Family Planning Amendments Act of 2004
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:49:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Family Planning Amendments Act of 2004
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Family Planning Amendments Act of 2004  (Read 7845 times)
migrendel
Italy

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 10, 2004, 04:33:14 PM »

I have decided to make a topic of profound concern to me my maiden piece of legislation. I have decided to introduce a bill to stem the recent tide of assault on reproductive rights from the administration:

It shall be the stated policy of the Forum that:
a) funds for the United Nations Fund for Population Activities (UNFPA) shall be restored to their FY 2001 level.
b) no organization receiving federal funding for family planning services domestically or abroad shall be prohibited from mentioning the full range of reproductive options, including abortion, to their clientele on pain of federal support.
c) no funds shall be made available through the CHIP program for the care of zygotes, blastocysts, embryos, or fetuses as described by regulation as an "unborn child".
d) no law shall be construed to punish someone for an attack on a pregnant woman in such a way as to treat the act against the zygote, blastocyst, embryo, or fetus as a separate offense.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 07:01:52 PM »

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 02:18:15 AM »

Yea
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 07:31:24 AM »

Hmmm, the bill isn't as bad as I expected.  I might vote for it, but migrendel, could you elaborate on article a?

and also, migrendel, you need to vote in the PPT election
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2004, 09:18:33 AM »

Several years ago, the Bush administration withdrew $34 million in funding for contraceptive services abroad. Section A would reverse that decision and restore the funding.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2004, 09:00:08 PM »

Since the debate has begun to lag, I put forward a motion to bring this bill to a vote.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2004, 11:12:40 PM »

Nay
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2004, 01:59:48 AM »

Several years ago, the Bush administration withdrew $34 million in funding for contraceptive services abroad. Section A would reverse that decision and restore the funding.

Actually, that was his first official act in office.  I was down in DC that day for the Nation Life March.  That announcement made me very happy.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2004, 03:26:43 AM »

I will need some further time to consider this. It is important that we stop AIDS in the third world, and the best way besides abstinence in contraception.

I believe that if we continued to fund programmes teaching abstinene before contraception, but still funded contraceptives, then I would certainly vote for it.

Maybe we can use some of the surplus monmey from the education reform bill to fund the education in the third world? Wink
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2004, 09:00:20 AM »

This bill is not nearly as liberal is some of you may make it out to be.  I may vote for it.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2004, 09:10:58 AM »

There are quite a few other acts of the administration in this area I find to be disturbing. I focused on the most problematic, particularly the first two.

You have to wonder about George. The first thing he does is take away money for contraception abroad. It seems his top priority is depriving the poor of family planning services.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2004, 12:48:45 PM »

You have to wonder about George. The first thing he does is take away money for contraception abroad. It seems his top priority is depriving the poor of family planning services.

[sarcasm]Really!!!!!  How dare he!?!?[/sarcasm]
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2004, 01:29:46 PM »

I believe that if we continued to fund programmes teaching abstinene before contraception, but still funded contraceptives, then I would certainly vote for it.

Stop psychically stealing my ideas Cheesy

Here in MN we teach abstinance as the only 100% effective contraceptive, and it seems to work OK.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2004, 02:52:06 PM »

I see no reason why we need to provide support for abstinence programs when we can spend the money more wisely on providing family planning services. You're not helping your case, supersoulty. If Bush actually does believe this, he can be educated, but if he's doing this to appease his base, then he doesn't deserve to be president. Anyone who plays upon the ignorance of those so burdened by the dogma of faith is just not anyone I could ever respect.
Hermit
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2004, 05:55:04 PM »

Interesting article on abstinence teaching vs. safe sex teaching:

http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2004/05/11/waging-war-with-the-virgin-soldiers/
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2004, 06:41:46 PM »

They say abstinence like it's a dirty word.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2004, 07:41:53 AM »

Ok, that is one of the most hate-filled articles I've ever read, and you call it intereting...
Hermit
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2004, 08:32:34 PM »
« Edited: September 15, 2004, 08:34:13 PM by Hermit »

Ok, that is one of the most hate-filled articles I've ever read, and you call it intereting...
It's also full of quantitative facts on safe-sex teaching vs. abstinence teaching. But oh no, he is angry so it doesn't count.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2004, 08:44:31 PM »

Fact is the only 100% birth control is abstinence. If you can't keep your legs closed and you aren't responsible enough to purchase your own birth control, it's YOUR fault and you should be responsible for YOUR actions. Not the child you create.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2004, 09:38:07 PM »

It's also full of quantitative facts on safe-sex teaching vs. abstinence teaching. But oh no, he is angry so it doesn't count.

Well, seeing that he seems to think that abstinance is an evil, immoral, horrid thing, it's rather stupid.

And it insults me >P
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2004, 01:26:18 AM »

Fact is the only 100% birth control is abstinence. If you can't keep your legs closed and you aren't responsible enough to purchase your own birth control, it's YOUR fault and you should be responsible for YOUR actions. Not the child you create.

Wait until you get older kid!
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2004, 12:00:16 PM »

Oh, my God. The argument of the trully desperate.
"Oh, I have no arguemtsn, but I can't admit I'm wrong, I must be right because I'm older!"
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2004, 02:15:04 PM »

Oh, my God. The argument of the trully desperate.
"Oh, I have no arguemtsn, but I can't admit I'm wrong, I must be right because I'm older!"

I'll elabortate on that one.  Yes, I see the need for abortions in some cases.  Again it's on a case by case basis and I do not feel government should decide.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2004, 02:57:49 PM »

As fascinated as I am by ILV's declaration of offense and dubya2004's illicit sexual description, I would really like to hear the opinions of my fellow and sister senators. After all, those are the opinions that will matter when this comes up for a vote. By the way, when will we vote on it?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2004, 03:16:32 PM »

As fascinated as I am by ILV's declaration of offense and dubya2004's illicit sexual description, I would really like to hear the opinions of my fellow and sister senators. After all, those are the opinions that will matter when this comes up for a vote. By the way, when will we vote on it?

When Harry (PPT) announces it - it should be one week after first being proposed.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies