Mideast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:12:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 ... 137
Author Topic: Mideast Assembly Thread  (Read 252391 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1750 on: March 10, 2010, 12:17:11 PM »

Aye

I'd just like to say that the Pacific is glad to know we have a friend in the Mideast Region. Smiley

Lots of them, actually. Smiley

Liberalism, conservatism, libertarianism and other ideologies aside: All Atlasians unite when one group attempts secession and civil war.

Actually, I think the SE is just still pissed they lost the last Civil War. Wink

Virginia?

Well, I see your point. I understand the entire Confederacy isn't in the SE, but all of the SE is in the old Confederacy (except NM and Puerto Rico, IIRC).

No.

Yeah, NM is in the Pacific.

Wasn't sure about that. Corrected.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1751 on: March 10, 2010, 08:44:29 PM »

On the final vote for the Sobriety in the Mideast Public Finances Bill:

The AYEs are 5, and the NAYs are 0.  The AYEs have it.  The bill is transmitted to the Governor for his veto or signature.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1752 on: March 10, 2010, 11:38:14 PM »

With debate having ended at least 24 hours ago, voting is now open on the following bill.  This will be a 48 hour vote:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix
E: 9.68, S: -0.70

« Reply #1753 on: March 10, 2010, 11:46:57 PM »

Aye

I'd just like to say that the Pacific is glad to know we have a friend in the Mideast Region. Smiley

Lots of them, actually. Smiley

Liberalism, conservatism, libertarianism and other ideologies aside: All Atlasians unite when one group attempts secession and civil war.

Actually, I think the SE is just still pissed they lost the last Civil War. Wink

Virginia?

Well, I see your point. I understand the entire Confederacy isn't in the SE, but all of the SE is in the old Confederacy (except NM and Puerto Rico, IIRC).

No.

Yeah, NM is in the Pacific.

NM was also in the Confederacy, just not as a state.

By the way, my real reason for popping is was for Mideasterners to let me know what they think of my proposed used car sales tax.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1754 on: March 11, 2010, 03:13:12 AM »

With debate having ended at least 24 hours ago, voting is now open on the following bill.  This will be a 48 hour vote:

AYE
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1755 on: March 11, 2010, 03:16:49 AM »

AYE
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1756 on: March 11, 2010, 05:53:23 PM »

AYE.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1757 on: March 12, 2010, 04:25:19 AM »

Guys I'm going to fullfill one of my campaign promisis. I'd like to introduce the following:

Amendment to Amend the Amendment That Amended an Amended Assembly

The Amendment to Amend Article III of the Mideast Constitution, is herby repealed.

For you who don't know what I'm talking about.

I personally feel that the expansion of this body has worked rather ill. Elections are less competive, as there are too many seats, too few candidates. The work of the Assembly has become much less effective. Debating and voting takes much longer time, and bills that in the three seat assembly would have been handled in a single day or two, now is pending for a rather long time without reason. Many of this assembly's members have also been very inactive, I suspect in large part because there are to little work for 5 assemblymen to be busy.

We tried this model, and it is my oppinion that it has worked worse than our previous Assembly. A lot of Mideasterners share my oppinion, and during my run for Governor I promised them I'd push for a potential repeal. Therefore I'd like for this assembly to reconsider this amendment.     
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1758 on: March 12, 2010, 04:38:44 AM »

In that case, you can stick it on a ballot whenever you want (within the guidelines of electoral calendaring, of course).
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1759 on: March 12, 2010, 05:41:57 AM »

The precedent Assembly was indeed rather inactive.
This one is pretty much active, I think we all can acknowledge it.

With our dear Speaker soon keeping on implementing the PASLBAG law, we'll have soon more debates on old laws and that may imply new legislative work.
I think we should wait for another term, in order to see if the PASLBAG law indeed makes every Assemblyman take part actively in the legislative work of our Assembly.

I'm myself a bit sceptical about this enlargement to five members.
But I don't think the changes in the work of our Assembly depend on the number of our Assemblymen.
In the beginning of 2009, a 3-member Assembly wasn't very active.
Then, on the contrary, in the mid-2009, a 3-member Assembly was a pretty lively one.
It has been the same for the 5-member Assemblies.

Mideasterners who want even more activity int he Assembly should be candidates.

It seems as if there will be more candidates this time...
So, let's give this enlargement one more term to prove to be efficient or not.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1760 on: March 12, 2010, 06:09:34 AM »

In that case, you can stick it on a ballot whenever you want (within the guidelines of electoral calendaring, of course).

I can? Sweet Smiley

Of course if you guys don't mind me taking up some of your time I'd want to hear the Assemblymen's oppinion on this. I think it's important to have your oppinion before I move forward.

Considering how close we are to the next Assembly elections, I doubt that there is any way I could possibly push this through before the next Assembly is seated, so you will have another chance to prove yourself before reform like this could be passed.

JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1761 on: March 12, 2010, 06:19:17 AM »

On another note though

- Swedish Cheese

I'd like to veto this, but considering the vote was five in favour I see no point as it would be overriden, and would only cause a lot of procedural work and a minor delay. So...

- Swedish Cheese

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1762 on: March 12, 2010, 11:02:02 AM »

Personally, I'd like to see how the next Assembly goes before we change anything, but again, the timing of the Amendment is really up to you.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1763 on: March 13, 2010, 07:20:26 PM »

On the final vote for the Labor Protection Act:

The AYEs are 3, and the NAYs are 0, with 2 not voting.  The AYEs have it.  The bill is transmitted to the Governor for his veto or signature.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1764 on: March 13, 2010, 07:23:30 PM »

I'm glad to see my labor bill passed.  It's not as strong as I had hoped it would be, but unfortunately I did not have the time to really work on getting a stronger bill passed.  Hopefully I'll have time in the next session to get more legislation passed, better defining exactly what labor laws exist, and getting more stringent and defined penalties onto the books.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1765 on: March 13, 2010, 07:33:44 PM »

I'm glad to see my labor bill passed.  It's not as strong as I had hoped it would be, but unfortunately I did not have the time to really work on getting a stronger bill passed.  Hopefully I'll have time in the next session to get more legislation passed, better defining exactly what labor laws exist, and getting more stringent and defined penalties onto the books.

But instead of just paying 1 penalty, they pay 2 now, so while it may have weakened the bill in areas, it strengthened it in others.  I think it's a pretty good bill.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1766 on: March 13, 2010, 08:09:49 PM »

But instead of just paying 1 penalty, they pay 2 now, so while it may have weakened the bill in areas, it strengthened it in others.  I think it's a pretty good bill.

It's a good bill, which is why I voted for it.  I didn't have any objections strong enough to provoke a negative vote; if I'm reelected, though, I intend to go back to work on an overall tougher bill, and hopefully one which clearly defines our labor laws, to clear up any questions Mideastern businesses may have.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1767 on: March 14, 2010, 04:21:33 PM »

Can I introduce a bill, my good friends? It would be rather important, so I was just curious.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1768 on: March 14, 2010, 07:21:52 PM »

Can I introduce a bill, my good friends? It would be rather important, so I was just curious.

Absolutely.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1769 on: March 14, 2010, 07:40:03 PM »

Second Hand Act of 2010

1. The Office of Lieutenant Governor is re-established in the Mideast Region.

2. The Mideast Lieutenant Governor would be elected in a separate election from the Governor of the Mideast, although elections would occur at the same time (January, May, September).

3. If passed, the Lieutenant Governor would step in and become Acting Governor of the Mideast if the current Governor declared his or her absence for a period of time. If the Governor is declared inactive, the Lieutenant Governor would be promoted to Governor of the Mideast.

4. If the Lieutenant Governor is declared inactive or the position is vacant, the Governor of the Mideast has the authority to appoint a new Lieutenant Governor.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #1770 on: March 14, 2010, 08:39:18 PM »

I could support this, but I think the lieutenant governor ought to be elected on the same ticket.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1771 on: March 14, 2010, 10:10:28 PM »

Point of order: this would have to be a Constitutional Amendment.  I formally write it up for you if you want, but I'd probably be opposed to adding another office to the regional government at this point in time.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1772 on: March 14, 2010, 11:42:25 PM »

Point of order: this would have to be a Constitutional Amendment.  I formally write it up for you if you want, but I'd probably be opposed to adding another office to the regional government at this point in time.

Oh, yeah, forgot that it would have to be a constitutional amendment. D'oh!

Sure, if you wish to write it up, please do so.

I could support this, but I think the lieutenant governor ought to be elected on the same ticket.

Well, perhaps. I was thinking more along the lines of parties putting up tickets, but the elections being separate. Either way would be fine.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1773 on: March 15, 2010, 05:50:28 AM »

Like our Speaker, I'm reluctant to create another government position.

We need to contain or even reduce our public spendings.
Our 5-member Assembly is already disputed (but I think there is work for 5 members: don't forget the PASLBAG law ! Wink - hey, Mr.Speaker... ,)).

And we don't need a Lt. Governor who would be here just ro replace a vacancy in the Governorship.

Our Assembly would be glad to hear our Governor's opinion on this proposal, I think.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1774 on: March 15, 2010, 09:06:52 AM »

I question the need for an office that exists for no other purpose than to step up when and if a vacancy, either permanent or short term, occurs.

If someone could refresh my memory, though, what is the current regional law regarding the line of succession for governor? I assume there is one, and if so it involves the Speaker of the Assembly somehow.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 ... 137  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies