MI: WXYZ/Detroit News: Obama leads McCain by 1%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:53:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  MI: WXYZ/Detroit News: Obama leads McCain by 1%
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MI: WXYZ/Detroit News: Obama leads McCain by 1%  (Read 1203 times)
mypalfish
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 19, 2008, 08:11:20 PM »

(WXYZ) - Michigan voters are weighing in on the race for the White House. The latest results are in from an exclusive WXYZ-TV/Detroit News poll which shows that the presidential race is extremely tight. Experts say it could all come down to Michigan in this historic election.

The exclusive poll shows the race getting even closer, with Barack Obama leading John McCain 43% to 42% with a 4 point margin of error. When Michigan voters were asked to consider both tickets, now that both running mates have been chosen, Obama’s lead jumps slightly to 45% compared to McCain’s 42%.

For the first time, our exclusive poll is showing how Michigan voters feel about McCain’s Vice Presidential Pick, Sarah Palin. When asked if Sarah Palin should John McCain not be able to serve out his term, 43% of Michigan voters polled said yes compared to 47% who said no.

According to the poll, an overwhelming 73% of voters are convinced that the U.S. is headed in the wrong direction, while 80% believe Michigan is on the wrong track.
Three issues concern Michigan voters the most, according to latest poll results. The economy is at the top of the list, followed by protecting America from terrorism and health care.

http://www.wxyz.com/content/news/2008vote/story.aspx?content_id=b303a3ea-29d8-4e31-87b3-4f20046f9aa9
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 08:16:33 PM »

This is the EPIC-MRA poll.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 08:22:24 PM »

So he actually leads by 3%...
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 09:52:47 PM »

So much for Palin being a big boost to the ticket.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 09:57:16 PM »

When was this poll taken?  If it was taken recently, it's saying that Michigan is right at the national average (which is obviously great news for McCain).
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 10:12:12 PM »

When was this poll taken?  If it was taken recently, it's saying that Michigan is right at the national average (which is obviously great news for McCain).

Well you would also have to assume the poll is accurate.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 10:13:09 PM »

Well you would also have to assume the poll is accurate.

EPIC-MRA has a pretty good track record from what I've heard.  Obviously, I can't be optimistic.
mypalfish
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 10:16:23 PM »

some states, yes....some states, no.

IMO, McCain isn't anywhere close to Obama if he hadn't picked Palin.  He's still going to lose, but at least he made it competitive for a while.  And getting the base more enthused might keep the losses down in the House.

The only odd thing is that in SE Wisconsin, in some of the working class Milwaukee areas where you saw house after house after house with Gore/Lieberman and Kerry/Edwards signs, there are hardly any Obama signs.  I know it probably doesn't mean anything, but maybe Obama really will struggle with those white working class voters and it will keep the margin down.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 10:49:55 PM »

IMO, McCain isn't anywhere close to Obama if he hadn't picked Palin.  He's still going to lose, but at least he made it competitive for a while.  And getting the base more enthused might keep the losses down in the House.

I haven't agreed with someone more in my life.  Thank you for that analysis that I have been struggling to put into words.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 11:04:26 PM »

The only odd thing is that in SE Wisconsin, in some of the working class Milwaukee areas where you saw house after house after house with Gore/Lieberman and Kerry/Edwards signs, there are hardly any Obama signs.  I know it probably doesn't mean anything, but maybe Obama really will struggle with those white working class voters and it will keep the margin down.

True. Hard to say what the lack of signs means, though. Could actually be a "reverse Bradley effect" in highly racially polarized neighborhoods, where people are afraid to admit they are supporting the black guy. We'll see.

The fact that Obama does better when the running mates are mentioned in this poll is definitely evidence that the assertion advanced by some that Palin was a brilliant pick while Biden was a horrible one might not be so accurate, though.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 12:14:22 AM »

True. Hard to say what the lack of signs means, though. Could actually be a "reverse Bradley effect" in highly racially polarized neighborhoods, where people are afraid to admit they are supporting the black guy. We'll see.

Signs and crowd size will go into J. J. 3rd Rule, Smiley but I have a question.  If the Democratic neighborhood is that polarized, why would it be that good for Obama?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 09:13:19 PM »

Signs really don't mean anything. The Obama campaign volunteers and staffers have better things to do than hand out signs.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 09:21:52 PM »

Signs really don't mean anything. The Obama campaign volunteers and staffers have better things to do than hand out signs.

J. J.'s Third Rule of Elections:  Supposed indicators, crowd size, signs and bumper stickers, letters to the editor, are meaningless in terms of actual voter support, though might be an indicator of campaign organization.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 09:35:57 PM »

I keep saying this, but I will say it again.  The Detroit News is a right wing rag.  They take polls on a couple of weekday nights when Democrats are at work in the shops and republican auto executives and farmers are home resting and answering the phone.  I don't know about this poll of theirs, but they usually have a republican sample that is a larger % than the number of republicans likely to vote.  In 2004 they had Bush up a couple.  Nuff said.

Actually... as a point of fact the last EPIC/MRI poll in 2004 had Kerry up by 6% - The actual result was Kerry + 3.5%

I believe you may have your newspapers mixed up.

The Detroit Free Press had a poll in the later stages of 2004 showing Mr. Bush up by 2% - Other than a few polls many many months before the actual 2004 vote, I believe this was the only poll in 2004 to ever show Bush with a lead in Michigan.

Rasmussen may have had the race tied at one point, although his final poll had Kerry up by 4% which turned out to be pretty much dead on.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 06:27:56 AM »

The fact that Obama does better when the running mates are mentioned in this poll is definitely evidence that the assertion advanced by some that Palin was a brilliant pick while Biden was a horrible one might not be so accurate, though.

Only one poll though. The general trend still seems to be in McCain's favour.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies