you see the "World electoral college" they had on CNN? It showed Obama leading everywhere in the world except for Georgia, Andorra and a third small country I have forgotten. I believe that the mere election of Obama and the removal of Dubya will IMMEDIATELY and dramatically shift the way that the world perceives the US. We will return to the Clinton days where the US was seen as a source of good in most places of the world. If there's any place in which rhetoric actually often means more than concrete action, then it's in foreign relations. Obama will make other countries believe that he cares about them (whether he actually does or not). Something Bush certainly didn't do.

In terms of the economy, there isn't THAT much Obama can actually do, no easy way to solve the crisis, but at least time will be working for him. 2009 and 2010 will be very tough years economically, but hopefully things will brighten up from then on.

Despite having the support of a democratic Congress, I actually believe that Obama will be much less partisan than GWB. As I said - he's a unifier. Some critics say that Obama is more style than substance, but here again style actually matters. Obama wants to be the president of all americans, not just democrats and I believe that he will succeed in doing so. The downside of this is that I believe that he won't push too hard for major reforms. Hopefully he'll at least do something on health care, but after Obamas tenure, we'll probably still be a long way from achieving universal health care.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2008, 06:28:39 AM »

I'm pretty sure that he will the best/worst president ever!
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2008, 06:36:37 AM »

The world image of America will soar dramatically.

Internationally, Obama could become the most revered American president since JFK and we saw a taste of that in Berlin. That was for but a visting American citizen, not a visiting American president

Right-wingers might like to convince themselves into believing that crowd was full of "lefties" but it wasn't. Obama's appeal, beyond his own shores, transcends any ideological chasm. McCain couldn't handle that, hence the "celebrity" attack-ads of a bitter man

There is no doubt in my mind that an articulate, forward-thinking, visionary American president can, successfully, champion America's national interest ... without pissing off just about everybody else off

Millions of people had a very ill-feeling in their water (call it intuition) about George W Bush and I was one of 'em Wink

Dave
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2008, 06:44:30 AM »

He will almost certainly end up being an enormous disappointment to many of his most devoted followers. Beyond that, I don't know. A lot depends on what goes on in financeland in the months before he takes office (assuming that he wins. Which looks very likely right now).
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2008, 09:05:31 AM »

He will almost certainly end up being an enormous disappointment to many of his most devoted followers. Beyond that, I don't know. A lot depends on what goes on in financeland in the months before he takes office (assuming that he wins. Which looks very likely right now).

Agree with this.  I like Obama, but I think he's too tied to his party to be truly effect in the ways he might want.  Change, yes, but change bastardized by the Harry Reids and Nancy Pelosis of the world.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2008, 11:29:22 AM »

Well, it looks like his followers cannot conceive a scenario in which he will be unsuccessful. Even I will admit I don't see McCain doing that well in his first term given the current state of things. But no, he'll pass universal healthcare, end the Iraq war peacefully, initiate his tax plan and raise capital gains, while seeing the DOW soar back over 14,000 because investors feel like paying capital gains taxes is patriotic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies