AL: Survey USA: McCain comfortably ahead of Obama (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:19:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  AL: Survey USA: McCain comfortably ahead of Obama (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AL: Survey USA: McCain comfortably ahead of Obama  (Read 2135 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« on: October 12, 2008, 12:04:31 PM »

The Republicans should be absolutely embarassed that states like Alabama and Oklahoma are their strongholds

Just as much as Democrats should be embarrassed that literally crumbling inner cities that have been ruled by their party for decades are their strongholds.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 12:48:34 PM »

The Republicans should be absolutely embarassed that states like Alabama and Oklahoma are their strongholds

Just as much as Democrats should be embarrassed that literally crumbling inner cities that have been ruled by their party for decades are their strongholds.

Republicans are mostly to blame for their plight and these people know it...thus the reason why they are DEM strongholds.

S-CHIP expansion - would have helped more low income families with children...nixed by Bush.
Lack of socialized medicine - socialized medicine would have immensely helped low income families...shot down by republicans.
Iraq War - gas prices have shot through the roof, causing everything to go up in price, including food...thanks Bush.
All the crap with the stock market - certainly doesnt help low income families...thanks Bush policies.

etc. etc.

Uh, huh. And when these cities are basically the same under a possible Obama Administration? Then what?

Many of them were just as bad under Democratic Presidents. Nice try, though!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 12:59:48 PM »

I love cities and I especially love my city (with all of its problems) but to deny that there are real problems and that the Democrats are mostly to blame is total hackery.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 01:09:00 PM »

I love cities and I especially love my city (with all of its problems) but to deny that there are real problems and that the Democrats are mostly to blame is total hackery.
Now that's hackery right there if I've ever seen it.

The plight of inner cities is a bipartisan f**k up, beginning after WWII with the policies of the Eisenhower administration that promoted mass movement out to the suburbs... in response, poor blacks from the south saw a chance to get some cheap real estate in the cities up north where they believed there were better chances for them, so they moved up.

But with the whites, went the tax revenues and cities began to crumble.

This prompted more white flight and racial tensions began to rise...

This is where the Democrats came in and caused problems.  They thought "well, if we just tear all the abandoned buildings down, that'll help"... urban renewal destroyed the heart of many of our cities... not to mention the civil rights movement happening on top of all of this and race riots.

Some cities began to reform in the 1970s and into the '80s... like New York.. or even Minneapolis.  While other cities continued to bleed population during the '80s, Minneapolis lost 2000 people.

In fact, during this time, condos became popular downtown again.

Now since, it has been liberals who have suggested things that actually work:  Keeping kids in school and off the streets after school, promoted mixed income neighborhoods and developments, and upping the police presence on the streets...

Sure, it hasn't all been fixed... but cities that have followed many of these policies, like Minneapolis, have been improved greatly since bottoming out in the late '70s.

Right and it's not hackish to pledge your allegiance to a party that promises to fix all of your problems and when they don't, they effectively get you to shift blame to the evil Republicans.  Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies