LMAO Obama Calls Penn State The "Nittaly Lions"!!!!!! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:46:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  LMAO Obama Calls Penn State The "Nittaly Lions"!!!!!! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LMAO Obama Calls Penn State The "Nittaly Lions"!!!!!!  (Read 21031 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« on: September 05, 2008, 08:54:25 PM »

LMAO

LMAO

LMAO

LMAO
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 08:55:58 PM »

The paying membership of the Penn State Alumni Association is 160,742, with maybe about an equal amount not paying.  A number of non affiliated fans.  Probably 2/3 of that live in PA, most are probably registered voters.  Most will make up their minds on other issues, but it could affect a few thousand votes.

You think a few thousand people will change their votes because of this?

Srlsy?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 09:35:51 PM »

Anyone else agree with JJ that slightly mispronouncing part of a local sports team's name will result in "a few thousand" voters switching from Obama to McCain?

To me, that's one of the most ridiculous things I've heard on the forum in weeks.  How many Penn State fans will even be made aware of this mispronunciation?  And what percent of those that know are undecided?  And what percent of undecided voters will make their decision purely based on this statement?

I think we're looking at 5-6 voters, realistically.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 09:52:46 PM »

Anyone else agree with JJ that slightly mispronouncing part of a local sports team's name will result in "a few thousand" voters switching from Obama to McCain?

To me, that's one of the most ridiculous things I've heard on the forum in weeks.  How many Penn State fans will even be made aware of this mispronunciation?  And what percent of those that know are undecided?  And what percent of undecided voters will make their decision purely based on this statement?

I think we're looking at 5-6 voters, realistically.

Dream on.  It reinforces the "Obama is an elitist," "Obama is out of touch," "Obama isn't one of 'us,'" perceptions.  If he'd mispronounced "pizza" or "subliminal," it wouldn't have made a difference.  This does, in the worst place it could.  It's not a lot, and a few thousand votes isn't a lot, but sure didn't help.

What sounds more like a dream?

Option 1: This slight slip of a sports team name will not be common knowledge and only a small fraction of fans will know of it.  Of these, only a slight fraction will be swing voters.  Of these, only a small fraction will vote for McCain when they would have otherwise voted for Obama, completely based on this mispronunciation.  JJ is projecting his own beliefs onto the electorate as a whole.

Option 2: One hundred thousand fans hear of this mispronunciation, half of them are undecided voters, and ten percent of the undecided voters decide to change their vote based on this one incident, completely reinforcing the idea that Obama is an out-of-touch elitist since he doesn't exactly know every sports team's name in the country.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 11:03:26 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2008, 11:06:29 PM by Lunar »

JJ, all of your numbers are absurd.  Half of 500k Penn State alumni will hear of this?  I doubt if half of the total American population can name both vice presidents' first and last names.   No way.   I give up on this thread, peace.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies