ABC Poll: Biden has stronger favorables than Palin & is seen as more experienced
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 11:12:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  ABC Poll: Biden has stronger favorables than Palin & is seen as more experienced
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: ABC Poll: Biden has stronger favorables than Palin & is seen as more experienced  (Read 3386 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 05, 2008, 04:48:30 PM »
« edited: September 07, 2008, 01:43:16 AM by Eraserhead »

I'm not somewhere where I can post a link but I just saw this on Hardball.

UPDATE: Here is the link.

http://abcnews.go.com/PollingUnit/story?id=5725793&page=1
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 04:50:05 PM »

But Sarah is a better shot
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 04:53:55 PM »

Only Scott Rasmussen (R) is allowed to do polls, especially ones with headlines like "29% think Hillary is a bitch!!!! Meanwhile, 65% do not."
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 04:54:53 PM »

More experienced? NO WAY.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 04:59:08 PM »

Only Scott Rasmussen (R) is allowed to do polls, especially ones with headlines like "29% think Hillary is a bitch!!!! Meanwhile, 65% do not."

Glad I am not the only person who thinks that Scott Rasmussen is a right-wing hack.

Join the club! Smiley
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 05:08:48 PM »

I believe the favorability numbers were...

Palin

Favorable 50%
Palin 37%

Biden

Favorable 54%
Unfavorable 30%

Then they asked if they were "experienced enough to serve as President"...

Palin

Yes 42%
No 50%

Biden

Yes 66%
No 21%
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 05:12:45 PM »

I saw the poll this morning.  It's interesting stuff, but major network polls can't be trusted.

With all the resources they have, if I were the President of NBC/CBS/ABC, I'd try to purchase a small, but respectable polling firm with good methodology like Rasmussen or SurveyUSA and put serious money into it during an election year.  Could you imagine the ratings boost an evening news broadcast would get if the CBS-Rasmussen polling division were to release a 50 state weekly tracking poll every Monday?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 05:15:35 PM »

LOL

YOu guys are really, really desperate right now. You have no reason to be, as your guy is still leading. But when you all begin to argue ABC News polls are more accurate than Rasmussen, a proven leader in polling accuracy, something is wrong in liberal-land.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 05:15:56 PM »

TV network polls are awful. Like the Radio-Canada thingee that gave the Tories a 9-point lead in Ontario.
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 05:27:45 PM »

I believe the favorability numbers were...

Palin

Favorable 50%
Palin 37%

Biden

Favorable 54%
Unfavorable 30%

Then they asked if they were "experienced enough to serve as President"...

Palin

Yes 42%
No 50%

Biden

Yes 66%
No 21%

lol

For president, change counts. For VP, experience. And why not the opposite ? the opposite is better. I prefer an experimented president with a young VP.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 05:28:22 PM »

I am not saying Rasmussen accurate or inaccurate.

However, in all seriousness, I think Rasmussen has the tendency to be biased in poll selection and result report wording.

For example, before Palin's speech, when she was faced with a lot of negative press, they did a poll asking whether people thought "the media was trying to hurt her". 51% replied yes. But after Palin's speech, which was praised in the media heavily, Rasmussen did not do the same poll to see if people thought the media were trying to help her.

Furthermore the poll headline reads:
"51% Say Reporters Are Trying To Hurt Palin; 39% Say She Has Better Experience Than Obama"

And within the body of the report the 39% number is again repeated. It is not until after this that we find out that 49% thought Biden had the better experience. So why highlight the 39% over the 49%?

The networks or Gallup do not do this as far as I can tell. Only Rasmussen does. I could mention more examples, but these two are representative.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 05:29:04 PM »

For president, change counts. For VP, experience. And why not the opposite ? the opposite is better. I prefer an experimented president with a young VP.

Actually, if you look historically, the Change/Experience ticket is much more traditional -- believe it or not.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 05:31:48 PM »

However, in all seriousness, I think Rasmussen has the tendency to be biased in poll selection and result report wording.

For example, before Palin's speech, when she was faced with a lot of negative press, they did a poll asking whether people thought "the media was trying to hurt her". 51% replied yes. But after Palin's speech, which was praised in the media heavily, Rasmussen did not do the same poll to see if people thought the media were trying to help her.

"51% Say Reporters Are Trying To Hurt Palin; 39% Say She Has Better Experience Than Obama"

And within the body of the report the 39% number is again repeated. It is not until after this that we find out that 49% thought Biden had the better experience. So why highlight the 39% over the 49%?

The networks or Gallup do not do this as far as I can tell. Only Rasmussen does. I could mention more examples, but these two are representative.

And just look at the writers that Rasmussen features on his website. Virtually are all from the far right.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 05:33:45 PM »

And just look at the writers that Rasmussen features on his website. Virtually are all from the far right.

And one of the non-right wingers, Susan Estrich, is also one of Fox News's non-right wingers.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 05:54:12 PM »

LOL

YOu guys are really, really desperate right now. You have no reason to be, as your guy is still leading. But when you all begin to argue ABC News polls are more accurate than Rasmussen, a proven leader in polling accuracy, something is wrong in liberal-land.

I agree. People are going to see this as another instance of the media beating up on Sweet Sarah Palin. Once again, my side is completely blowing the election by allowing the media to report poll results on Biden's favorability.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 06:00:28 PM »

Am I the only guy who couldn't give less of a **** about favorables and unfavorables?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 08:38:39 PM »

Biden is more experienced than Palin? I thought 36 years in the Senate was far less experience than 2 years as Governor.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 08:40:07 PM »

Rasmussen is a Republican. His polls are great and not biased, but his reporting certainly is.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008, 08:41:39 PM »

The scariest thing is that 39% of voters think Palin has more experience than Biden.
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2008, 09:01:04 PM »

Imagine that "rightwing hack" pollster nailing the 04 election and then the 06 senate races.

I suppose he just makes his numbers up as he goes.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2008, 11:39:50 PM »

LOL

I agree. People are going to see this as another instance of the media beating up on Sweet Sarah Palin. Once again, my side is completely blowing the election by allowing the media to report poll results on Biden's favorability.

Please put "Sweet Sarah Palin" in quotes. Smiley
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2008, 12:09:06 AM »

Imagine that "rightwing hack" pollster nailing the 04 election and then the 06 senate races.

I suppose he just makes his numbers up as he goes.

If someone in this thread was actually saying that, you might have a point. Smiley
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2008, 12:18:29 AM »

Actually, if you look historically, the Change/Experience ticket is much more traditional -- believe it or not.

LIES!!!

except for

Kennedy-Johnson
Reagan-Bush
Lincoln-Johnson

In fact, experience - change has produced some stinkers... Kerry - Edwards and Mondale - Ferraro come to mind.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2008, 12:19:50 AM »

I don't think anyone, even here has seriously contested that Biden probably has a lot more national experience than Palin or would make a better President in January. However, neither is running for President. So this polls only major use is to find that some people might potentially have problems with voting McCain because of his age and Palin's lack of preparedness. Yet all we can do is speculate because pollsters are not asking that specific question, which is really the only impact the VP picks may have.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2008, 03:55:50 AM »

Just to note: In addition to Rasmussen, SurveyUSA has also shown Palin with a considerable favorability edge over Biden.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies