Mideast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:59:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 137
Author Topic: Mideast Assembly Thread  (Read 252480 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: January 04, 2009, 09:31:56 PM »

So let's have a vote on the Troll Resistance Commemoration Act.

Aye

Don't Amendments have to be proposed by the Governor or Assembly? How do we put it before the people? Voting Booth?

The Speaker has to bring that to a vote.  And Amendments can be proposed by either the Governor or the Assembly, but only the Governor can open the voting booth, so that's really up to the Governor.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #301 on: January 04, 2009, 09:37:51 PM »

Okay understood. So I guess we have a formal request of the Speaker to call a vote in the TRA and a request of the Governor to open a booth for the Amendment.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #302 on: January 04, 2009, 09:59:51 PM »

There isn't a Speaker at the moment.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #303 on: January 04, 2009, 10:04:51 PM »

*Smacks head on keyboard*

So lets get one. Is it done by the Governor or the Assembly?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #304 on: January 04, 2009, 10:42:26 PM »

Well Franzl had been doing it since no else wants to. If you want to do it I suspect Inks and Peter would be OK with it.

There just needs to be some sort of vote or agreement.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #305 on: January 04, 2009, 10:59:36 PM »

I'll take it if it will help get agendas through. I tried searching the laws and couldn't find anything on the Speaker. Are there any statutes addressing it or is it just making sure that things run smoothly.

So motion to make me Speaker...

Aye
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #306 on: January 04, 2009, 11:02:07 PM »

I don't there are any statues or guidelines. We just sort of make the rules as needed as we go along here in the Mideast.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #307 on: January 04, 2009, 11:07:30 PM »

I don't there are any statues or guidelines. We just sort of make the rules as needed as we go along here in the Mideast.

And I'm such a micro-manager and always need rules. Will make it work.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #308 on: January 04, 2009, 11:22:37 PM »

If you'd like to write some down it'd probably be for the best. We're just all too lazy to.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #309 on: January 04, 2009, 11:23:52 PM »

Yeah I'm on break and bored. I'd be happy to shove a whole bunch of laws and amendments through.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #310 on: January 04, 2009, 11:59:26 PM »

No offense to Purple State, but I think somebody with a little more Mideastern experience would be better.  I'll take it, but if Peter wants it, Peter, you can have it.

As for how we get a speaker, one must just be nominated and then voted on (that was the first resolution that the Assembly passed - I believe it's on page 2 of this thread, but I'm too lazy to go and quote it).

So, if somebody would like to nominate me, then go ahead, otherwise, I nominate Peter.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #311 on: January 05, 2009, 12:05:41 AM »

So nominated.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #312 on: January 05, 2009, 12:10:28 AM »

Now we just have to wait for Peter's input.  Actually - we'll just put both to a vote.  I don't care either way, so I'll vote AYE on both.  Peter, if you want the position, just vote NAY on me and AYE on yourself.  I'll bring it to a vote since we don't have a speaker:

On the confirmation of Inks.LWC as Speaker of the Assembly: AYE

On the confirmation of Peter as Speaker of the Assembly: AYE
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #313 on: January 05, 2009, 12:11:37 AM »

So because he isn't here yet, Aye to Inks for Speaker.

Now let's get some stuff passed.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #314 on: January 05, 2009, 12:14:12 AM »

So because he isn't here yet, Aye to Inks for Speaker.

Now let's get some stuff passed.

I'm not going to close the vote until Peter gives input.  He's been a longtime citizen of the region and if he wants the position of Speaker, he can have it.  The legislation can wait until tomorrow.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #315 on: January 05, 2009, 02:30:58 PM »

An address from the Governor.

Dear friends.

Let me be blunt, as I have said before the Second Constitution of the Mideast is not fit for purpose. I am aware of, support and appreciate the efforts by many in this legislature to make amendments to this constitution. I put to the Assembly that as Governor I do not have confidence in the constitution to hold elections outwith a designated window. Even Article IV is a joke, but I won't comment much more on that rather than it makes me nostalgic for the First Constitution.

What it has led to is fragmented and even unconstitutional governance. I believe that as sticking plasters can't heal a broken leg, neither can a series of amendments fix what needs to be fixed. Besides, a heavily mended constitution bears the hallmarks of it's essential failure as a government and civil document.

Perhaps the time has come for a Third Constitution.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #316 on: January 05, 2009, 02:42:37 PM »
« Edited: January 05, 2009, 11:51:07 PM by Judge, Fmr. Chairman, Fmr. Governor, & Queen Mum Inks.LWC »

Governor, as I said in your office - Amendments have always (at least since I've been a citizen) been opened as necessary, not during the window.  Besides, this region could use a good court case!  But seriously, that precedent has never been challenged, and I see no reason that it would be now.

Furthermore, I STRONGLY oppose a Third Constitution.  Calls for a second constitution were the exact thing that got us in this mess.  I don't know if you remember what happened (I don't think you were quite as involved back then - lucky you), but we called for a constitutional convention only to find me as the only person who kept bumping the thread trying to get things done.  So then the PEOPLE of the Mideast pushed it onto Xahar to do.  And he gave us what we have now.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #317 on: January 05, 2009, 06:45:45 PM »

If we get enough interest in forming a Third Constitution it is definitely worth consideration. I give you my word I would help considerably to make things work, as I believe the Governor seems like one to be active in such a process. I would support this if it were to be carried out.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #318 on: January 05, 2009, 11:51:44 PM »

If we get enough interest in forming a Third Constitution it is definitely worth consideration. I give you my word I would help considerably to make things work, as I believe the Governor seems like one to be active in such a process. I would support this if it were to be carried out.

If I see that actions will actually be carried through, I'll support it.  But we've had promises for action in the past that have often fallen through.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #319 on: January 05, 2009, 11:55:37 PM »

If I see that actions will actually be carried through, I'll support it.  But we've had promises for action in the past that have often fallen through.

As I said, I'm bored and am very into the whole government scene. I know I'm new in Atlasia but I bring passion and time.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #320 on: January 06, 2009, 01:57:08 PM »

I apologise for not getting to this earlier - busy couple of days.

I vote in favour of Inks.LWC for the Speakership. I have no particular desire to serve in the Speakership and in addition to the sentiments Inks has already expressed, I would like to say that I am opposed to an Assemblyman who has attained office through appointment from being elevated to the Speakership unless there is no obvious elected choice.

I have been asked to give my input surrounding the current discussion over the Amendment. I tend to lean towards the Governor's position and would be happy to lend help to a Convention process as necessary. Some have called for an immediate set of Amendments to be proposed to the people as soon as possible to rectify certain faults that have been identified - I have to disagree: a more considered approach is needed if we are to avoid patching one problem but creating another. This is not the time for a backroom discussion between 2 or 3 key players, but time for the whole Region to come together.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #321 on: January 06, 2009, 01:59:17 PM »

I would have supported Inks or Peter (no disrespect to Purple State, though).

Anyway, since Peter has declined....as former speaker, I wish to offer Inks my full support and congratulations.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #322 on: January 06, 2009, 02:01:24 PM »

Anyway, since Peter has declined....as former speaker, I wish to offer Inks my full support and congratulations.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #323 on: January 06, 2009, 02:40:38 PM »

I would have supported Inks or Peter (no disrespect to Purple State, though).

None taken.

I have been asked to give my input surrounding the current discussion over the Amendment. I tend to lean towards the Governor's position and would be happy to lend help to a Convention process as necessary. Some have called for an immediate set of Amendments to be proposed to the people as soon as possible to rectify certain faults that have been identified - I have to disagree: a more considered approach is needed if we are to avoid patching one problem but creating another. This is not the time for a backroom discussion between 2 or 3 key players, but time for the whole Region to come together.

So how do we get there? We should try to avoid having anything more than the January elections under the current Constitution if consensus does, in fact, decide to hold a Third Convention.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #324 on: January 06, 2009, 03:44:02 PM »

Due to the fact that we now have at least 3 people committed to getting us a new Constitution, I will support the movement.  However, I do so cautiously - this is not something that we can just start and stop when we get bored.  It must be completed, and completed well, otherwise we'll find ourselves back in this position in another 6 months.

Now, the process for a Constitutional Convention (and this is the same as last time): The Constitution offers no provision for a CC.  This means that we need to simply pass the Third Constitution as an "Amendment" to the 2nd Constitution (for those of you who find this weird sounding, it's what we did when we voted on the 2nd Constitution).  This means that for the 3C to pass, we need a 2/3 majority support of the Constitution/Amendment.

The Assembly could pass legislation allowing for a convention, but we must remember that anything done in that convention is not legally binding.  The only thing that will be legally binding is the vote by the people.  I think we can get this done for the January election, which means it would go into effect AFTER the January election.

So, my question to the Assembly is, how do we want to do this?  Do we want to set up some kind of non-binding convention or do we want to do it some other way?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 137  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies