Indiana (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:49:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Indiana (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Indiana  (Read 12823 times)
Bismarck
Chancellor

« on: July 13, 2021, 12:39:40 PM »

A lot of people say that Indiana is conservative/Republican because of its rural-ness, but actually many states are more rural and less Republican than Indiana (including Midwestern states such as Minn., Iowa, and Wisc.)

Perhaps Indiana is Republican because it has relatively few ethnic whites, Hispanics, or Asians.

Actually there are a ton of Hispanics in Indianapolis and the city is becoming Little Mexico.  A street I frequented as a kid turned from vintage 50s style to the ugly and beaten down Hispanic shops like we have here in Arizona in the ghetto parts of town.  And I wouldnt assume Asians are very democratic, it depends on where they are at.  The vote swings either way with Asians.  You are right about ethnic whites, unless you count the Amish, who vote republican.
How Latino is Marion County now?

About 11%

White (Non Hispanic) 54%
Black 29 %
Hispanic 11%
Asian 4%
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 12:32:07 PM »

A lot of people say that Indiana is conservative/Republican because of its rural-ness, but actually many states are more rural and less Republican than Indiana (including Midwestern states such as Minn., Iowa, and Wisc.)

Perhaps Indiana is Republican because it has relatively few ethnic whites, Hispanics, or Asians.

Actually there are a ton of Hispanics in Indianapolis and the city is becoming Little Mexico.  A street I frequented as a kid turned from vintage 50s style to the ugly and beaten down Hispanic shops like we have here in Arizona in the ghetto parts of town.  And I wouldnt assume Asians are very democratic, it depends on where they are at.  The vote swings either way with Asians.  You are right about ethnic whites, unless you count the Amish, who vote republican.
How Latino is Marion County now?

About 11%

White (Non Hispanic) 54%
Black 29 %
Hispanic 11%
Asian 4%
I'm guessing that that's higher in select parts of the city.

Wayne Township ( just west of downtown to the Hendricks county line including speedway) is about 1/4 Hispanic but is still plurality white. The above poster seems to have driven along Washington street a few miles west of downtown where there is a concentration of Hispanic businesses. Evan that area is only plurality Hispanic. Indianapolis is still a pretty white city, with a large black minority and comparatively small Hispanic and Asian majorities. Pike township (northwest corner) is plurality black, but the western edge (eagle creek and traders point) is a mostly white extremely affluent area. Every other township is majority or plurality white.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies