Marriage Equity Act (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:06:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Marriage Equity Act (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Marriage Equity Act  (Read 7199 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: September 11, 2004, 11:37:47 PM »

For my second piece of legislation, an idea whose time has come:

It shall be the stated policy of the Forum that no citizen shall be denied the ability to enter into the marriage contract or enjoy any of the benefits thereof on account of sex.

What exactly is this bill supposed to do?  While some radical social theorists recognize additional sexes that aren't deteremined solely on the basis of the hardware, US law )and hece Atlasia which uses US law except where we've directly chosen how to change it) recognizes only two sexes, male and female.  As far as I know both allowed to marry; in fact, in most places it takes one of each.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 03:41:49 AM »

For my second piece of legislation, an idea whose time has come:

It shall be the stated policy of the Forum that no citizen shall be denied the ability to enter into the marriage contract or enjoy any of the benefits thereof on account of sex.

What exactly is this bill supposed to do?  While some radical social theorists recognize additional sexes that aren't deteremined solely on the basis of the hardware, US law )and hece Atlasia which uses US law except where we've directly chosen how to change it) recognizes only two sexes, male and female.  As far as I know both allowed to marry; in fact, in most places it takes one of each.

As far as I can tell this is a bill to legalize same-sex marriage.

That may be the intent, but it certainly isn't the wording.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2004, 06:16:46 PM »
« Edited: September 18, 2004, 06:19:14 PM by AG Ernest »

As there has been a question raised as to the validity of the the amendment made by Senator Migrendel to this act, the Attorney General has decided to issue an advisory opinion.

Article I Section 5 Clause 1 of the Constitution clearly gives the Senate authority to determine its own rules of procedure.  It did so with the Senatorial Procedure Act.  Said Act provides no rule of procedure to be used with amendments to bills.  As such, the question of what procedure is to be used with amendments is a question for the presiding officer of the Senate to determine, subject to being overruled by the Senate.  Since the amendment is clearly a clarifying one, the main question that was left unresolved by the decision to quickly begin voting was whether said amendment sufficiently clarified it.  As one of those stuffy grammarians that Senator migrendel complained about, let me point out that as presently worded, the proposed Act would allow the regions to deny people the right to enter into a marriage contract with the opposite gender.  While it is extremely unlikely that any region would do so, it seems inconsistent that while protecting a new form of marriage, that the Senate would not also protect traditional marriage to the same degree.

In conclusion, let me state that I wish that the Senate would amend the Senatorial Procedure Act so as to clearly give the procedures to be used to amend a bill.

Attorney General Ernest
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies