Mideast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:32:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 ... 137
Author Topic: Mideast Assembly Thread  (Read 251826 times)
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1975 on: May 05, 2010, 10:43:57 PM »

I can take out most of the tax credits. But if we want economic growth we need a strong business environment which means corporate and capital gains tax cuts, once this happens and business comes to the Mideast, unemployment and welfare costs go down, more people have jobs and more revenue is created we can move to lowering taxes on those who cannot afford them to help their lives as government should, not provide for them.

I also think cutting back on useless things like expensive items when we don't need them, land we don't need and using the cheapiest, most effective business to do our government projects like infrastructure, we can save.

If I took out tax decrease for income tax would you all be more receptive to this? Hurting business is not going to be the answer to a better Mideast. With tax increases on property, sales and income taxes to pay for infrastructure that will hurt the consumer, even though I believe infrastructure is very important to fund. We just cannot have the worst business environment in Atlasia and expect unemployment to decrease with more spending, more taxes and less business
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1976 on: May 05, 2010, 10:57:01 PM »

Economic growth does not mean we have to give corporate and capital gains tax cuts, we simply don't need to increase them either.  Maybe lowering spending would be acceptable but with the current deficit all lowering taxes will do is put us further in debt.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1977 on: May 06, 2010, 02:28:44 AM »
« Edited: May 06, 2010, 01:14:25 PM by GM Purple State »

I've been quite busy with finals and end of the year stuff, but let me look over everything and I'll see what I can do. Until then, try to gauge things based on the most recent budget update for the region (here).
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1978 on: May 06, 2010, 09:02:28 AM »

Economic growth does not mean we have to give corporate and capital gains tax cuts, we simply don't need to increase them either.  Maybe lowering spending would be acceptable but with the current deficit all lowering taxes will do is put us further in debt.

would you all be much more open to the bill if it had no tax cuts and just the cuts in funding/reform spending?

then from there we can go on to cut taxes (even a small amount) on business and capital gains
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1979 on: May 06, 2010, 09:08:55 AM »

To my knowledge numbers 7 and 9 are already done.  The only ones that I would be open to possibly looking into are numbers 12 and 13.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1980 on: May 06, 2010, 12:35:05 PM »

It's not up for debate, fyi.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1981 on: May 06, 2010, 01:14:51 PM »

Touche. Edited above for accuracy.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1982 on: May 06, 2010, 04:12:42 PM »

GI JANE AMENDMENT
GI JANE will be replaced with the following
Growth. In. Jobs. And. New. Economy.
WHEREAS: Unemployment is at 12.1% in the Mideast with over 7 million citizen unemployed and
WHEREAS: Most citizens are employed in small businesses and consumer confidence is down
BE IT RESOLVED:
SECTION 1:
1.   Any business that creates 1 new job and currently has under 15 employees in the current fiscal year will be given a $2,000 corporate tax credit.
2.   There shall be no waiting period for a business or company to start after government forms are approved.
3.   Drop the corporate tax rate to 22%.
4.   Cut capital gains tax by 4% for incomes over $500,000 and 7% for incomes under $500,000.
5.   Welfare program requires 40 hours a week of, or a combination of, education (to receive a GED), job training, work, or community service, for those that are deemed “fit to work” by the Mideast Government. Every welfare recipient deemed “able to work” must find work within two years of being enrolled in a Mideast welfare program or four years if the recipient is attending education at any level.
SECTION 2:
6.   Departments and committees of government in the Mideast will eliminate overlapping responsibilities, tasks and programs to save tax-payer funding and to guarantee no business has to file or complete the same form or paperwork more than once. Each department and committee will send one representative to a weekly meeting in which they will decide who will have what specific responsibility that they alone will posses. The “Government Employment Committee” headed by an appointee by the Governor, confirmed by the Assembly will lead these meetings.
7.   Eliminate all subsides to farms that are deemed inactive and are paid to not produce or grow crops, livestock, etc.
8.   The Mideast government must buy products and materials to complete projects that are the cheapest on the market when the material is non-essential to safety and not needed for efficiency (examples: toilet, paper clips, hammers)
9.   Projects of the Mideast government carried out by private companies must be chosen based on the cheapest, most efficient budget requested.
10.   Halt Mideast government purchase of land for one year unless in case of emergency related to public health and safety.
11.   Eliminate corporate subsidies for corporations that cannot provide a business plan or execute a plan that will bring in a profit within 3 years or a profit enough to pay off the subsidies in 9 years giving the corporation the option time for research, development, innovation and improvement or let a different, profitable, efficient company replace the failing corporation.
12.   The Mideast “Government Employment Committee” will recommend and advise to cut jobs they deem “unneeded” or not beneficial to the Assembly, Governor or any Department or Committee to eliminate.

There's the updated version (After doing whatever rules we must follow). We'll haveto wait for the GM report to know specific money numbers
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1983 on: May 07, 2010, 03:44:47 AM »

I agree except on numbers 3 & 4, but may be convinced when we've got some numbers from our GM.

Dear Speaker, do you think you can open another debate while we're waiting for some numbers ? Just a question.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1984 on: May 07, 2010, 09:31:16 AM »

I agree except on numbers 3 & 4, but may be convinced when we've got some numbers from our GM.

Dear Speaker, do you think you can open another debate while we're waiting for some numbers ? Just a question.

The payoff is controlling unemployment and being able to stop writing off welfare checks and unemployment benefits to over a tenth of our region. We can cut significant funds there when business moves to the region.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1985 on: May 08, 2010, 01:32:46 AM »

Sorry guys - I meant it was up for debate.  Nothing dealing with GI JANE has been voted on yet.  I'm not sure why I typed that (because I knew what I meant to say - I just now realized I said the wrong thing).

I'll look at the bill tomorrow and give my take on it - I gotta get to bed now - work in the morning.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1986 on: May 08, 2010, 10:45:37 PM »

Looks good to me.  While we're waiting on the GM numbers, I'm going to bypass this for a bit and start debating the next bill, because I now that we have a few bills people want to get through.

Debate is now open on this.  Folks, this is a good bill - this is nasty stuff, and it'd be best to try to get it somewhat under control now, rather than later.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1987 on: May 08, 2010, 10:52:28 PM »

I agree with Inks. Let's get this bill passed fast
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1988 on: May 08, 2010, 11:01:53 PM »

Kudzu is a terrible plant and as I mentioned in this bill over 500 million dollars in crops and maintenance costs are lost yearly thanks to it in the Southeast United States.

Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1989 on: May 09, 2010, 02:11:15 AM »

At long last: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=101096.msg2482734#msg2482734

A couple of clarifications could affect the numbers I have there.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1990 on: May 09, 2010, 02:39:57 AM »

I don't expect much debate on the Kudzu bill, so here's the plan:

Assuming no debate on the Kudzu bill, we'll have a vote on that tonight.  Debate will continue on GI JANE.  Then we'll either vote on GI JANE, or if that debate goes on for a while, we'll vote on the abortion bill while still working out the details of GI JANE.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1991 on: May 09, 2010, 10:11:11 AM »

Assuming no debate on the Kudzu bill, we'll have a vote on that tonight.  Debate will continue on GI JANE.  Then we'll either vote on GI JANE, or if that debate goes on for a while, we'll vote on the abortion bill while still working out the details of GI JANE.

with the suggestions of the GM, would I be able to give it a final update?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1992 on: May 09, 2010, 02:00:12 PM »

with the suggestions of the GM, would I be able to give it a final update?
Absolutely - take as long as you need (at least up until May 25th - then it needs to head to a vote).
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1993 on: May 09, 2010, 04:17:42 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2010, 07:23:09 PM by A-bob »

GI JANE
Growth. In. Jobs. And. New. Economy.
WHEREAS: Unemployment is at 12.1% in the Mideast with over 7 million citizen unemployed and
WHEREAS: Most citizens are employed in small businesses and consumer confidence is down
BE IT RESOLVED:
SECTION 1:
1.   Any business that creates 1 new job and currently has under 15 employees will be given a $2,000 corporate tax credit effective immediately after the passage of the bill into law for one year after. A $500 corporate tax credit will be given to each corporation that creates a 2nd job. A corporation may only receive $2,000 tax credit for creating one job, or a combined $2,500 for creating two jobs.
2.   There shall be no waiting period for a business or company to start after government forms are approved.
3.   Drop the corporate tax rate to 22%.
4.   Cut capital gains tax by 4% for incomes over $500,000 and 7% for incomes under $500,000.
5.   Welfare program requires 40 hours a week of, or a combination of, education (to receive a GED), job training, work, or community service, for those that are deemed “fit to work” by the Mideast Government. Every welfare recipient deemed “able to work” must find work within two years of being enrolled in a Mideast welfare program or four years if the recipient is attending education at any level. Clause 5 will be headed by a task force appointed by the Governor, approved by the assembly which will be part of the Mideast Welfare Program.
SECTION 2:
6.   Departments and committees of government in the Mideast will eliminate overlapping responsibilities, tasks and programs to save tax-payer funding and to guarantee no business has to file or complete the same form or paperwork more than once. Each department and committee will send one representative to a weekly meeting in which they will decide who will have what specific responsibility that they alone will posses. The “Government Employment Committee” headed by an appointee by the Governor, confirmed by the Assembly will lead these meetings. These positions will be non-playable.
7.   Eliminate all subsides to farms that are deemed inactive and are paid to not produce or grow crops, livestock, etc.
8.   The Mideast government must buy products and materials to complete projects that are the cheapest on the market when the material is non-essential to safety and not needed for efficiency (examples: toilet, paper clips, hammers)
9.   Projects of the Mideast government carried out by private companies must be chosen based on the cheapest, most efficient budget requested.
10.   Halt Mideast government purchase of land for one year unless in case of emergency related to public health and safety.
11.   Eliminate corporate subsidies for corporations that cannot provide a business plan or execute a plan that will bring in a profit within 3 years or a profit enough to pay off the subsidies in 9 years giving the corporation the option time for research, development, innovation and improvement or let a different, profitable, efficient company replace the failing corporation. A corporation may be exempt from clause 11 if the corporation is deemed a necessity to the Mideast’s public safety or otherwise noted and regulated by the Mideast Assembly and Governor.
12.   The Mideast “Government Employment Committee” will recommend and advise to cut jobs they deem “unneeded” or not beneficial to the Assembly, Governor or any Department or Committee to eliminate.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1994 on: May 09, 2010, 06:56:10 PM »

I'll look at the whole thing later tonight, but the "GI JANE will be replaced with the following" clause needs to be taken out, since GI JANE was never passed.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1995 on: May 10, 2010, 08:36:52 AM »

I notice, Mr. GM, your analysis left out any effect (i.e. deficits) from these tax cuts and credits. While I understand that properly applied tax cuts can sometime create more revenue in the long run through increased economic production than lost through reduced taxes collected, but frequently there's still an overall revenue loss as the laws of diminishing returns kick in.

Like Happy Warrior, I'm sceptical these tax breaks won't result in an overall loss of revenue--possibly drastically. That isn't to say this plan is necessarily unwarranted even if it increases the deficit, as temporarily running a deficit may be warranted in an effort to "prim the pump" for the region's lagging economy.

The economic effects of Clauses 7, 10, & 11 aren't measured either. This is important as, even IF such measures are necessary in the long term, they would undoubtedly negatively effect hob growth.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1996 on: May 10, 2010, 08:39:18 AM »

I notice, Mr. GM, your analysis left out any effect (i.e. deficits) from these tax cuts and credits. While I understand that properly applied tax cuts can sometime create more revenue in the long run through increased economic production than lost through reduced taxes collected, but frequently there's still an overall revenue loss as the laws of diminishing returns kick in.

Like Happy Warrior, I'm sceptical these tax breaks won't result in an overall loss of revenue--possibly drastically. That isn't to say this plan is necessarily unwarranted even if it increases the deficit, as temporarily running a deficit may be warranted in an effort to "prim the pump" for the region's lagging economy.

The economic effects of Clauses 7, 10, & 11 aren't measured either. This is important as, even IF such measures are necessary in the long term, they would undoubtedly negatively effect hob growth.
All budget cuts were not measured though, so keep that in mind that we only got the revenue lost, not saved
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1997 on: May 10, 2010, 02:13:41 PM »

My projections take all of that into account. The "cost" accounts for reduced expenditures (e.g. cutting farm subsidies) and lost revenue (e.g. tax credits). Those projections have the stated impact on the deficit, thus it will increase the deficit by $3 billion for each of the next two years and $10 billion over 10 years.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1998 on: May 10, 2010, 05:01:22 PM »

My projections take all of that into account. The "cost" accounts for reduced expenditures (e.g. cutting farm subsidies) and lost revenue (e.g. tax credits). Those projections have the stated impact on the deficit, thus it will increase the deficit by $3 billion for each of the next two years and $10 billion over 10 years.
Does it include the cost saved with the drop in unemployment and welfare recipents?
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #1999 on: May 10, 2010, 09:01:29 PM »

I'm not an assemblyman yet, but I'm thinking about proposing a bill when I get elected, cutting the burning of fossil fuels in the Mideast by 20%.
What do you think?
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 ... 137  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies