Mideast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:20:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 137
Author Topic: Mideast Assembly Thread  (Read 252027 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1800 on: March 23, 2010, 10:16:20 PM »

I'll be introducing a bill after Friday, when the new session starts, to fix an error in the election statute (there's an issue with how we break ties in Assembly elections that I noticed - back when we fixed the voting laws after we expanded the Assembly, we overlooked regulations on how we break ties, and stopped tie-breakers at 3 Assemblymen, and it needs to be extended to 5).  I don't feel like rushing it through this Assembly, and I've got a few exams this week, so I'll probably just let us sit here as a lame duck Assembly and essentially take the rest of the week off.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1801 on: March 26, 2010, 01:33:49 PM »

I hereby adjourn the 10th session of the Assembly.  All business of the 10th session is hereby dismissed.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1802 on: March 26, 2010, 04:32:49 PM »

When do we swear in?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1803 on: March 26, 2010, 04:48:10 PM »

I just sent you instructions via pm. Let me know if you have any more questions, and I'll be glad to help. Wink
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1804 on: March 27, 2010, 09:19:10 PM »

OK - I guess I'll just head up the Assembly until we elect a Speaker... the 11th Session of the Assembly is now in session.  Please swear yourselves in.  Nominations for Speaker will now be excepted, and nominations will last for 48 hours.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1805 on: March 27, 2010, 10:30:23 PM »

Technically, Inks, as Dean, I'm supposed to do this, but it all works out in the end.

On that point, I nominate Inks to be the next Speaker.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1806 on: March 27, 2010, 10:32:37 PM »

Technically, Inks, as Dean, I'm supposed to do this, but it all works out in the end.

second that
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1807 on: March 27, 2010, 11:54:36 PM »

Yeah - I was gonna let the Dean do it, but I couldn't remember who that was, but was too lazy to look it up, so figured I'd do it (that, and we really don't have very strict rules of procedure)... anyway, I'll accept the nomination.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1808 on: March 28, 2010, 01:46:42 AM »

I'll be working on an infrastructure bill this week, and I'd like to introduce toll roads and bridges to help pay for the construction projects as well as reduce the deficit in the future.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1809 on: March 28, 2010, 10:03:58 AM »

I'm looking forward to it Inks.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1810 on: March 28, 2010, 12:28:12 PM »

I'll be working on an infrastructure bill this week, and I'd like to introduce toll roads and bridges to help pay for the construction projects as well as reduce the deficit in the future.

how about HOV lanes that must be paid for single person usage
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1811 on: March 29, 2010, 03:07:07 AM »

Sorry for being a bit late, my fellow Assemblymen. The previous session was exhausting Wink

I'm glad to see that our Speaker will keep on presiding our debates.
I welcome our new members, A-Bob and HappyWarrior, who will be fine Assemblymen, Im' sure of it.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1812 on: March 29, 2010, 04:22:15 PM »

Considering the fact that I am one of those who was hit severely hard by the recent forum problems, I am putting the recess in Assembly until Mr. Leip fixes the problem.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1813 on: April 01, 2010, 12:40:19 AM »

I'm a bit tied up with other things right now - if somebody has something they'd like to introduce, now would be an ideal time to do it.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1814 on: April 01, 2010, 09:59:36 AM »

The Return of Rhetoric Bill
Article I: All students grades 9-12 in public schools in the Mideast shall be required to take at least three years of debate and speech classes.
Article II: All schools in the Mideast that currently offer debate and speech classes will receive a 5% tax exemption from the Mideastern Government for the upcoming tax year.
Article III: All schools that cannot afford to have debate and speech classes will receive a subsidy from the Mideastern Government to hire teachers and buy supplies.
Article IV: Those funds will be paid for by reducing the amount the Mideast spends on education vouchers.
Article V: This bill will go into effect with the 2010-2011 school year.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1815 on: April 01, 2010, 06:25:40 PM »

Article I: All students grades 9-12 in public schools in the Mideast shall be required to take at least three years of debate and speech classes.
Article II: All schools in the Mideast that currently offer debate and speech classes will receive a 5% tax exemption from the Mideastern Government for the upcoming tax year.
Article III: All schools that cannot afford to have debate and speech classes will receive a subsidy from the Mideastern Government to hire teachers and buy supplies.
Article IV: Those funds will be paid for by reducing the amount the Mideast spends on education vouchers.
Really, Ben? Roll Eyes
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1816 on: April 01, 2010, 06:28:40 PM »

The skills learned in debate and speech (research, logic, public speaking, etc) are invaluable in the adult world.  Students should learn these skills early, so they can use them in adulthood.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1817 on: April 01, 2010, 06:33:32 PM »

The skills learned in debate and speech (research, logic, public speaking, etc) are invaluable in the adult world.  Students should learn these skills early, so they can use them in adulthood.

but three years in return for denying kids the opportunity to escape failing schools? Maybe a semester or one year I would consider voting for it, but three years. It's not like students don't debate in other classes as well
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1818 on: April 01, 2010, 07:02:24 PM »

I'd support making it a possible elective I think.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1819 on: April 01, 2010, 07:38:16 PM »

A lot of different things could fall under that category. For some kids, though, actually, for many kids, it will be of no use. Students in the Mideast already have quite a few required classes, and heaping another one on top of that, a class that isn't needed nearly as much as Science or Math, would give students less choice on which classes they would like to take.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1820 on: April 01, 2010, 07:45:22 PM »

Following Ben's bill I would like to introduce this bill Smiley

A RESOLUTION CONCERNING
    INVASIVE SPECIES-NEED FOR A STUDY IN THE Mideast Region
  WHEREAS:  For the purpose of conducting research into the dangers of invasive species in the Mideast Region.
  WHEREAS: Invasive or “alien” species have been proven to have an adverse effect in ecosystems in many cases including deaths of native species and damage to the regional economy
 WHEREAS: Species which are at present problems or may become problems include Snakehead Fish, Grass Carp, Nutria, Imported Fire Ants, Japanese Beetles, and various snakes.
BE IT RESOLVED: The Mideast Assembly shall hereby commission a study into the dangers 100 posed by various species which are invasive and alien to the Mideast region.  This study will be to look into which species pose the most danger and what the Mideast Region may do about it.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1821 on: April 01, 2010, 08:49:36 PM »

A RESOLUTION CONCERNING
  WHEREAS:  For the purpose of conducting research into the dangers of invasive species in the Mideast Region.
  WHEREAS: Invasive or “alien” species have been proven to have an adverse effect in ecosystems in many cases including deaths of native species and damage to the regional economy
 WHEREAS: Species which are at present problems or may become problems include Snakehead Fish, Grass Carp, Nutria, Imported Fire Ants, Japanese Beetles, and various snakes.
BE IT RESOLVED: The Mideast Assembly shall hereby commission a study into the dangers 100 posed by various species which are invasive and alien to the Mideast region.  This study will be to look into which species pose the most danger and what the Mideast Region may do about it.

cost for this?
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1822 on: April 02, 2010, 12:50:56 AM »

A RESOLUTION CONCERNING

cost for this?

Likely very low, it is not a huge expenditiure.  Meanwhile some invasive species cost a huge amount of money in terms of lost production.  For instance the Kudzu plant costs $500 million dollars in lost agriculture in the nation anually, this being a rough estimate.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1823 on: April 02, 2010, 02:47:57 AM »

A 5% tax exemption is completely insane, to be honest.
Additional subsidies just for this while knowledge in languages and mathematics are in a very bad shape cannot be accepted.
Diminishing vouchers, which have a wide and principled basis, just for paying for one specific skill cannot be accepted either.

Well, it seems as if I completely disagree on this bill, sorry my fellow Assemblyman Wink
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1824 on: April 02, 2010, 07:34:50 AM »

Wouldn't a reasonable compromise be to require debate and speech be included as an element in already mandatory English classes, as we have it in Sweden, where debate and speech is a part of Swedish class?

I completely agree with you Ben on the virtues of debate and speech, and the knowledge you gain from it, but to make it a recuried subject for three years seems a bit excessive to me.

Also I have to agree with this:   

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 137  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies