Mississippi
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:17:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Mississippi
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Mississippi  (Read 6267 times)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 13, 2004, 11:41:10 AM »

I know Mississippi is safe Republican (at a presidential and senatorial level anyway). The last poll has Bush on 61% and Kerry on 30%.

I understand that the state has the largest African American population of the US and assuming that Kerry has bagged most of their vote it begs the question:

'Do any whites actually vote Democratic at the presidential level any more?'

Dave
jacob_101

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 12:17:00 PM »

According to the exit polls, 81% of Mississippians who are white voted for Bush.  It's interesting that the largest percentage of African Americans choose to live among the most conservative white people.  Racism must just be horrible down there.(sarcasm)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 12:23:34 PM »

The Democrats still control the state senate and legislature - so I think there must be quite a few 'Dixiecrats' among them

Dave
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 12:27:11 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2004, 12:30:48 PM by The Vorlon »

Louisiana has (Directly) also NEVER elected a GOP Senator since the civil war, although the last few races have been quite close.

(I "think" back when the State legislature appointed Senators 100+ years back the GOP had a Senator or two)

Louisiana is not quite the state with the highest black population, the honour goes to Georgia, but it is close.

jacob_101

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 12:28:32 PM »

Yes, that is true.  State/local politics is a different story.  The "Dixiecrats" are more conservative than a National Democrat.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 12:32:51 PM »

Racial voting in MS is by far the worst in the US... if it had the same voting patterns as even Alabama it would certainly have gone for Clinton in '96 and would be a "battleground state" this year.
jacob_101

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 12:33:31 PM »

Vorlon,

Those percentages are way different than the exit polls I have seen posted on CNN and MSNBC.  Do you havea link for that informationi?

Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 12:36:19 PM »

Thanks for the state-by-state breakdown Vorlon.

Dave
jacob_101

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 12:37:29 PM »

Racial voting in MS is by far the worst in the US... if it had the same voting patterns as even Alabama it would certainly have gone for Clinton in '96 and would be a "battleground state" this year.

You assume that they vote against each others race in Mississippi.  There is no proof of that.  The deep South of America is much more religious, and much more conservative than the rest of the country.  They are naturally aligned with Republican ideals.  That is the only reason most whites vote the way they do.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2004, 12:39:16 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2004, 12:46:50 PM by The Vorlon »

Vorlon,

Those percentages are way different than the exit polls I have seen posted on CNN and MSNBC.  Do you havea link for that informationi?

As you "may" recall, there were some "minor" problems with the exit polls in 2000.

Something about some inconsequential southern state that was razor close getting called for the wrong candidate before the polls even closed..? - It didn't get a lot of news coverage, but I recall something to that effect....

But seriously......The fact that they took VNS and burned it to the ground and threw it away should indicate their data may not have been totally accurate.

When ever the US Census is an option for getting political data, use the Census Smiley

Here is a link to the actual census data for voting by race and by state:

Voting by Race State By State - US Census Bureau

jacob_101

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2004, 12:46:41 PM »

Thanks Vorlon for reminding me of the FL brou haha of 2000, I nearly forgot!

Thanks for the link, much appreciated.

Jacob
Shira

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2004, 01:16:25 PM »

The deep South of America is much more religious, and much more conservative than the rest of the country.  

... and much less educated and much less informed and much ...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2004, 01:26:38 PM »

You assume that they vote against each others race in Mississippi.  There is no proof of that.

There's plenty of proof... check out some of FairData's maps.
It's not a "nice" fact, but it's true that race determines Presidential Voting patterns in Mississippi to a frightening extent.
Both sides should do something about it, neither side will... racial gerrymandering doesn't help matters.
jacob_101

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2004, 01:28:48 PM »

The deep South of America is much more religious, and much more conservative than the rest of the country.  

I'm not arguing who is more educated than whom.  I am simply explaining why the South votes for Republicans IMHO.

Now what you say about education might be true, but obviously if you educated in a liberal school system, by liberal professors teaching from a liberal book with a liberal point of view, you will likely vote that way.  I'll take the lesser education if that is the case.  

We are talking about a war over ideals and worldview, not how much education one has.  That is a low attack.  The same thing can be said about segments of the Democratic electorate as well.

Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2004, 01:34:22 PM »

According to the exit polls, 81% of Mississippians who are white voted for Bush.  It's interesting that the largest percentage of African Americans choose to live among the most conservative white people.  Racism must just be horrible down there.(sarcasm)

You know what was kind of interesting?  During the Cold War many people in the Soviet Union had no interest in defecting.  They had no desire in leaving their homes (the place where they were born and raised) DESPITE the harsh conditions to which they were subject.

Also, moving actually costs money and some poor folks simply cannot afford it.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2004, 01:35:19 PM »

shira!! i was just starting to like you.  

dont poke fun at my fellow southerners.
jacob_101

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2004, 01:35:32 PM »

You assume that they vote against each others race in Mississippi.  There is no proof of that.

It's not a "nice" fact, but it's true that race determines Presidential Voting patterns in Mississippi to a frightening extent.
Both sides should do something about it, neither side will... racial gerrymandering doesn't help matters.

By no means am I arguing that there is no racial divide when it comes to voting patterns.  There is a HUGE difference between blacks and whites.

I am arguing however, that it is not a result of RACISM.  Different views of what government should be responsible for, YES.  For the record I don't agree with Gerrymandering either.
jacob_101

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2004, 01:44:59 PM »

Vorlon,

If I assume the U.S. Census figures are correct, then here is the result in GA:

36% of voters were black, x.10=3.6% for BUSH
64% of voters were black, x.80=51% for BUSH

Total 55% for BUSH

If VNS is correct, then:

25% of voters were black, x.07=2% for BUSH
73% of voters were white, x.71=52% for BUSH
2% of voters were other, x.50=1% for BUSH

Total 55% for BUSH

How do you know the U.S. Census is correct on what percentage of each race voted in the election?  The VNS is at least direct polling results, however flawed they may be.  And there numbers seem more plausible in this case.
Shira

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2004, 01:47:18 PM »

Sorry, but these are the stats.
In VA, BTW, it is not as bad as in MS and AL.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2004, 01:47:50 PM »

By no means am I arguing that there is no racial divide when it comes to voting patterns.  There is a HUGE difference between blacks and whites.

I am arguing however, that it is not a result of RACISM.  Different views of what government should be responsible for, YES.  For the record I don't agree with Gerrymandering either.

Rural Whites and Blacks in the Deep South have very similer political (both groups tend to be socially conservative and economically leftist) and religious (both groups are heavily Evangelical) views.
Various unscrupulous bastards (both White and Black) stir up racial and sectional ("All Yankees/Republicans are Evil") tensions every damn election... it's not as bad at state/local level though.

It's true that the difference between suburban Whites (who dominate Southern Republican Parties) and rural Blacks *is* huge though.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2004, 01:50:56 PM »

i live in nc.  i was born and raised deep in the heart of appalachia virginia.  im a pretty backwards and stupid person, but dont let it ruin your opinion of other southerners Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2004, 02:36:18 PM »

Vorlon, I assume that the 0-numbers are supposed to be understood as below 0.5? Surely there must be some black voters even in Vermont, etc? Wink
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2004, 04:13:52 PM »

You are a snobbish elitist. The kind of person I hate with all my soul.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2004, 04:19:36 PM »

You are a snobbish elitist. The kind of person I hate with all my soul.

I wonder if she is taking into account only native Virginians, or Virginian's in general.  I've been here since High School, though I was raised in backwoods Washington State, Hawaii, and Guam.  Virginia was definitely a much more strict state education wise.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2004, 04:35:09 PM »

Vorlon,

If I assume the U.S. Census figures are correct, then here is the result in GA:

36% of voters were black, x.10=3.6% for BUSH
64% of voters were black, x.80=51% for BUSH

Total 55% for BUSH

If VNS is correct, then:

25% of voters were black, x.07=2% for BUSH
73% of voters were white, x.71=52% for BUSH
2% of voters were other, x.50=1% for BUSH

Total 55% for BUSH

How do you know the U.S. Census is correct on what percentage of each race voted in the election?  The VNS is at least direct polling results, however flawed they may be.  And there numbers seem more plausible in this case.

VNS only did polling at a limited number of places, the obviously could not be ay the literaly millions of places of voting, all at once.

They would have perhaps 20 "representative" presincts they would poll, as opposes to the census which collects information form literally 10s of thousands of households.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies