Marriage Equity Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:06:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Marriage Equity Act
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Marriage Equity Act  (Read 7295 times)
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2004, 07:06:29 PM »

No thanks, I'll be voting to keep marriage exactly as it has been since it was started.
Incredibly false. Same-Sex marriages have been recognized in many cultures. Go go migrendel!

What cultures would those be?

Even Greece never institutionalized homosexual love.

I, for one, cannot think of one society that legitimized homosexual relationships as being equal to heterosexual relationships.  There is certainly no great civilization in history that ever viewed homosexuality as equal to heterosexuality.  Not the Greeks, not the Romans, not the Babylonians, the Egyptians, and certainly not the Muslims.

That's true, the Greek did not view homosexual relationships as equal.

They viewed them as superior.

No, they used man-boy relationships for educational purposes.

It was neither equal nor unequal to, but rather was seperate from, marriage.

Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2004, 07:50:45 AM »
« Edited: September 15, 2004, 07:51:10 AM by Bono »

For my second piece of legislation, an idea whose time has come:

It shall be the stated policy of the Forum that no citizen shall be denied the ability to enter into the marriage contract or enjoy any of the benefits thereof on account of sex.

No offense, Migrendel, but the redaction on this is terrible. You are not legalizing gay marriage, to that you would need to make a law to change the definition of marriage. THis is a law to garantuee the right of the people not to be discriminated by sex into entering an heterosexual marriage.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2004, 01:09:03 PM »

For my second piece of legislation, an idea whose time has come:

It shall be the stated policy of the Forum that no citizen shall be denied the ability to enter into the marriage contract or enjoy any of the benefits thereof on account of sex.

You are not legalizing gay marriage, to that you would need to make a law to change the definition of marriage. This is a law to garantuee the right of the people not to be discriminated by sex into entering an heterosexual marriage.

Yes, exactly.  This simply says that men and women are both free to enter a marriage.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2004, 02:50:23 PM »

Perhaps this would be better:

It shall be the stated policy of the forum that the definition of marriage shall not be construed to deny a person the right to enter into a marriage contract with a person of the same gender nor enjoy any of the benefits thereof.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2004, 09:01:32 AM »

Perhaps this would be better:

It shall be the stated policy of the forum that the definition of marriage shall not be construed to deny a person the right to enter into a marriage contract with a person of the same gender nor enjoy any of the benefits thereof.
So I presume you're withdrawing the old version and introducing this one in its stead?
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2004, 09:26:08 AM »

Yes. My old version would do exactly what I said it would if interpreted correctly. The alternate interpretations are utterly grammatical and narrow, and certainly not in keeping with the wording of the law. But I have decided to change the bill to make it wayward judge proof.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2004, 09:32:32 AM »

So do you want to start a new week of debate, or just go by the date you first proposed the bill?
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2004, 11:05:04 AM »

I'd be comfortable to have a vote based on the date I put the version out for review.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2004, 11:16:48 AM »

I'd be comfortable to have a vote based on the date I put the version out for review.

In that case, we'll commence voting on the Marriage Equity Act, which reads:

All in favor, vote aye.  All opposed--vote nay
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2004, 11:26:06 AM »

Nay.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2004, 11:36:28 AM »

Aye.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2004, 12:00:18 PM »

This was not the bill that was introduced for a vote in the senate.  And as the original bill has not ever been amended by a vote of the senate, the bill above has no business being voted on by the senate.

I ask senator Harry to immediately remove this bill from consideration until the senate sees fit to amend migrendel's original bill to more closely reflect this bill.  Of course, this bill could be introduced as a seperate bill from migrendel's original bill, but that would have to be in another thread.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2004, 12:09:04 PM »

This was not the bill that was introduced for a vote in the senate.  And as the original bill has not ever been amended by a vote of the senate, the bill above has no business being voted on by the senate.

I ask senator Harry to immediately remove this bill from consideration until the senate sees fit to amend migrendel's original bill to more closely reflect this bill.  Of course, this bill could be introduced as a seperate bill from migrendel's original bill, but that would have to be in another thread.

I followed a precedent we've set several times, that if the author of the bill wants to amend it himself, he is free to do so.  You've not spoken up to complain in the past.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2004, 06:16:46 PM »
« Edited: September 18, 2004, 06:19:14 PM by AG Ernest »

As there has been a question raised as to the validity of the the amendment made by Senator Migrendel to this act, the Attorney General has decided to issue an advisory opinion.

Article I Section 5 Clause 1 of the Constitution clearly gives the Senate authority to determine its own rules of procedure.  It did so with the Senatorial Procedure Act.  Said Act provides no rule of procedure to be used with amendments to bills.  As such, the question of what procedure is to be used with amendments is a question for the presiding officer of the Senate to determine, subject to being overruled by the Senate.  Since the amendment is clearly a clarifying one, the main question that was left unresolved by the decision to quickly begin voting was whether said amendment sufficiently clarified it.  As one of those stuffy grammarians that Senator migrendel complained about, let me point out that as presently worded, the proposed Act would allow the regions to deny people the right to enter into a marriage contract with the opposite gender.  While it is extremely unlikely that any region would do so, it seems inconsistent that while protecting a new form of marriage, that the Senate would not also protect traditional marriage to the same degree.

In conclusion, let me state that I wish that the Senate would amend the Senatorial Procedure Act so as to clearly give the procedures to be used to amend a bill.

Attorney General Ernest
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2004, 05:54:37 PM »

I vote nay.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2004, 07:42:35 PM »

Yea
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2004, 07:42:43 PM »

Aye.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2004, 10:03:06 PM »

Aye.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2004, 03:22:48 AM »

Aye
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2004, 06:05:45 AM »

5-2, in favor of Yea.

Senators Hughento, Nation, and King have yet to vote.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2004, 10:05:41 AM »

A STRONG nay on this bill.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2004, 08:22:14 PM »

Aye
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2004, 10:53:21 PM »

NAY x1000
Hermit
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2004, 11:53:24 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2004, 11:53:56 PM by Hermit »

6-4, Yeas favor! Hurrah!
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2004, 11:10:56 AM »

I may not see the point in this after we had the civil unions act......but I will still sign it.

John F. Kennedy
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies