Your opinion of Governor Jindal's handling of the storm in LA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 12:01:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Your opinion of Governor Jindal's handling of the storm in LA
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Well?
Excellent

Good

Fair

Poor

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Your opinion of Governor Jindal's handling of the storm in LA  (Read 2899 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2008, 10:53:35 AM »

Of course I have no interest in what happens in Louisana, politically or meteorologically, so I really can't say what Jindal did or did not do.  But I will say it is very easy to do well the second time around, having learned from Bush's mistakes in the first disaster.  It also helped that nothing much happened this time.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2008, 11:06:11 AM »

Of course I have no interest in what happens in Louisana, politically or meteorologically, so I really can't say what Jindal did or did not do.  But I will say it is very easy to do well the second time around, having learned from Bush's mistakes in the first disaster.  It also helped that nothing much happened this time.

Weren't you just arguing a couple of minutes ago that it's a mistake to consider Bush "incompetent"?
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2008, 11:28:26 AM »

A job well done, and I congratulate him.  Blanco clearly WAS a disaster.  So was Bush/Brownie.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2008, 04:16:26 PM »

Poor

He doesn't deserve any credit. If he had been Governor in 2005 he would have done everything the same as Blanco did, and Blanco would be Governor now and would be lauded as a hero. Its real easy to prepare for a storm and "do a good job" when the whole country is watching your every move.

I will say that he's one of the ugliest politicians I've ever seen. There's something wrong with his face, too many sharp angles or something.

I think this storm was blown way out of proportion. They evacuated far more people than necessary, it was only a minor hurricane when it hit. While its great that little damage was done, the next time a big hurricane comes, these people won't be in such a hurry to evacuate because they think it will be a false alarm like this one.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2008, 04:24:52 PM »

Nagin improved dramatically. 
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2008, 07:54:16 PM »

For you Blanco haters, read the Great Deluge. She's really unfairly criticized in this whole affair.

As for Nagin, wouldn't anything he did now be an improvement from hiding on the top floor of a hotel complex just by default?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2008, 07:56:03 PM »

A job well done, and I congratulate him.  Blanco clearly WAS a disaster.  So was Bush/Brownie.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2008, 10:31:41 PM »

Poor

He doesn't deserve any credit. If he had been Governor in 2005 he would have done everything the same as Blanco did, and Blanco would be Governor now and would be lauded as a hero. Its real easy to prepare for a storm and "do a good job" when the whole country is watching your every move.

I will say that he's one of the ugliest politicians I've ever seen. There's something wrong with his face, too many sharp angles or something.

I think this storm was blown way out of proportion. They evacuated far more people than necessary, it was only a minor hurricane when it hit. While its great that little damage was done, the next time a big hurricane comes, these people won't be in such a hurry to evacuate because they think it will be a false alarm like this one.

If you wanted to say Jindal did a good job because he saw the mistakes Blanco made, I can see some people having that opinion. But having the whole country watching your every move doesn't make it easier to do a good job and probably makes it hard since every single move is open to criticism.

You think the storm was blown out of proportion. You thought wrong. Or maybe you weren't thinking. Compared to Katrina, I would gladly take a Gustav. But at one point Gustav looked like it could have been another Katrina. We lucked out. No question about it. It's a real good thing everyone got out because most of the people that stayed behind would have been killed. Also there was no shelter of last resort where the people ended up being stranded with no food for a few days. And while there was no major flooding as there was during Katrina, there is still plenty of damage from the wind. The storm hit nearly the entire state. I thought that maybe the southwestern tip of Louisiana was spared, but even that wasn't and two people were killed by tornadoes. There are also many areas throughout the state still lacking electricity and other services. I have family staying with me since they don't have power back on at their house yet.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2008, 02:05:31 AM »

Excellent.  Much better than Blanco.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »