LMAO Obama Calls Penn State The "Nittaly Lions"!!!!!!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:14:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  LMAO Obama Calls Penn State The "Nittaly Lions"!!!!!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: LMAO Obama Calls Penn State The "Nittaly Lions"!!!!!!  (Read 20792 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2008, 08:21:37 AM »

Noted that so far, no one has agreed with J.J. except for J.J. himself, approximately 20 times.

Britain I agree with J.J.... What did it say in the late primaries against Hillary that the voters of West Virgina , Kentucky , Puerto Rico and Pennsylvania  knowingly voted for someone that everyone in the media says had not shot at winning..

You know normally when you have a front runner in the primaries the whole party rallies around the front runner , See the percentage of the vote Kerry got in the primary in Pennsylvania in 2004, See the percentage of the vote that Gore got in the primary in Pennsylvania  in 2000

Do you think this event is going to cost him several thousand votes?
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2008, 08:25:55 AM »

Noted that so far, no one has agreed with J.J. except for J.J. himself, approximately 20 times.

Britain I agree with J.J.... What did it say in the late primaries against Hillary that the voters of West Virgina , Kentucky , Puerto Rico and Pennsylvania  knowingly voted for someone that everyone in the media says had not shot at winning..

You know normally when you have a front runner in the primaries the whole party rallies around the front runner , See the percentage of the vote Kerry got in the primary in Pennsylvania in 2004, See the percentage of the vote that Gore got in the primary in Pennsylvania  in 2000

Hmmm  probably not , But if he keeps making gaffes like this it has the potential too. I don't know how many people In PA will even actually see this particular event...
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2008, 08:39:58 AM »

Almost as bad as Kerry ordering a Philly cheese steak with Swiss cheese.

Candidates who make those kinds of mistakes could never win PA.

Haha, yeah. What an elitist.  Wink

The Manny Ortiz thing was the best though especially since this person was supposed to be his favorite player.

That's not that uncommon for people of that age to misspeak, though. My dad's favorite football player is someone he commonly would mistakenly call "Brett Starr", combining his first name with his formerly favorite player's last name.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2008, 08:44:46 AM »

I think there is a good possibility that Obama will lose the white working class vote.

I think Obama may not connect with the white working class.  I think he had some problems in primary with that demographic.  He wouldn't be the first Democrat to have that problem.

It depends on how "working class" is defined, of course, but by most measures no Democrat has won that demographic since Johnson in 1964. So yes, I would agree that Obama probably won't win them overall, either.

I also remain unconvinced he'll do worse with them than the effete elitist windsurfing French speaking flip-flopping most liberal member of the Senate from the most liberal state in the country that we nominated in 2004.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2008, 10:06:58 AM »

I would probably be in the low four digits.  As a percentage it's not gigantic.  The question is, how close will PA be.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2008, 10:49:19 AM »

I note that the bloggers are spreading it, and this one is from Bucks County, a place that Goldenboy has discussed.

So one guy in Bucks County says so. Wow. Definitely a sample of the whole county. I can bring up blogs then that prove McCain is in trouble in Texas.

And BTW, Obama might loose the white working class vote.

Typical J. J. bait and switch. Say something ridiculous, get called out on it, and then change the topic to something incredibly obvious and only remotely related.

That's pretty typical for any topic involving J. J.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2008, 10:57:44 AM »

I note that the bloggers are spreading it, and this one is from Bucks County, a place that Goldenboy has discussed.

So one guy in Bucks County says so. Wow. Definitely a sample of the whole county. I can bring up blogs then that prove McCain is in trouble in Texas.

No, but it is being spread in Bucks County, one of those key suburban Phila Counties, where Bush went up in 2004.  This deals with dissemination.

And BTW, Obama might loose the white working class vote.

Typical J. J. bait and switch. Say something ridiculous, get called out on it, and then change the topic to something incredibly obvious and only remotely related.

[/quote]

I did think, at one point, that Obama might lose the white Democrat working class.  I don't now.  I do think that losing the white working class vote is possible, and that has happened.  I also think that if he does, he's lost the election.

What "bait and switch?"  You are the one that raised the issue.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2008, 11:10:10 AM »

Wait, wait, are you seriously suggesting that Obama might lose TWO THOUSAND VOTES over this??  Are you f***ing kidding me?

What does Nittany even mean anyway?  I've never heard it used outside of Penn State Nittany Lions, so most non-college sports fans probably aren't familiar with the word.
Obama may have mispoke, may not be familiar with Penn State's mascot, or both.  Who cares if any of those are true?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2008, 11:27:39 AM »

Wait, wait, are you seriously suggesting that Obama might lose TWO THOUSAND VOTES over this??  Are you f***ing kidding me?

No, it's in an area where the electorate is very unsure of him.  It reinforces the "he's not one of us" image.  If he'd said a "Penn Stater," or mispronounced "Volvo," it would have had zero effect.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's an Amerindian name, and is the name a mountain and valley in the area.  It is basically a local brand name.

Bluntly, it has the potential of annoying two groups, rabid Penn State fans and locals.  It's a bit like, seriously, referring to the Longhorns as the "Texas Bulls," or the "Longlegs."   
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2008, 04:18:44 PM »

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=FQLTekcur-E

Am  i dreaming Is this really one of two guys who will be president?  I feel like I'm in a episode of the twilight zone...

What a dufus ....................

Do the Nittaly liions play at Lambert field by any chance?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2008, 04:31:37 PM »

This is of roughly the same order of magnitude as Kerry's calling the Green Bay Packers' Lambeau Field "Lambert Field" (like the St. Louis airport) in 2004.

Ha.  I thought of that as well.

Well, if there were physics majors who refuse to vote for a man who talks about nukyular energy, then there are probably Penn State alums who refuse to vote for a Nitaly Lions fans.  (Note the spelling.  I only heard one "t" in his pronunciation as well.)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2008, 07:10:05 PM »

(I'm actually not one, but it probably is a few thousand votes to McCain)

Do people really make that much of ado about little things?

Dave

Yes.  Not because if the gaffe itself, but because it creates the impression that the candidate was pandering for votes by making a reference to something he didn't really know or care about.  However, a one-off verbal miscue that can be attributed to a slip of the tongue ain't going to make that much of an ado,  It would need to be a more extensive or blatant gaffe to create that impression.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2009, 10:25:18 AM »

LOL. J. J. and GoldenBoy at their worst. At least one of them disappeared completely after the election.

I kind of liked how they seemed to think this as a bigger deal than calling Putin the President of Germany. One of those things is actually relevant to the President's job.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2009, 12:49:12 PM »

LOL. J. J. and GoldenBoy at their worst. At least one of them disappeared completely after the election.

I kind of liked how they seemed to think this as a bigger deal than calling Putin the President of Germany. One of those things is actually relevant to the President's job.

Negative news loses votes even if it's meaningless negative news.  Voters are subject to "vibes."
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2009, 01:43:24 PM »

So are you really siding with the uber-hacks here and agreeing that it lost Obama thousands of votes?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2009, 02:12:53 PM »

I know I am waaaay off topic, but...

What happened to the thread about the Pennsylvania counties which Obama won in the primary? I unearthed it yesterday for a bit of nostalgia, as we are about one year away from the Pennsylvania primary, and suddenly this morning I can't find it anywhere.

Did I miss any flame wars last night or Walter was so embarassed that he deleted it?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »

So are you really siding with the uber-hacks here and agreeing that it lost Obama thousands of votes?

No, I'm arguing that your "no one will vote on this so it doesn't matter" argument was just as crappy.  I am sure that it did lose him some votes.  People often vote intuitively, and negative news stories affect their intuitive decisions.  It was the real damage of the Ayres thing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies