Mideast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:55:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 ... 137
Author Topic: Mideast Assembly Thread  (Read 252079 times)
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1875 on: April 16, 2010, 03:41:35 AM »

I didn't know algae could be used so effectivly as a means to create fuel. This is something I'll definatley have to find out more about.

If Algea could indeed be used to create ethanol that could replace traditional oil, that would be an replacement that would pay off eventually, not just from an economic perspective, but from an enviormental perspective as well.

It is of course a problem that our budget is very tight right now, so I would suggest a potential cut in some other area to go with this. Personally I might suggest taking funding from farm subsides.

Purple State, could you possibly calculate how much the Region gives in farm subsides, and how much of it could possibly be cut, when you're on it?   

big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1876 on: April 16, 2010, 04:33:35 AM »

Due to works in my house (and myself in holiday at home, so not able to connect from my workplace), I won't be able to connect to Atlasia for one week.
I'm deeply sorry.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1877 on: April 16, 2010, 03:02:12 PM »

I didn't know algae could be used so effectivly as a means to create fuel. This is something I'll definatley have to find out more about.

If Algea could indeed be used to create ethanol that could replace traditional oil, that would be an replacement that would pay off eventually, not just from an economic perspective, but from an enviormental perspective as well.

It is of course a problem that our budget is very tight right now, so I would suggest a potential cut in some other area to go with this. Personally I might suggest taking funding from farm subsides.

Purple State, could you possibly calculate how much the Region gives in farm subsides, and how much of it could possibly be cut, when you're on it?

I'll work on that in my analysis.

Just to give you a general idea of what the biggest industries are in the region, you can take a look at the most recent employment numbers:

Regional News

Employment & Population Information by Region
The following lists the top three industries in each region in order:
Northeast = Service; Trade and Transportation; Government
Mideast =Manufacturing; Trade and Transportation; Government
Southeast = Manufacturing; Trade and Transportation; Agriculture
Midwest = Manufacturing; Agriculture; Health
Pacific = Government; Trade and Transportation; Education

Agriculture isn't huge, so the impact of the bill, as well as the amount of farm subsidies will not likely be very large in the Mideast.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1878 on: April 16, 2010, 05:00:07 PM »

A score...on algae farms? I'll see what I can do. Wink

EDIT: Is that $5,000 for every 2 acres? Or just for the first 2 acres?
5,000 for the first 2 acres NOT every 2 acres
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1879 on: April 16, 2010, 05:02:09 PM »

How about cuts in ethanol subsidies to pay for algae? Corn Ethanol at its full potential, using all farmland in the US, wouldn't even replace 20% of our dependence on oil. Algae is a great breakthrough in the future, yet expensive which is why we should be focused in investing our money there instead of in corn or soy ethanol which can't even come close to the production of algae   
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1880 on: April 16, 2010, 05:03:55 PM »

How about cuts in ethanol subsidies to pay for algae? Corn Ethanol at its full potential, using all farmland in the US, wouldn't even replace 20% of our dependence on oil. Algae is a great breakthrough in the future, yet expensive which is why we should be focused in investing our money there instead of in corn or soy ethanol which can't even come close to the production of algae   

Sounds like a pretty good idea to me.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1881 on: April 16, 2010, 06:11:46 PM »

Alright, I'll aim for Sunday for a report on this.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1882 on: April 16, 2010, 08:59:37 PM »

Alright, I'll aim for Sunday for a report on this.

Thanks. I believe that while our agricultural industry may not be the largest, we have the opportunity to lead Atlasia on a path to not just energy independence, but alternative energy indepdnence that is realistic and not just promises
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1883 on: April 17, 2010, 07:24:29 PM »

On the final vote for A RESOLUTION CONCERNING INVASIVE SPECIES-NEED FOR A STUDY IN THE Mideast Region:

The AYEs are 5, and the NAYs are 0.  The AYEs have it.  The bill is transmitted to the Governor for his veto or signature.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1884 on: April 18, 2010, 03:50:46 PM »

The Infrastructure Renovation Act
1.  The Mideast government shall undertake an extensive survey of all existing Mideast infrastructure, determining the condition of all existing infrastructure.  The report shall determine if any infrastructure is in need of renovation, and shall specify exactly what renovation is necessary.
2.  Following the completion of this report, the Mideast shall appropriate whatever funds are necessary to complete all the required renovations specified in the report.  The renovations shall begin as soon as possible following the completion of the report.
3.  The funding for the renovations shall come from increases on the gas, sales, and property taxes in the Mideast ranging from 1-3% each depending on the required funding for renovations.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1885 on: April 19, 2010, 05:08:41 AM »

1.  The Mideast government shall undertake an extensive survey of all existing Mideast infrastructure, determining the condition of all existing infrastructure.  The report shall determine if any infrastructure is in need of renovation, and shall specify exactly what renovation is necessary.
2.  Following the completion of this report, the Mideast shall appropriate whatever funds are necessary to complete all the required renovations specified in the report.  The renovations shall begin as soon as possible following the completion of the report.
3.  The funding for the renovations shall come from increases on the gas, sales, and property taxes in the Mideast ranging from 1-3% each depending on the required funding for renovations.

Considering we recently had the Mideast Infrastructure evaluated and renovated for 9 billion dollars through The Mideast Save the Sinking Ship That Is Our Economy Act, I question the actual need of this. 

I don't think we're in need of another upgrading for quite a while.

The Mideast Save the Sinking Ship That Is Our Economy Act

<snip>

Section II: The Assembly proposes that a number of 9 billion dollars be used in programs designed to extend and repair the region's infrastructure, such as building new roads, bridges, tunnels and railroad, increasing and promoting train activity, and renovate decayed roads.

<snip>

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1886 on: April 19, 2010, 02:33:26 PM »

Based on the recent infrastructure collapse in West Virginia, and the repeated warnings from the GM, I'd say it's more than necessary.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1887 on: April 19, 2010, 04:40:12 PM »

Considering we recently had the Mideast Infrastructure evaluated and renovated for 9 billion dollars through The Mideast Save the Sinking Ship That Is Our Economy Act, I question the actual need of this. 

I don't think we're in need of another upgrading for quite a while.

The Mideast Save the Sinking Ship That Is Our Economy Act

<snip>

Section II: The Assembly proposes that a number of 9 billion dollars be used in programs designed to extend and repair the region's infrastructure, such as building new roads, bridges, tunnels and railroad, increasing and promoting train activity, and renovate decayed roads.

<snip>

That was useful for spurring job growth, but it did not adequately handle the infrastructural needs of the region. It ended up used for mostly shovel-ready projects, such as potholes and highway repairs, while the larger scale projects were not really included.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1888 on: April 19, 2010, 09:49:56 PM »

Due to the cost estimates and low impact of the algae bill...would you all be interested and creating more subsides or tax credits to get these farms started as we move to the first energy independent region in Atlasia?

I'm thinking we can cut ethanol subsides to help pay for the costs? Any other ideas to help pay for creater tax credits for a larger impact on the industry to get this energy industry moving?

If nothing else I think we should invest in technology to be able to harness all the power algae can create which would lower costs if the every day Atlasian can actually fill up a algae ethanol or diseal gas tank in their car
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1889 on: April 19, 2010, 10:47:07 PM »

Due to the cost estimates and low impact of the algae bill...would you all be interested and creating more subsides or tax credits to get these farms started as we move to the first energy independent region in Atlasia?

I'm thinking we can cut ethanol subsides to help pay for the costs? Any other ideas to help pay for creater tax credits for a larger impact on the industry to get this energy industry moving?

If nothing else I think we should invest in technology to be able to harness all the power algae can create which would lower costs if the every day Atlasian can actually fill up a algae ethanol or diseal gas tank in their car

It's not just greater subsidies, but also gradually increasing subsidies. Someone that makes a 500 acre farm shouldn't necessarily get the same subsidy as someone who makes a 1,000 acre farm. Unless you prefer somewhat smaller farms, but that is the Assembly's choice.

The bill can be effective as long as it gets the subsidy right. That's the trickiest part.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1890 on: April 19, 2010, 11:22:14 PM »

It's not just greater subsidies, but also gradually increasing subsidies. Someone that makes a 500 acre farm shouldn't necessarily get the same subsidy as someone who makes a 1,000 acre farm. Unless you prefer somewhat smaller farms, but that is the Assembly's choice.

The bill can be effective as long as it gets the subsidy right. That's the trickiest part.

yeah. I was thinking for of 1,000 per acre credit up to 500 acres? plus research to be able to effectivly use algae which would bring down costs and we would eventaully not to to invest so much in teh industry
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1891 on: April 20, 2010, 07:27:24 PM »

$5k tax credit for 2 acres of algae??

Some citation on the science involved here might help.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1892 on: April 20, 2010, 08:41:51 PM »

Yea I tink at that rate we'd be paying them taxes.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1893 on: April 20, 2010, 08:55:38 PM »

It actually costs about $32,000 for one acre of the stuff just for installation.

Data on this is relatively sparse, but there are some citations for cost around. Check my report for some info and the internet for the rest (ya'll can do your own research Tongue).
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1894 on: April 20, 2010, 09:32:08 PM »

I'm getting algae into our energy talks. Gas prices for the region are on the rise and fossil fuels are going to run out, algae can produce a lot of diseal and ethanol so let's start the research and innovation to use algae to power our region
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1895 on: April 20, 2010, 09:45:28 PM »

I'm getting algae into our energy talks. Gas prices for the region are on the rise and fossil fuels are going to run out, algae can produce a lot of diseal and ethanol so let's start the research and innovation to use algae to power our region

I just don't think thatthis is the best or most cost effective method.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1896 on: April 21, 2010, 11:41:29 AM »

It actually costs about $32,000 for one acre of the stuff just for installation.

Data on this is relatively sparse, but there are some citations for cost around. Check my report for some info and the internet for the rest (ya'll can do your own research Tongue).

Oh I appriciate your report, Mr. GM. I was instead hinting Assemblyman A-Bob may want to provide some documentation re: the energy production potential of algae farms.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1897 on: April 21, 2010, 04:17:26 PM »

Oh I appriciate your report, Mr. GM. I was instead hinting Assemblyman A-Bob may want to provide some documentation re: the energy production potential of algae farms.
Sure
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/biofuel/4213775
http://www.oilgae.com/
and of course, where I also got cost facts
http://www.americanenergyindependence.com/algaefarms.aspx
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1898 on: April 22, 2010, 01:46:32 PM »

Oh I appreciate your report, Mr. GM. I was instead hinting Assemblyman A-Bob may want to provide some documentation re: the energy production potential of algae farms.
Sure
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/biofuel/4213775
http://www.oilgae.com/
and of course, where I also got cost facts
http://www.americanenergyindependence.com/algaefarms.aspx

Interesting. I'd heard about the still underutilized potential of switchgrass for producing ethanol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switchgrass#Bioenergy but possible use of algae is new to me.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1899 on: April 24, 2010, 02:57:36 PM »

Alright - debate has ended for at least 24 hours on this, so the following is now being brought to a vote.  This will be a 48 hour vote:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 ... 137  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies