Is there any plausible argument in favor of the electoral college? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:05:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Is there any plausible argument in favor of the electoral college? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is there any plausible argument in favor of the electoral college?  (Read 65608 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« on: September 09, 2008, 05:06:34 PM »

What we should do is give ballot access ot any candidate who gets an endorsement from enough Congressmen, like they do in France.

I don't really want to give them that power...
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 07:10:23 AM »

I wish every state had a system like Maine and Nebraska.

I don't. Gerrymandering is bad enough as it is.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 03:09:27 AM »

Can you imagine if this happened? It never would though, since it's nearly impossible.

The red states on that map were won with 50.1% of the vote and the blue states were won with 90% or more of the vote. This would give the winner of the red states a 284-254 win. Take out NJ, NC or GA and you could still get a 269-269 tie and then congress elect the red state winner as President.

Is it just a mere coincidence that all the red states had 13 EV or more and the blue states had less than 13 EV? Tongue

That's the whole purpose, to demonstrate how few states and votes you need in total to win the electoral college vote.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 04:40:55 AM »

Should we create an electoral college for our gubernatorial election in Illinois? I mean, how is it fair that Chicago has more to say than some rural farming county?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 04:58:43 PM »

If distorting reality is a good thing....why don't we make every vote count double! That would double that winner's margin of victory!
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 05:55:52 AM »

If distorting reality is a good thing....why don't we make every vote count double! That would double that winner's margin of victory!

You fail at math.

He actually doesn't.

Percentage-wise, it looks no different, which is the only thing most people see.

I didn't say anything about percentage.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 10:35:16 AM »

What do you mean the problem is the winner take all system in the EC? How would you reform it?

The Maine-Nebraska system is preferable.

No, district voting would create an even greater flaw. Add to that Republican gerrymandering... Proportional representation is the only (partially) democratic option.

I wasn't aware that Republican gerrymandering was the only type of gerrymandering.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 02:35:09 AM »

Al always says this but it's right: The Democratic and Republican parties do not function and are not structured anything like proper political parties are.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies