McCain suspends campaign temporarily and asks for postponement of debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:24:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  McCain suspends campaign temporarily and asks for postponement of debate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Author Topic: McCain suspends campaign temporarily and asks for postponement of debate  (Read 15209 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: September 24, 2008, 04:55:48 PM »

As I said elsewhere, most Americans weren't even home from work during the time that they conducted this poll. It has to be one of the biggest jokes in terms of polling I've witnessed.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #151 on: September 24, 2008, 04:56:03 PM »

I will say something that I'm pretty sure all will take as rather non-partisan:

This whole election cycle (primary/general) has been altogether maybe the craziest election cycle I've ever seen.

Yep. But then you were not alive in 1968. Tongue

How true.  Smiley
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #152 on: September 24, 2008, 04:56:12 PM »

Further proof that John McCain is an erratic and crazy old man. What a joke.

Roll Eyes

This is far from erratic or crazy.

Put down the Kool-Aid Phil.

Look whose talking.

It's one thing to think this was a dumb move but it's not erratic. Don't be too pissed that Obama didn't propose it first.

There was zero indication from the campaign that he was going to do this. He was practicing for the debate as recently as yesterday. They've had events and ad buys planned for months. And now suddenly... OMG WE HAVE TO STOP EVERYTHING.

This is one of the silliest things I've ever heard.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #153 on: September 24, 2008, 04:56:48 PM »

http://drudgereport.com/flash3cbm.htm

EXCLUSIVE: LETTERMAN MOCKS MCCAIN CANCELLATION
Wed Sep 24 2008 17:41:58 ET

David Letterman tells audience that McCain called him today to tell him he had to rush back to DC to deal with the economy.

Then in the middle of the taping Dave got word that McCain was, in fact just down the street being interviewed by Katie Couric. Dave even cut over to the live video of the interview, and said, "Hey Senator, can I give you a ride home?"

Earlier in the show, Dave kept saying, "You don't suspend your campaign. This doesn't smell right. This isn't the way a tested hero behaves." And he joked: "I think someone's putting something in his metamucil."

"He can't run the campaign because the economy is cratering? Fine, put in your second string quarterback, Sarah Palin. Where is she?"

"What are you going to do if you're elected and things get tough? Suspend being president? We've got a guy like that now!"

Developing...
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #154 on: September 24, 2008, 04:57:26 PM »

The debate organizers and interlocutors  won't follow the agreed rules?  Hmmmm.

Frankly a debate where neither of the candidates know enough about this bailout on the economy would be kind of a waste of time. Their practiced talking points have to some extent been superseded by events.

In any event, doing anything that annoys Harry Reid is job one. Smiley
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #155 on: September 24, 2008, 04:58:13 PM »

The conductors of the debate would be insane to not talk about the economy. The subjects were decided long before this issue came up and can be easily shifted to do just that. We don't need a postponement of the debate at all. This is precisely the time for explaining one's ideas to the public, instead of hiding out in Washington and pretending to know what you're doing.

You're assuming that McCain is going to be hiding out in Washington pretending to know what he's doing.  Don't assume anything.  There are TV cameras in Washington.  Chuck Schumer manages to find them all the time.  And McCain knows exactly what he's doing here.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #156 on: September 24, 2008, 04:58:23 PM »

cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #157 on: September 24, 2008, 04:59:25 PM »

David Letterman tells audience that McCain called him today to tell him he had to rush back to DC to deal with the economy.

Then in the middle of the taping Dave got word that McCain was, in fact just down the street being interviewed by Katie Couric. Dave even cut over to the live video of the interview, and said, "Hey Senator, can I give you a ride home?"

Earlier in the show, Dave kept saying, "You don't suspend your campaign. This doesn't smell right. This isn't the way a tested hero behaves." And he joked: "I think someone's putting something in his metamucil."

"He can't run the campaign because the economy is cratering? Fine, put in your second string quarterback, Sarah Palin. Where is she?"

"What are you going to do if you're elected and things get tough? Suspend being president? We've got a guy like that now!"

Developing...

Letterman is a Democrat shill.  Always has been.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #158 on: September 24, 2008, 04:59:37 PM »

Roll Eyes

Look whose talking.

It's one thing to think this was a dumb move but it's not erratic. Don't be too pissed that Obama didn't propose it first.

There was zero indication from the campaign that he was going to do this. He was practicing for the debate as recently as yesterday. They've had events and ad buys planned for months. And now suddenly... OMG WE HAVE TO STOP EVERYTHING.

You mean things don't happen all of the sudden while you're President?

I'm sorry but should the McCain campaign give the Obama people advance notice everytime he does something? Is that what you guys need to prove that he's not "erratic?"

And what does having events and ad buys for months have to do with anything? This suddenly happened. We didn't know this would happen months ago, genius. We had to postpone our convention because of a hurricane. Or should we have known about that, too?  Roll Eyes
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #159 on: September 24, 2008, 05:02:39 PM »

The conductors of the debate would be insane to not talk about the economy. The subjects were decided long before this issue came up and can be easily shifted to do just that. We don't need a postponement of the debate at all. This is precisely the time for explaining one's ideas to the public, instead of hiding out in Washington and pretending to know what you're doing.

You're assuming that McCain is going to be hiding out in Washington pretending to know what he's doing.  Don't assume anything.  There are TV cameras in Washington.  Chuck Schumer manages to find them all the time.  And McCain knows exactly what he's doing here.

The idea that we need to suspend a debate is an absurd one. All this does is show anyone with half a brain that John McCain is childish, immature, and impulsive in his decision making. The McCain Camp spent several days trying to figure out how to respond to this.

First the fundamentals are strong, then everything's gone to sh*t and we need to drop everything we're doing.
First he's mister de-regulator, then magically when things go awry he's "we need to regulate and fire the bad apples" guy.
Then, an article pops up saying we need to deregulate healthcare just like we did with banking.

McCain had no option left to him (because flipflopping and lying was getting old) but to go nuclear and  make a classic McCain move, that is to say, a dramatic and impulsive decision that does nothing to solve our problems but gets everyone riled up for a short time. See: Sarah Palin
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #160 on: September 24, 2008, 05:06:18 PM »

Roll Eyes

Look whose talking.

You mean things don't happen all of the sudden while you're President?

I'm sorry but should the McCain campaign give the Obama people advance notice everytime he does something? Is that what you guys need to prove that he's not "erratic?"

And what does having events and ad buys for months have to do with anything? This suddenly happened. We didn't know this would happen months ago, genius. We had to postpone our convention because of a hurricane. Or should we have known about that, too?  Roll Eyes

The Senate doesn't need John McCain around to help them pass this. Most of his colleagues don't even like him. He isn't responding to a crisis, he's pulling off a sloppy political stunt. This is him making a political decision to help himself.

I appreciate a President who responds to situations as necessary. This isn't even close to necessary. This is a bizarre and random decision that makes me question whether he has any concept of planning or vision.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #161 on: September 24, 2008, 05:11:35 PM »

The Senate doesn't need John McCain around to help them pass this. Most of his colleagues don't even like him.

LOL

I'm sorry...did you want me to take this as a serious argument? You've got a few loose up there, buddy!

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ok but that doesn't make it erratic. Again, don't be pissy because your guy didn't have the political upper hand here. We already know Barack is acting that way himself. "I called him first!"

How is this a "political stunt" and also "bizzare" and "random?" Political stunts like this aren't bizzare. Someone here is extremely bitter...
daboese
Germany

« Reply #162 on: September 24, 2008, 05:12:36 PM »

There is an interview with a Sen. Schumer on CNN that McCain is just pulling off a political stunt, in order to take advantage of the situation, by unilaterally doing some things without even talking to Obama about it.
I completely agree. If he wants to get something done, you don't go out to say: "I suspend a campaign" publically, but you talk to the other presidential nominee first and try to get to an agreement before that.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #163 on: September 24, 2008, 05:13:57 PM »

What exactly could either Obama or McCain really do? Neither are on the relevant committees or attended the hearings or involved in the details. Apparently negotiations are ongoing and both sides are comprimisnig and headed for a deal. Either of the Presidential candidates jumping in would only slow this thing down...the one thing that everyone says should not happen.

I guess they could help whip for both parties to ensure the final vote appears truly bi-partisan like the post 9/11 votes. But with a good amount of Americans confused by this thing, the best thing for the country would actually be to help the President sell this deal to the nation...something they could do together.

The debate on Friday is a great opportunity to help do that. They should change the debate to be about domestic issues and dedicate the opening part to a joint statement in support of the deal that is taking shape.

That would truly put 'Country First' and help support 'change' and all that
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #164 on: September 24, 2008, 05:14:13 PM »

This topic remained impressively civil until about page ten.  Can we please not take it downhill?  Please please please?  It takes two to tango Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #165 on: September 24, 2008, 05:15:12 PM »

There is an interview with a Sen. Schumer on CNN that McCain is just pulling off a political stunt, in order to take advantage of the situation, by unilaterally doing some things without even talking to Obama about it.
I completely agree. If he wants to get something done, you don't go out to say: "I suspend a campaign" publically, but you talk to the other presidential nominee first and try to get to an agreement before that.

McCain needs Obama's permission prior to making decisions about conducting his campaign?  That's interesting.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #166 on: September 24, 2008, 05:17:03 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2008, 05:21:28 PM by angus »

nor has either of them been acting like US Senators.  why start voting and attending hearings now?

Not sure whether it'll make McCain look like a pussy, or a panderer, a senile old goat, or a noble, mangnanimous individual.  I'm torn between pussy and panderer, but I didn't like him to begin with.  We'll just have to wait to see how it plays in peoria.  Or in TV land.  Maybe it'll just make the old man look like he can't think about economics and foreign policy at the same time.  Make him look senile and such.

Oh, well, at least all of the posters bitching about it being on a Friday should be relieved.
daboese
Germany

« Reply #167 on: September 24, 2008, 05:18:11 PM »

McCain needs Obama's permission prior to making decisions about conducting his campaign?  That's interesting.
Exactly. It is campaigning. That is the problem.
It is not a "we go together and solve the problem".
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #168 on: September 24, 2008, 05:18:17 PM »

LOL

I'm sorry...did you want me to take this as a serious argument? You've got a few loose up there, buddy!

Are you being serious? Look at the quotes from even his Republican colleagues bucko... he's an angry man who doesn't play well with others. I know you don't like to hear that about your Messiah...

Ok but that doesn't make it erratic. Again, don't be pissy because your guy didn't have the political upper hand here. We already know Barack is acting that way himself. "I called him first!"

Sure it does. He has a clear campaign plan and strategy and then all of a sudden he says "Uh, nope! I'm going to go off an try to do this. Hope it works!"

And Obama didn't actually call McCain and propose it. The claim that he did was proven wrong several hours ago. And thank God he didn't, this is a terrible idea.

How is this a "political stunt" and also "bizzare" and "random?" Political stunts like this aren't bizzare. Someone here is extremely bitter...

What? A political stunt isn't by definition bizarre or random, many of them are very well planned out. This, on the other hand, came out of nowhere.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #169 on: September 24, 2008, 05:19:15 PM »

Developing...

The Obama campaign would flip if McCain takes Letterman up at his offer - and sends Sarah Palin to the debate.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #170 on: September 24, 2008, 05:19:45 PM »

Just more proof how ridiculous this election has gotten.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #171 on: September 24, 2008, 05:20:39 PM »

This topic remained impressively civil until about page ten.  Can we please not take it downhill?  Please please please?  It takes two to tango, jerkfaces

God McCain is SOO stupid, he doesn't even understand the economy and he thinks the fundamentals of our economy are strong!!!
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #172 on: September 24, 2008, 05:21:15 PM »

Chuck Schumer knows a thing or two about pulling off political stunts.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #173 on: September 24, 2008, 05:23:20 PM »

This topic remained impressively civil until about page ten.  Can we please not take it downhill?  Please please please?  It takes two to tango Smiley

No.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #174 on: September 24, 2008, 05:24:36 PM »

Are you being serious? Look at the quotes from even his Republican colleagues bucko... he's an angry man who doesn't play well with others. I know you don't like to hear that about your Messiah...

I'm asking if you're serious because that's not even relevant. I guess he shouldn't do his job because some colleagues don't like him?

Again, a few screws loose up there, pal...

Did the campaign plan take into account a market crash?

I'm supposed to believe you're involved in politics and yet you act surprised when strategy changes. Wow.

He's claiming that he called McCain "first." It's on the news. Check that out sometime.

Again, because you (the opposition) weren't made aware, that's supposed to be a bad thing?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies