By 2100 how many nations will there be?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 03:06:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  By 2100 how many nations will there be?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: By 2100 how many nations will there be?  (Read 15780 times)
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2004, 08:59:38 PM »

NO PALESTINE!!!

New Countries: Corsica, Basque, Ulster, Wales, Catalonia, Sardinia, Kosovo, Montenegro, Kashmir, Chechnya, Dagestan, Ossetia, Kurdistan, Quebec-Vermnot Confederation, Ontario, West Canada, Nunavut, Newfoundland, New Brunswick, Chiapas, Dalitsan, Punjab, Assam, Tibet, Uyghurstan, Somailiand, Jubaland, Hawaii, Brittany, Alsace-Lorraine...

Non-Existent Countries: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Moldova, Macedonia, Canada...
MarkDel

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2004, 12:07:39 AM »

By the year 2100, there will be ONLY 3 nations remaining due to consolidation based on strategic necessity.

There will be...

1. The American Union (includes the US, all of Central America, North America, South America, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales)

2. The Asian Union (includes China, Russia, Japan, India and the rest of the Asian nations)

3. The Islamic Union (includes the Middle East, Africa and what used to be mainland Europe, which by then will be known as the Northern Province of Islam)

The key "battle fronts" in the nexy century will revolve around the following areas:

1. The British Isles (America vs Islam)
2.  India (Asia vs Islam)

These alliances will be formed over time as the United States and a Russia/Chinese alliance deal with the spread of aggressive Islamic Extremism. Smaller countries will be swallowed up over the decades, finishing with the fall of Europe in the late 21st Century as low birth rates, combined with Islamic immigration doom Europe to a hideous fate. As Islam starts to take over smaller countries in Europe, a French leader will negotiate with the Muslims and claim that he has "peace in our time" only to see his cowardly nation conquered a few years later.

Heck, this is a GREAT novel, perhaps even a movie...
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2004, 12:11:26 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2004, 12:19:03 PM by supersoulty »

By the year 2100, there will be ONLY 3 nations remaining due to consolidation based on strategic necessity.

There will be...

1. The American Union (includes the US, all of Central America, North America, South America, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales)

2. The Asian Union (includes China, Russia, Japan, India and the rest of the Asian nations)

3. The Islamic Union (includes the Middle East, Africa and what used to be mainland Europe, which by then will be known as the Northern Province of Islam)

The key "battle fronts" in the nexy century will revolve around the following areas:

These alliances will be formed over time as the United States and a Russia/Chinese alliance deal with the spread of aggressive Islamic Extremism. Smaller countries will be swallowed up over the decades, finishing with the fall of Europe in the late 21st Century as low birth rates, combined with Islamic immigration doom Europe to a hideous fate. As Islam starts to take over smaller countries in Europe, a French leader will negotiate with the Muslims and claim that he has "peace in our time" only to see his cowardly nation conquered a few years later.

I think that the US and Canada will have merged by then.  Most of Latin America will have merged into a single bloc.

Also, the gradual Muslim conquest of Europe  and Muslim "unity" is a real possibility if we don't act now.  Italy will be the first to go.  Then Spain, then France.  The French will undoubtedly think that they have "secured peace" before this happens, just to find out that they are total fools, once again.

Due to the Islamic conquest of Italy, the Pope will be forced to move to England.  How ironic.

The Germans will leave the EU as concerns about Muslim immigration into Germany start to rise.  By 2050, 30% of the population will be Islamic.  The neo-nazis will take power in Germany, and the second great holocaust will begin.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2004, 12:23:15 PM »

As you can see, my vision for the future of the world is rather grim at this point.  I believe that we are indeed headed for very rough times in the next century.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2004, 12:33:05 PM »

There will be...

It would be great book and/or movie, but I'm surprised that you think the War on Terror will fail so miserably. Not only do we utterly fail in the Middle East, but we allow all of Africa and Europe to fall to terrorism? I'm sorry, but I just can't possibly see this happening. There is no way that 95% of Americans would stand for allowing this to happen. The same goes for 95% of Europeans, as well.

96 years is a long time, and none of us will ever live to find out in all liklihood, but it just seems very unlikely to me. The people of the world won't stand for it.

Supersoulty's prediction is a little more accurate, in my opinion, but I can't see the US and Canada merging anytime soon either. For one thing, I don't think either country wants to join the other.

I don't think things will change that radically in 100 years. To the extent that they do, the long arc of history has been clearly towards democracy and against dictatorship and tyrrany. I don't see this reversing, especially as communications and information exchange between people continues to grow more and more prevalent.

I guess I'm just not as pessimistic as you guys. I am confident that the people of the world, as they steadily become more educated, will continue to reject dictatorship and embrace democracy. We must do all we can to ensure that this trend doesn't reverse itself, but it's been trending that way for thousands of years now. The terrorists are fighting not only us, but history as well. 2000 years of human progress is pretty hard to reverse in 100 years time.

How many countries that were formerly democracies have instead reversed to become dictatorships? It hasn't happened very often, and when it has, it hasn't lasted very long.

Tyranny and opression can only prevail if people have fear and become desperate. The only conceivable way I see MarkDel's prediction playing out is if the world economy was thrown into depression or if there was some sort of massive famine, plague or some such, in which case people would do anything to survive, and might be convinced to give up democracy by charismatic and persuasive leaders.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2004, 04:04:30 PM »

Supersoulty's prediction is a little more accurate, in my opinion, but I can't see the US and Canada merging anytime soon either. For one thing, I don't think either country wants to join the other.

I'm certain that 100 years ago, no one believed that there would ever be anything like the EU.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2004, 05:25:26 PM »

There will be...

It sure is. Swap the Islamic Union for the Soviet Union and it's "1984".
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2004, 09:02:33 PM »

I'm certain that 100 years ago, no one believed that there would ever be anything like the EU.

That's true, but the EU is hardly a truly unified European government.

It could happen, if both the US and Canada find it in their interests. I would favor it personally, assuming that both countries are willing, of course.

I just don't see it being too likely anytime soon. As you say, the trend is actually towards more countries, not fewer.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2004, 09:39:39 PM »

It could happen, if both the US and Canada find it in their interests. I would favor it personally, assuming that both countries are willing, of course.

I just don't see it being too likely anytime soon. As you say, the trend is actually towards more countries, not fewer.

There is far less bitterness to overcome between Canada and the US than between France and Germany.  Also, the nature of the "New World" is much more open to change than the "Old World".  We don't have the same kind of nationalist/traditionalist qualms about these things.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2004, 11:40:29 PM »

There is far less bitterness to overcome between Canada and the US than between France and Germany.  Also, the nature of the "New World" is much more open to change than the "Old World".  We don't have the same kind of nationalist/traditionalist qualms about these things.

Good points. Like I said, I'm all for it. Hopefully it will eventually happen.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2004, 12:38:20 AM »

About what you said earlier, I certainly am hopeful that the March of Freedom will continue forward.  However, in Fundamentalis Islam, we see a religion that is fundamentally opposed to anything Democratic.  The fate of the world now lies in the hands of the Muslims, we can only do so much.  That is a scary thought.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2004, 12:45:05 AM »

About what you said earlier, I certainly am hopeful that the March of Freedom will continue forward.  However, in Fundamentalis Islam, we see a religion that is fundamentally opposed to anything Democratic.  The fate of the world now lies in the hands of the Muslims, we can only do so much.  That is a scary thought.

Agreed. I'm still confident in the ability of all people to become educated when presented with fair and unbiased information.

We still have the power to effect change with Muslims, but we can't expect it to work if we show a blatant disregard for their culture and values in the process. We have to show them a better way, and show them that fundamentalist propaganda is wrong. Only ignorant or fearfully desperate people choose dictatorship and oppression over freedom.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2004, 01:04:00 AM »

Agreed. I'm still confident in the ability of all people to become educated when presented with fair and unbiased information.

We still have the power to effect change with Muslims, but we can't expect it to work if we show a blatant disregard for their culture and values in the process. We have to show them a better way, and show them that fundamentalist propaganda is wrong. Only ignorant or fearfully desperate people choose dictatorship and oppression over freedom.

And I agree with you, but as I said, we must act quickly and decisively.  I'm certain that you are aware, but it is worth saying that not everyone in the world has even nearly the same educational and economic opportunities that we have.  Without them, they are easily co-opted into extremeism.  The rest of the world, at least the rest of the Western-world needs to line up behind us in our effort to bring change to the middle-east and most importantly, the Muslims must desire change.  If factors don't fall in our favor, the senario I presented could become reality, in fact, there is a high chance that it will.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2004, 02:31:08 AM »

Just want to add something. Not that I'm a prophet or religious nut. But the unification of Europe (or new Roman empire) IS in fact mentioned in the Book of Revelations as a marker of the end times.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2004, 08:39:02 PM »

Just want to add something. Not that I'm a prophet or religious nut. But the unification of Europe (or new Roman empire) IS in fact mentioned in the Book of Revelations as a marker of the end times.

Europe is defniately unifying. I am certainly no religious nut (I am not even remotely religious), although I do find the book of revelations to be fascinating.

By the way I think Quebec will be a seperate nation.

Palestine and Israel will have a bloody war and no one will live. US will annex the remains.

Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2004, 11:30:04 PM »

It's open to a lot of possible interpretations. Neither Europe nor the Roman Empire is specfically mentioned that I know of.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2006, 10:48:23 PM »

Faoroe Island, Man, Scotland, Chechnya, Komi, Mari, Udmurtia, Tatarstan, Bashkiria Ossetia, Kalmukya, Tuva, Saha Yunnan, Tibet, East-Turkestan Savoy, Corsica, Provance Oldenburg, Lippe, Krim, Kurdistan, Palestine, Quebec, New Foundland Marianes Achech Punjab, Kerala, Nagaland, Deseret  Basque, Ulster, Kashmir, Wales, Catalonia, Sardinia, Kosovo, Montenegro, Kashmir, Chechnya, Dagestan, Ossetia, Kurdistan, Ontario, West Canada, Nunavut, Newfoundland, New Brunswick, Chiapas, Western Sahara, North Cyprus, Dalitsan, Punjab, Assam, Tibet, Uyghurstan, Bali, Somailiand, Republic of Java and Sumatra, Jubaland, Confederate States of America, Pacifica, Kalimantan, West Jaya, Brittany, Alsace-Lorraine, Darfur, Southern Sudan, Bougainville and New Caledonia.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2006, 10:51:26 PM »

One.  The United Socialist Workers of the World.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2006, 11:57:43 PM »

Socialism is over. ITs done.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2006, 09:39:06 AM »

There will be...

Firstly, I know some Russians who wouldn't be very happy with that alignment.

Oh btw what about us? Are we classified as Asia?

O r are we the quiet ones, left alone (with New Zealand... so alone) while you aggressive SOB's blow each other to kingdom come we'll slowly rise

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha *stokes Persian*
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2006, 12:10:06 PM »

hahhahaha, Supersoulty's prediction is hilarious.

Italy has one of the lowest Muslim populations in Europe. Even if the overblown "Muslim takeover" thing happens, it will definitely NOT be the first one.

Considering how wary Germany is of neo-Nazis, and the fact that they are basically illegal there, they aren't going to elect them to power and have a new Holocaust just because they're not happy about Muslim immigration. Germany doesn't even have that much of a problem with integration or Islamist problems in other Western European problems, probably because their Muslim population is mostly Turkish. There's as much chance of Germany going Nazi again as there is France going monarchist.

Even if the Pope were for some reason forced to leave the Vatican, it sure as hell wouldn't be to a predominately Protestant country. Probably somewhere like Mexico City or Rio. Of course this is also about as likely France becoming monarchist again.

And a US/Canada merger really doesn't make any sense. For starters merging two economies of that size will just be a disaster for both. Plus there are massive problems with integrating the government systems (uh, Canada has a Parliamentary system), and there's other issues over things like taxes and business regulation. There's simply nothing to be gained from it, especially since any advantages of such a merger are already here with the free trade and military alliance.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2006, 12:15:28 PM »

2100 is a bit far away, but the current trend is towards ever more, ever smaller, ever less powerful nations and ever fewer (er...no, probably not that one), ever larger, ever more powerful private corporations, and that'll continue for quite a while.
Increased cooperation between nations, regionally ŕ la EU or worldwide ŕ la UNO, will be the most powerful force against that, but won't mean actual fusing of nations, desirable as that may be.

Nothing much to add.

Oh, yeah, except: Given the massive economic and cultural problems (and political cleavages) created by every country merger these past hundred years or so, I think I'll lay off  the "desirable as that may be" part.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2006, 01:46:31 PM »

Ideally, there would be one. Sadly, we seem to be trending towards adding more than we'll merger at this point. I think we'll see somewhere between a -2 to 2% in/decrease in nations by 2100. Nothing major will happen. Sad
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2006, 05:58:04 PM »

And a US/Canada merger really doesn't make any sense. For starters merging two economies of that size will just be a disaster for both.

Canada's economy is already integrated into the US economy. 85% of Canadian exports, IIRC, go to America which is probably rather close to the percentage of exports that go from one US state to another place inside the country. Plus with NAFTA and continuing economic agreement and cooperation in a continually globalized market US and Canadian economies could coalesce very easily.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I think the Canadians are smart enough to get there heads around a Presidential system of government. They aren't dolts. Also they could continue having parliamentary state governments, just as Nebraska has a unicameral parliament or how Illinois used cumulative voting for its State Congressmen until the 80's. Most current laws within Canada dealing with taxes, public healthcare, and regulation are either set or administered by the provinces so these could easily be continued as differing regulations within the state. A Canadian province turned state could have higher taxes and public healthcare if they wanted to just as some states, like my own, have higher business taxes than others and just like states, such as Florida or Alaska, have no income tax at all since a state is allowed to set its own state tax rates.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2006, 07:00:34 AM »

I don't care.  I'll be dead.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies