Mideast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:30:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 81 82 ... 137
Author Topic: Mideast Assembly Thread  (Read 252034 times)
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1900 on: April 24, 2010, 03:04:24 PM »

NAY
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1901 on: April 24, 2010, 04:23:46 PM »

AYE.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1902 on: April 25, 2010, 12:17:45 AM »

AYE
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1903 on: April 26, 2010, 02:57:34 AM »

AYE
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1904 on: April 26, 2010, 10:25:04 AM »

NAY
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1905 on: April 26, 2010, 12:19:44 PM »

I implore the Governor to veto this bill.  I feel that it is increadibly fiscally unsound and there is no guarantee that it would in fact work.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1906 on: April 26, 2010, 02:10:36 PM »

A-Bob this version of the bill is as have been pointed out not very fiscally responsible, in that it lacks proper details on how this thing will be funded. Although I'm convinced this would eventually lead to economic gains for our region, for example by exporting algae fuel and a decrease (or even better elimination) of importation of foregin oil.

We do still however need to keep in mind our current budget, which is as it is now a bit unbalanced. To add another unfunded tax credit would not be wise. I'd like to see a modified version of this bill that clearly states how this would be funded. That's a bill I'd be happy to sign. This bill has a good base, but lacks a little in excicution. Would you be willing to agree to this compromise?

HW, although I obviously agree with you on this bill currently lacks fiscal soundness, I still think this is a good idea with a few small modifications. It's true that scientific reaserch IRL might not be quite there yet, but this is Atlasia, and the extra funding we gave to enviorment-friendly science a while ago might have resulted in a scientific report that supports the that the use of algae to create ethanol does indeed work perfectly well. (Besides, when you know the GM, everything is possible Wink) I think it's important that we don't loose this oppertunity for a bi-partisan act that will help our economic and enviormental future.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1907 on: April 26, 2010, 03:05:52 PM »

On the final vote for A RESOLUTION CONCERNING ALGAE PROMOTION AS ALTERNATIVE ENERGY:

The AYEs are 3, and the NAYs are 2.  The AYEs have it.  The bill is transmitted to the Governor for his veto or signature.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1908 on: April 26, 2010, 03:36:29 PM »

Next on the plate, we have this bill from Ben, and I also had drafted a bill (but hadn't posted it yet).  We'll debte both at the same time, and we may want to merge the two or combine parts of them:

The Infrastructure Renovation Act
1.  The Mideast government shall undertake an extensive survey of all existing Mideast infrastructure, determining the condition of all existing infrastructure.  The report shall determine if any infrastructure is in need of renovation, and shall specify exactly what renovation is necessary.
2.  Following the completion of this report, the Mideast shall appropriate whatever funds are necessary to complete all the required renovations specified in the report.  The renovations shall begin as soon as possible following the completion of the report.
3.  The funding for the renovations shall come from increases on the gas, sales, and property taxes in the Mideast ranging from 1-3% each depending on the required funding for renovations.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1909 on: April 26, 2010, 04:23:32 PM »

A-Bob this version of the bill is as have been pointed out not very fiscally responsible, in that it lacks proper details on how this thing will be funded. Although I'm convinced this would eventually lead to economic gains for our region, for example by exporting algae fuel and a decrease (or even better elimination) of importation of foregin oil.

We do still however need to keep in mind our current budget, which is as it is now a bit unbalanced. To add another unfunded tax credit would not be wise. I'd like to see a modified version of this bill that clearly states how this would be funded. That's a bill I'd be happy to sign. This bill has a good base, but lacks a little in excicution. Would you be willing to agree to this compromise?

HW, although I obviously agree with you on this bill currently lacks fiscal soundness, I still think this is a good idea with a few small modifications. It's true that scientific reaserch IRL might not be quite there yet, but this is Atlasia, and the extra funding we gave to enviorment-friendly science a while ago might have resulted in a scientific report that supports the that the use of algae to create ethanol does indeed work perfectly well. (Besides, when you know the GM, everything is possible Wink) I think it's important that we don't loose this oppertunity for a bi-partisan act that will help our economic and enviormental future.

Does the Governor have specific recommendations as The Governor pretty much does have final say on the bill via veto
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1910 on: April 27, 2010, 05:35:35 PM »

bump - Governor, you either need to sign/veto or it'll go into law anyway.

Assemblymen - input on the 2 infrastructure bills?
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1911 on: April 27, 2010, 05:53:45 PM »

Inks I'm intending to make my decission as how to handle this once I know if there will be a bill amending this to clearify how we will fund the project. I still have a few days before it goes into law without my signature.

A-Bob, I believe a cut in other farm subsides would be the most sensible cut to make. A small raise in taxes on tobaccoo products wouldn't be something I'd object to either.

California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1912 on: April 27, 2010, 08:20:14 PM »

Inks, would I be able add amendments the already passed bill or should I just compelty start over with this?

Governor, I wouldn't mind an increased tax on tobaccoo products as well as cuts in other ethanol (with products that cannot come close to matching algae's production) subsides we are currently funding
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1913 on: April 27, 2010, 11:55:20 PM »

You have 2 options:

1. The Governor vetoes the bill, and we pass an amended bill that he signs.
2. The Governor signs the bill, and we pass a new law that amends the original law.

But we cannot change the law until some form of action from the Governor.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1914 on: April 28, 2010, 03:24:46 AM »

If you draft a bill amending this one, I'll sign the other one into law, so that you'll be able to pass that one.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1915 on: April 28, 2010, 07:45:14 AM »

If you draft a bill amending this one, I'll sign the other one into law, so that you'll be able to pass that one.

Wouldn't option #1 proposed by Inks be more efficient?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1916 on: April 28, 2010, 11:47:16 AM »

This is the amendment I would currently attach

Amendment on ALGAE PROMOTION AS ALTERNATIVE ENERGY
WHEREAS: The original bill lacks specific funding, the following taxes are proposed to pay for the tax credit
BE IT RESOLVED: A 11% Marijuana tax (since it is legal) and a raise tax on all tobacco products by 2%
WHEREAS: The original bill lacks specific funding, the following cuts will be made in the budget of the next fiscal year.
BE IT RESOLVED: Eliminate all corn, soy and other food ethanol subsidies.
WHEREAS: The price of a gallon of algae is at $33, $12,000 a year is needed to maintain and algae farm and the cost of one acre of algae farm is $32,000 and those costs will go down with breakthroughs in innovation and technology to better use algae energy
BE IT RESOLVED: The Mideast will give 2% business tax credit to any company or organization researching algae efficiency and a 10% business tax credit to any company or organization that finds a break through algae energy, determined by a task force headed by the Governor.
WHEREAS: Hundreds of acres are needed to build one algae farm
BE IT RESOLVED: A $1,000 tax credit per acre will be given to any farmer, business or organization creating between fifty and one hundred acres of algae.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1917 on: April 28, 2010, 11:49:57 AM »

I like The Infrastructure Renovation Act more

Would it be possible to create a very large and well built high way from Virginia to the Midwest that could be tolled. If it was large enough and built well enough, many Mideast citizens would use it and the highway could pay for itself.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1918 on: April 28, 2010, 01:13:53 PM »

This is the amendment I would currently attach

WHEREAS: The original bill lacks specific funding, the following taxes are proposed to pay for the tax credit
BE IT RESOLVED: A 11% Marijuana tax (since it is legal) and a raise tax on all tobacco products by 2%
WHEREAS: The original bill lacks specific funding, the following cuts will be made in the budget of the next fiscal year.
BE IT RESOLVED: Eliminate all corn, soy and other food ethanol subsidies.
WHEREAS: The price of a gallon of algae is at $33, $12,000 a year is needed to maintain and algae farm and the cost of one acre of algae farm is $32,000 and those costs will go down with breakthroughs in innovation and technology to better use algae energy
BE IT RESOLVED: The Mideast will give 2% business tax credit to any company or organization researching algae efficiency and a 10% business tax credit to any company or organization that finds a break through algae energy, determined by a task force headed by the Governor.
WHEREAS: Hundreds of acres are needed to build one algae farm
BE IT RESOLVED: A $1,000 tax credit per acre will be given to any farmer, business or organization creating between fifty and one hundred acres of algae.

While there may be an argument against corn and soy ethanol subsidies as sources such as switchgrass (and apparently maybe algae) are far more efficient, may I nitpick suggest that such subsidies be phased out over several years rather than done away with at once? The infrastructure for the refining process needs time to convert, alternate crop sources for ethanol need time to be produced in sufficient amount to replace corn and soy, and farmers and the regional agricultural economy will need time to adjust as well.

Otherwise I fear the result may be a shortage of both new and traditional ethanol sources, insufficient refining capacity to exacerbate the fuel shortage, plus many farm failures resulting from the immediate termination of ethanol subsidies (many are currently stretched for sufficient operating capital, let alone to immediately invest in retooling their fields and equipment in a single season).

On a similar note, check some of the attached links:

http://www.bcic.ca/images/stories/publications/lifesciences/microalgae_report.pdf

http://www.carbontrust.co.uk/pages/searchresults.aspx?q=Algae+biofuels+challenge&pn=0&ps=10
(particularly the 3rd and 4th articles "Green Oil...." and "Biofuels Case Study...")

The gist of these articles indicate that, while algae has the potential of eventually being a cleaner, cheaper and more efficient fuel than traditional ethanol, currently it's current high production costs keep it at the R&D stage for now rather than an immediately viable alternative energy source.

Accordingly, maybe a better alternative for now would be to fund R&D for algae bioenergy studies and experiments rather than subsidize mass production. Switchgrass actually seems to be closer to a viable alternative, but that also may still need additional R&D before reaching economic viability (even with short-medium term govenment subsidies).
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1919 on: April 28, 2010, 01:41:24 PM »

I agree with Badger - simply cutting off subsidies like that would be detrimental to some farmers.

And if we want people to begin using algae as alternative energy, why not increase taxes on some other energy form (I don't care what - A-bob, it's your bill, you can do what you want) instead of raising taxes on marijuana and tobacco which are completely unrelated to this issue?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1920 on: April 28, 2010, 02:24:43 PM »

Would everyone then at the assembly be okay with R&D on algae until we get a breakthrough from the game moderator?

If so then I'll go to draft a different amendment
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1921 on: April 28, 2010, 02:29:42 PM »

BE IT RESOLVED: That the contents of ALGAE PROMOTION AS ALTERNATIVE ENERGY will be repealed from the bill and replaced with the following
WHEREAS: The price of a gallon of algae is at $33, $5,000 (edit from original bill) a year is needed to maintain and algae farm and the cost of one acre of algae farm is $32,000 and those costs will go down with breakthroughs in innovation and technology to better use algae energy
BE IT RESOLVED: The Mideast will give 5% business tax credit to any company or organization researching algae efficiency and a 15%-20% business tax credit to any company or organization that finds a break through algae energy, determined by a task force headed by the Governor.  This tax credit will be paid for with a 2% increase in all tobacco products and 1cent increase in the gas tax.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1922 on: April 28, 2010, 02:34:42 PM »

You can't amend it until the Governor signs or vetoes it.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1923 on: April 28, 2010, 04:33:24 PM »

Would everyone then at the assembly be okay with R&D on algae until we get a breakthrough from the game moderator?

If so then I'll go to draft a different amendment

What's R&D?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1924 on: April 28, 2010, 04:39:36 PM »

Research and development, I assume.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 81 82 ... 137  
« previous next »
Jump to: