Indiana
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:20:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Indiana
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Indiana  (Read 12689 times)
struct310
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2004, 10:15:27 PM »

A lot of people say that Indiana is conservative/Republican because of its rural-ness, but actually many states are more rural and less Republican than Indiana (including Midwestern states such as Minn., Iowa, and Wisc.)

Perhaps Indiana is Republican because it has relatively few ethnic whites, Hispanics, or Asians.

Actually there are a ton of Hispanics in Indianapolis and the city is becoming Little Mexico.  A street I frequented as a kid turned from vintage 50s style to the ugly and beaten down Hispanic shops like we have here in Arizona in the ghetto parts of town.  And I wouldnt assume Asians are very democratic, it depends on where they are at.  The vote swings either way with Asians.  You are right about ethnic whites, unless you count the Amish, who vote republican.
MN-Troy
Rookie

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2004, 11:57:55 PM »

Indiana = Illinois minus Chicago.

The reason Indiana is heavily Republican is due to the absense of urban areas.
Indianapolis and Gary are easily outvoted by the suburbs, small towns are rural areas.

The only reason Illinois is heavily Democratic is because of Chicago.

If the Chicago suburbs voted heavily Republican like their Indianapolis surbubs do, then the Chicago effect would be negated. Other than that, your analysis is spot on.
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2004, 12:02:51 AM »

I used to live in Indiana and one reason might be that the people like things simple in the state.

Yes, conservatives have simple minds.
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2004, 12:05:02 AM »

Make them.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2004, 12:31:21 AM »

Indiana voted for the Democratic candidate in the presidential elections of 1876, 1884 and 1892. Note that Indiana thus voted for the losing Samuel Tilden. It remained a swing state hovering about the national average for many decades and voted for Wilson in 1916.
Samuel Tilden didn't really "lose".
English

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2004, 04:11:03 AM »

A lot of people say that Indiana is conservative/Republican because of its rural-ness, but actually many states are more rural and less Republican than Indiana (including Midwestern states such as Minn., Iowa, and Wisc.)

Perhaps Indiana is Republican because it has relatively few ethnic whites, Hispanics, or Asians.

Minnesota has the twin cities and the Duluth/Northeast area, all of which are heavily Democratic. These can and do outvote the rural and suburban regions
Iowa has Des Moines and blue collar cities such as Davenport and Iowa City.
Wisconsin has the liberal bastion of Madison, plus Milwaukee.
Indiana basically just has a small, but very deprived city, Gary, and urban Indianapolis.
WI & MN are not quite as rural in that there is a large liberal urban element in both. IA is probably as rural as Indiana, however it has a smattering of industrial, blue collar towns, which Indiana doesn't have. Basically the Democratic elements in Indiana are massively outvoted. I'm sure if Indianapolis doubled in size the state would be safely Democrat.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2004, 08:56:49 AM »

The nicest (?) thing I can say about Bloomington is that my ex lives there.  hahaha . . . outside of that, the campus of Indiana University is quite beautiful.  With that being the issue, the town is relatively dead for 3 months of the year, along with the economy.  However, there is a modern business sector forming right on the interstate.  Last time I was there, I counted about 8 4+ story office buildings being built, as well as a decent commercial sector.  I will say in about 10 years, Bloomington will be a MAJOR business hub in the region.

Bloomington doesn't actually have an Interstate highway nearby, but your point is still taken. Smiley
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2004, 09:00:40 AM »

hahaha . . . well, it was a 6-laned road.  Thought it was an interstate (wasn't driving).  Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2004, 12:29:44 PM »

What makes Indiana unique (most of it's political regions are spill-overs from other states, the Indiana Coalfield is very like the Illinois Coalfield, the Ohio Valley spans several states and has similer politics all over, as does the Cornbelt) is the ultra-GOP suburbs of Indianapolis
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2004, 12:37:56 PM »

Both Indiana senators Lugar (R) and Bayh (D), despite a partisan divide, seem to be very popular incumbents, who command much bipartisan support.

Dave
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2004, 04:14:01 PM »

Indiana basically just has a small, but very deprived city, Gary, and urban Indianapolis.

Indiana city populations:

1 Indianapolis-781,870
2 Fort Wayne-205,727
3 Evansville-121,582
4 South Bend-107,789
5 Gary-102,746

However... (Indiana county populations):

1 Marion (Indianapolis) 860,454
2 Lake (Gary) 484,564
3  Allen  (Fort Wayne)  331,849
4 St. Joseph (South Bend)  265,559
5 Elkhart  (Elkhart)  182,791
7 Vanderburgh (Evansville) 171,922
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2004, 04:29:10 PM »

Indiana voted for the Democratic candidate in the presidential elections of 1876, 1884 and 1892. Note that Indiana thus voted for the losing Samuel Tilden. It remained a swing state hovering about the national average for many decades and voted for Wilson in 1916.
Samuel Tilden didn't really "lose".

Well...he lost in the sense that he did not become president. But, yes, he was out-cheated by the Republicans, if that's what you mean... Smiley
bejkuy

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2004, 05:34:33 PM »

I spent some time in Downtown Indianapolis 2 years ago while attending a conference.  I was amazed at the conservative feel of the downtown area (compared to any other big city downtown I have been to.)

I saw very little:

-anarchist type people
-evidence of a strong gay community.
-public indecency
-alternative lifestyle/weird hippy stuff.  You know the shops, street vendors, etc..

And a lot of:

-churches
-families
-clean streets.

As a lifelong west coaster (spent most of childhood in Portland and Eugene) it was stange for me to see a city this large with such a conservative feel.

No wonder the state is so conservative.

Also, in response to other posts, Muncie, Anderson, and Ft. Wayne are big-time blue-collar towns.  They each have huge GM factories.  But they are still Republican.

It's just a conservative state.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2004, 08:08:19 PM »

But it's a nice white-picket-fence-and-nicely-mowed-lawns conservative place, not a guns-and-low-laxes-let's-kill-the-poor place.

And the locals are all so friendly Smiley

*obsession is fun! Wink*
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2004, 08:40:35 PM »

When i was in Indianapolis i discovered that the state language is American!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats why i love the way when you say to Americans that your counry is Imperialistic they scream outrage.

Well, I wouldn't say that I speak "American", but a legit point could be made that American English might be distinct enough from British English to almost be considered a different language.  Dutch, German and Swiss are all very similar as are , but are differnt languages none the less.  Perhapes, given 20-50 years there will be enough differences for distict seperation.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2004, 06:12:58 AM »

Also, in response to other posts, Muncie, Anderson, and Ft. Wayne are big-time blue-collar towns.  They each have huge GM factories.  But they are still Republican.

Ft. Wayne is (for historical reasons mostly) Republican (though some blue collar/ethnic parts of the City lean Dem. The suburbs are ultra-Republican) and "Middletown" proper leans Dem (though the county it's in swings about a lot)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2004, 06:33:06 AM »

Ft. Wayne is (for historical reasons mostly) Republican (though some blue collar/ethnic parts of the City lean Dem. The suburbs are ultra-Republican) and "Middletown" proper leans Dem (though the county it's in swings about a lot)
Muncie's also got a pretty liberal uni, don't know how large it is. Once met a professor from there.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2004, 06:46:50 AM »

Muncie's also got a pretty liberal uni, don't know how large it is. Once met a professor from there.

Ball State Uni IIRC
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2004, 06:51:42 AM »

I forgot the name.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2021, 02:40:53 PM »

Indiana is very interesting, I have always wondered why it is so different than any state close to it, except Kentucky. Indiana probably has a higher population of rural voters and surburban voters than Ohio which could help the GOP there. There isnt a lot of urban area outside of Indianapolis.

It's mainly this. Ohio has Akron; Dayton; Youngstown; Cleveland; Colombus; Cincinatti, while Illinois has Chicago, which comprises 2/3 of the state. In contrast, Indianapolis proper is just 10% of the population, and so is northwest Indiana/Lake County (the part of Chicagoland spilling inton Indiana). The suburbs of Indianapolis are pretty conservative, and while (as of 2020) they are liberalizing somewhat, they are by no means strongholds. Indiana is mainly a rural/suburban state, and the Democratic areas (Indianapolis / Marion County; Northwest Indiana / Lake County) aren't that liberal, either. Indiana's 1st (home to Northwest Indiana) has trended more Republican in the age of Trump; it's now just D+1. And Indiana's 7th (Indianapolis) isn't a Democratic stronghold (or at least not as liberal as Chicago) either; it gave Andre Carson a 25-point victory in 2020, which is pretty good but not good enough given that the rest of Indiana is pretty Republican.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2021, 04:05:14 PM »

Actually there are a ton of Hispanics in Indianapolis and the city is becoming Little Mexico.  A street I frequented as a kid turned from vintage 50s style to the ugly and beaten down Hispanic shops like we have here in Arizona in the ghetto parts of town.  And I wouldnt assume Asians are very democratic, it depends on where they are at.  The vote swings either way with Asians.  You are right about ethnic whites, unless you count the Amish, who vote republican.
How Latino is Marion County now?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2021, 12:34:59 AM »

If we break Indiana into rough geo-political regions:

Gary-Hammond

A blue collar (more steel is made in Lake County than any other part of the U.S), heavily unionised area and by far the most Democratic part of Indiana

South Bend-Elkhart

The South Bend area is very "ethnic" (the largest Hungarian Community in the U.S is in the area) and fairly Blue Collar, while Elkhart is solidly Republican. Overall the region swings about *a lot*

Fort Wayne

With the exception of a few blue collar districts in Fort Wayne itself, Fort Wayne (along with it's suburbs) is a GOP stronghold (and has been since the Civil War)

The Corn Belt

Sterotypical Indiana: lots of farms and small towns, "rednecks", religious zealots... The Cornbelt covers most of the state and is the backbone of the Indiana GOP (and has been Republican since the Civil War).

Indianapolis and Suburbs

While Indianapolis itself leans Democrat, the wealthy suburbs of Indianapolis are the most Republican parts of the state with several counties voting for Bush with over 70% of the vote.

Muncie

The "Middletown" area is fairly centrist and tends to swing around a bit... (Clinton in '96, Bush in '00) it also has a quirky independent streak (Perot did well in the Muncie area in '92)

Indiana Coalfield

Basically an extension of the Southern Illinois Coalfield, the area includes Vermillion County (after Lake, the most reliably Democratic county in Indiana) and overall leans Democrat. The largest City (Terre Haute) is a traditional hotbed of Populism.

Ohio Valley

A traditional swing area, the Ohio Valley tends to be socially conservative and economically leftist and has a habit of producing large swings without little warning.
Democrats often do well in the (very) blue collar counties in the Southeast of the area.

Parts of this analysis are no longer true. Lake County is no longer the most Democratic area in Indiana; that status is now owned by Marion County. The Gary area has trended substantively to the right in recent years. Democrats have completely collapsed in the Coalfield and Ohio Valley, both of which are now Safe R, and the "Middletown" area is now Safe R as well. Indianapolis is now a Safe D city, and the suburbs of Indianapolis (Hamilton County) are no longer the most Republican region of the state; the Cornbelt holds that status. Hamilton County could even flip Democratic in the next decade if current trends continue.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2021, 12:02:17 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2021, 12:05:39 PM by King of Kensington »

How much of Indianapolis proper is basically suburban in form?  I know there was a city-county merger (in the 70s I think).
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2021, 12:39:40 PM »

Actually there are a ton of Hispanics in Indianapolis and the city is becoming Little Mexico.  A street I frequented as a kid turned from vintage 50s style to the ugly and beaten down Hispanic shops like we have here in Arizona in the ghetto parts of town.  And I wouldnt assume Asians are very democratic, it depends on where they are at.  The vote swings either way with Asians.  You are right about ethnic whites, unless you count the Amish, who vote republican.

About 11%

White (Non Hispanic) 54%
Black 29 %
Hispanic 11%
Asian 4%
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2021, 03:56:33 PM »

About 11%

White (Non Hispanic) 54%
Black 29 %
Hispanic 11%
Asian 4%
I'm guessing that that's higher in select parts of the city.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies