Should Alaska be given Independence if the majority of the people wish it.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:35:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should Alaska be given Independence if the majority of the people wish it.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Should Alaska be given Independence if the majority of the people wish it.
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Should Alaska be given Independence if the majority of the people wish it.  (Read 8616 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2008, 07:27:34 PM »

Top notch post JS. Really can't follow up on it on the compassion issue because I agree. Ever read the story of Mayres Heights at the Battle of Fredricksburg?

The argument I'd give you about the federal arsenals is that once the south seceded the territory those forts and depots were on became confederate territory and the govt had the right to seize them. I guess it really all depends on your line of thought although I believe the constitution says no where about "federal land" of the magnitude of what we have now. I believe that land the federal govt has is granted by the states (aka the people) and the people (state) upon review can renege on the "lease" so to speak.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2008, 08:02:06 PM »

Top notch post JS. Really can't follow up on it on the compassion issue because I agree. Ever read the story of Mayres Heights at the Battle of Fredricksburg?

The argument I'd give you about the federal arsenals is that once the south seceded the territory those forts and depots were on became confederate territory and the govt had the right to seize them. I guess it really all depends on your line of thought although I believe the constitution says no where about "federal land" of the magnitude of what we have now. I believe that land the federal govt has is granted by the states (aka the people) and the people (state) upon review can renege on the "lease" so to speak.

I'd have to disagree, but I are a Yankee.

As to the Angel of Marye's Heights, I have the painting on my living room wall.  For those who don't know the story SR is referring to...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_of_marye's_heights

Sgt. Kirkland should be regarded as a hero everywhere, north or south.

Ambrose Burnside, on the other hand.... 
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2008, 08:12:08 PM »

Cool. I have the Battle of the Brickyard and the Battle of Devils Dens (original oil paintings) on my wall.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2008, 08:17:31 PM »

I think Britain was wrong to try to deny the US independence when the population supported it. Likewise, I think it would be wrong for Washington to try to deny Alaskan independence if the population supports it.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2008, 08:32:11 PM »

I think Britain was wrong to try to deny the US independence when the population supported it. Likewise, I think it would be wrong for Washington to try to deny Alaskan independence if the population supports it.

But this really isn't the question.
The question is, given that everything else is equal, if a majority of Alaskans wanted independence, should the U.S. afford it to them?

The U.S. declared independence in the face of oppression by the British Crown.  A war ensued, and with the help of France (lest all you France haters forget) we won.

Now if the U.S. were openly oppressing Alaskan citizens, I would agree with their right to secede.  If they just decided they wanted independence for sh**ts and giggles, I'd say no.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2008, 09:20:39 PM »

Unless they have a damn good reason for it, hell no. 
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2008, 09:52:55 PM »

Only if the US has done something heinous against them, like waging military or economic warfare against them.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2008, 10:10:45 PM »
« Edited: September 03, 2008, 10:12:58 PM by Smid »

The question is, given that everything else is equal, if a majority of Alaskans wanted independence, should the U.S. afford it to them?

The U.S. declared independence in the face of oppression by the British Crown.  A war ensued, and with the help of France (lest all you France haters forget) we won.

Now if the U.S. were openly oppressing Alaskan citizens, I would agree with their right to secede.  If they just decided they wanted independence for sh**ts and giggles, I'd say no.

If a majority of Alaskans wanted independence and the US didn't give it to them, then that would amount to oppression and overturning their democratic rights.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2008, 10:32:57 PM »

I knew this would be a Nomo topic just looking at it in the board index. Is that skill?
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2008, 10:44:37 PM »

The AIP's point (I believe) is that the people of Alaska never got the chance to decide whether they wanted to become a state or not (like the people of Puerto Rico now get from time to time).  Letting aside, for now, the issue of independence, is that a valid concern?  Should US territories have the right to choose whether they wish to become a state or not through a democratic vote?  And, more to the point, I suppose, what was the historical practice for accession of territories?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2008, 10:56:16 PM »

No.  If the United States wanted to grant independence to its trust territories and to its colonies (like it did with the Pacific Islands, the Phillipines, etc), that's one thing.  But once that territory becomes a state, part of the that indivisible Union with freedom and justice for all, it can never leave.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2008, 04:21:59 AM »

I think the Civil War answered this question realistically.

Even more realistically, note that throughout the world, it is the regions with the most economic resources that want to secede (Nigerian Delta region with a lot of oil, Chechnya, etc).  That is because these regions give more money to the national government than they take back from it.  National governments absolutely do not want to see these areas leave, thus no chance.

As to the answer to this thread's question, it depends on the reason.  My answer is "No" if 51% simply vote for independence without context.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2008, 11:15:59 AM »

If a majority of Alaskans wanted independence and the US didn't give it to them, then that would amount to oppression and overturning their democratic rights.

Are they taxed without representation?

Are federal troops quartered on private property by force?

Are citizen demonstrations violently broken up?

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2008, 12:38:18 PM »

Yes.

The same way I believe that should over 50% of my country vote for independence in a referendum we should be granted it.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2008, 01:44:58 PM »

I think the Civil War answered this question realistically.

If I came into your home, held your family hostage at gunpoint and that situation stayed the same for a while would I have moral authority? Would an amount of time lend credibility to the argument that holding hostages is moral or right? In other words, does might equal right?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2008, 02:56:46 PM »

States, what is the difference between the US forts in the CSA and US forts in, say, Germany?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2008, 06:39:55 PM »

States, what is the difference between the US forts in the CSA and US forts in, say, Germany?

Not much in my opinion. We are there at the hospitality of Germany not by our own force.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2008, 06:53:21 PM »

Not much in my opinion. We are there at the hospitality of Germany not by our own force.

So, if Germany opened fire on a US fort in Berlin, that would be enough to declare war?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2008, 06:57:53 PM »

So, if Germany opened fire on a US fort in Berlin, that would be enough to declare war?

The situation isn't quite the same. The US and Germany weren't under a mutual constitution.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2008, 07:01:20 PM »

The situation isn't quite the same. The US and Germany weren't under a mutual constitution.

State's, do you hold that the war itself was a valid war?  Because the way I see it, the US had every right to declare war on the CSA, because they attacked a US fort.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2008, 08:02:21 PM »

Read my earlier post on my opinion on Federal territory and the state of how it exists.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2008, 09:33:00 PM »

I fully support giving Alaska independence if the majority of Alaskans desire it. It should be allowed to leave the United States any time it wishes to. Why withhold freedom from them? (It would be nice if Alaska remained on friendly terms with us, though.)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2008, 12:26:31 AM »

Absolutely not. The US paid good money to the Russians for Alaska. It turned out to be a good investment, as Alaska has a lot of natural resources. The federal gov't still owns most of the land up there. You can't just leave the US.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2008, 12:32:59 AM »

Absolutely not. The US paid good money to the Russians for Alaska. It turned out to be a good investment, as Alaska has a lot of natural resources. The federal gov't still owns most of the land up there. You can't just leave the US.

Yeah but your side won't let us use those resources.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2008, 12:45:07 AM »

Yeah but your side won't let us use those resources.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Alaska_pipeline
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies