Mideast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:44:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 137
Author Topic: Mideast Assembly Thread  (Read 252345 times)
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1500 on: December 05, 2009, 08:31:05 PM »

Just a thought?  Shouldnt the amendment be worded with "recall" not "impeachment," since impeachment is never mentioned in the constitution, only recalls are?  Furthermore, impeachment implies legal wrongdoing.  Recall doesn't.

Inks I appreciate that you read through the bills and point out the mistakes you find in them, especially when it comes to mistake in wording and language since a respectable portion of the assembly has a native language that isn't English... but WHY do you always do it after the vote has already started? Tongue

The better question is, why do you have to open voting on bills on days that I'm in Detroit watching Central Michigan win the MAC championship?  Tongue

Hmm that is a fair question I guess Wink

Good for you  that your team won Mr Governor.

I'd like to hear what my fellow Assemblymen says before I make decission wether to stop the vote on this bill or not.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1501 on: December 05, 2009, 09:02:04 PM »

May I offer this slightly modified version without further parlimentary ado? I added the word recall and left in impeachment just in case if there is determined a constitutional mechanism for such procedure. If there isn't, the language is mere surplusage and does no harm.

Recent events have demonstrated the need for this amendment to the Mideast Constitution. When a lawsuit is filed, there should be no issue of politics--or accusation of politics--in having to select a justice to hear the case. Nor should there be a delay of several days to a week or more to make the determination of the judge to try the case. (no criticism of Governor Inks' handling of the current case--he handled it as expeditiously as could be expected, but why put a governor through that every time there's a lawsuit filed?).

Therefore:

THE MIDEAST CONSISTENCY IN THE ADMINISTRATION OF JUSTICE ACT

Article II, Section 2, Paragraph 3 of the Mideast Constitution is amended FROM:

"3.A nomination to the Superior Court shall only be held in the event of a need for the adjudication of a case pertaining to Mideast law within the Mideast region. The justice's tenure shall last only as long as needed to resolve the case at hand."

TO:

"3. A nomination to the Superior Court, unless terminated early by resignation, recall, or impeachment, shall be subject to reconfirmation by majority vote of the Mideastern Assembly every third session of the Assembly after initial confirmation. Should the Assembly fail to take a vote on renomination of the Superior Court Judge during the session in which the judge is normally subject to reconfirmation, it will act as if the Judge is reconfirmed accordingly. "

The second sentence is added just in case there is a busy session and no one thinks to bring the judge(s) of the Superior Court up for a reconfirmation vote (and if there hasn't been any activity in the Court, that's all too likely a scenario), the Judge will not be automatically out of a job due to the Assembly's oversight. If there is cause for concern about a Judge's performance it will surely be brought up at the session at which the judge is due for reconfirmation.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1502 on: December 06, 2009, 12:44:48 AM »

But impeachment implies that he can be removed by a legislative body.  Why not just keep it at "resignation or recall" and add in impeachment if we ever establish impeachment in the Constitution?
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1503 on: December 06, 2009, 05:33:16 PM »

But impeachment implies that he can be removed by a legislative body.  Why not just keep it at "resignation or recall" and add in impeachment if we ever establish impeachment in the Constitution?

I agree with our Governor on this. Let's stick with the current "reality".
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1504 on: December 06, 2009, 06:58:47 PM »

Fine.

May I offer this slightly modified version without further parlimentary ado? I added the word recall and left in impeachment just in case if there is determined a constitutional mechanism for such procedure. If there isn't, the language is mere surplusage and does no harm.

Recent events have demonstrated the need for this amendment to the Mideast Constitution. When a lawsuit is filed, there should be no issue of politics--or accusation of politics--in having to select a justice to hear the case. Nor should there be a delay of several days to a week or more to make the determination of the judge to try the case. (no criticism of Governor Inks' handling of the current case--he handled it as expeditiously as could be expected, but why put a governor through that every time there's a lawsuit filed?).

Therefore:

THE MIDEAST CONSISTENCY IN THE ADMINISTRATION OF JUSTICE ACT

Article II, Section 2, Paragraph 3 of the Mideast Constitution is amended FROM:

"3.A nomination to the Superior Court shall only be held in the event of a need for the adjudication of a case pertaining to Mideast law within the Mideast region. The justice's tenure shall last only as long as needed to resolve the case at hand."

TO:

"3. A nomination to the Superior Court, unless terminated early by resignation or recall, or impeachment shall be subject to reconfirmation by majority vote of the Mideastern Assembly every third session of the Assembly after initial confirmation. Should the Assembly fail to take a vote on renomination of the Superior Court Judge during the session in which the judge is normally subject to reconfirmation, it will act as if the Judge is reconfirmed accordingly. "

The second sentence is added just in case there is a busy session and no one thinks to bring the judge(s) of the Superior Court up for a reconfirmation vote (and if there hasn't been any activity in the Court, that's all too likely a scenario), the Judge will not be automatically out of a job due to the Assembly's oversight. If there is cause for concern about a Judge's performance it will surely be brought up at the session at which the judge is due for reconfirmation.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #1505 on: December 06, 2009, 09:21:57 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

How come that last paragraph is there?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1506 on: December 07, 2009, 08:59:34 AM »

That's not part of the bill, but rather an explanation for the second sentence of the bill.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #1507 on: December 07, 2009, 10:41:51 AM »

That's not part of the bill, but rather an explanation for the second sentence of the bill.

Yes but the way it's written makes me think it's part of the bill.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1508 on: December 07, 2009, 12:33:07 PM »

It's not. I promise. :-)
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #1509 on: December 07, 2009, 01:34:21 PM »

It's not. I promise. :-)

Oh, ok.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1510 on: December 07, 2009, 09:14:24 PM »

Not to rush you guys, but if you can finish the vote on this by Wednesday night, I'd appreciate it.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1511 on: December 08, 2009, 05:46:20 AM »

Our Speaker may resubmit it with the new word and without the last paragraph.

I'll vote AYE almost immediately.

And has anybody news from Gio ?
Even though we can keep on working, it's a bit embarrassing, as his political positioning may well decide some votes one way or the other !
Therefore I don't push and push my Reviewing Bill again.
Therefore I don't make any new proposal.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1512 on: December 08, 2009, 08:23:53 AM »

Aye.

Finals time is getting a lot of people, methinks.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #1513 on: December 08, 2009, 09:38:41 AM »

Me, I will save my vote until Swedish Cheese opens it up. I think the two of you will need to do likewise; are votes cast on a bill valid even if the vote is not yet opened?
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1514 on: December 08, 2009, 09:48:29 AM »

Our Speaker may resubmit it with the new word and without the last paragraph.

I'll vote AYE almost immediately.

And has anybody news from Gio ?
Even though we can keep on working, it's a bit embarrassing, as his political positioning may well decide some votes one way or the other !
Therefore I don't push and push my Reviewing Bill again.
Therefore I don't make any new proposal.

Please note the future !
I'm waiting for the vote to open on the right version.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #1515 on: December 08, 2009, 09:52:09 AM »

Oh, forgot that.

Though Badger still did vote. Tongue
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1516 on: December 08, 2009, 07:12:46 PM »

Oh, forgot that.

Though Badger still did vote. Tongue

My bad. I read Fab's post too quickly, saw the AYE in there, and chaos ensued.

Mr. Speaker? We're all set here.....
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #1517 on: December 09, 2009, 09:31:55 PM »

*bump*

Still nothing from Swedish Cheese.

By the way I intend to introduce some legislation by the time we are done with this one.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1518 on: December 09, 2009, 11:41:39 PM »

*bump*

Still nothing from Swedish Cheese.

By the way I intend to introduce some legislation by the time we are done with this one.

This is very unlike him. Hope it's just a case of finalsitis and not anything more serious.

Still no word from Gio either?
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1519 on: December 10, 2009, 04:15:20 AM »

Dear Speaker,
My fellow Assemblymen,

I hereby resign from my position of Mideast Assemblyman.

As I've said to our Governor, I'm sorry to say this so abruptly, even if there were some signs...

But a mix of personal and Atlasian reasons have led me to crush my intent of sticking to my word and finishing my term.

I hope you will forgive me. I'm not very proud of this but I'm so disappointed of Atlasia that I wasn't able to keep on.

I wish you the best in your fine legislative work.

Feel free to bring back my Reviewing Laws bill and updated versions of my amendments on private property and right to life.

It was a great thing to work with you to try to improve the legal environment of our great Mideast.

Yours friendly.

Big Bad Fab
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1520 on: December 10, 2009, 11:15:14 AM »

Oh sorry guys. This just slipped from my attention. Voting for the amended version is herby opened.

BBF I'm really sorry to see you go. You've been a great Assemblyman, and in your time here you've done a lot for the Mideast as a legislator.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1521 on: December 10, 2009, 12:58:10 PM »

Aye.

Good to see you back, Mr. Speaker. :-) Was your absence the last week a case of finals?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1522 on: December 10, 2009, 01:40:09 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2009, 01:47:09 PM by Governor, Fmr. Chairman, Fmr. Judge, & Queen Mum Inks.LWC »

Can somebody get ahold of Giovanni - what is the e-mail address he wants his activation code sent to?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1523 on: December 12, 2009, 12:45:55 AM »

Could somebody with some free time please get me Giovanni's e-mail address?
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #1524 on: December 12, 2009, 01:04:37 AM »

Oh sorry guys. This just slipped from my attention. Voting for the amended version is herby opened.

BBF I'm really sorry to see you go. You've been a great Assemblyman, and in your time here you've done a lot for the Mideast as a legislator.

Aye 
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 137  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies