The Palin Controversies Keep Coming
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 07:39:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  The Palin Controversies Keep Coming
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: The Palin Controversies Keep Coming  (Read 5142 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2008, 08:54:37 PM »

Interesting.  What's the rationale, presuming there is one, other then her being a joke?

For my mother, it's essentially resentment at what she's accomplished and her "attitude" about taking on the "old boys," that she thinks she's hot sh**t at such a young age (my mother is in her mid-60s). It's not dissimilar to what Hillary Clinton put up with, and it's even more unfair in this case, obviously. She also finds Palin to be an alien because she comes from the West and has all those other cultural markers that don't resonate at all in the New York area, which I need hardly spell out. This is what absolutely killed Bush there in 2000, among other things.

Women can be very, very harsh about other women, and that's what we're seeing in this limited little community. How much it applies to others, I don't know. I really, really want to talk to my sister now; she is a social liberal who usually votes Democratic but can vote Republican. Supported Hillary in the primaries, not sold on Obama. Strongly pro-choice, etc. so no chance she'd actually support Palin, but like her, she has tried to balance running a large family, keeping fit and active, and engaging in some kind of career at approximately the same age. I would like to get her take on it. I'm afraid I might not get a clear read. Like Palin, she's a good enough politician to think she should tell me what she thinks I want to hear.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2008, 08:59:36 PM »

Calls to mind H.L. Mencken's definition of misogynist: "A man who hates women as much as women hate one another."
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2008, 09:01:34 PM »

To explain past votes of my Mother:

'96: repulsed by Clinton's immorality, couldn't vote for him. (My parents are divorced)
'00: health care and prescription drugs
'04: "kept us safe," pro-Israel, and Teresa really didn't help

You could call her a social conservative in the sense that she's still shocked and disappointed by a lot of things we take for granted and thinks things were much better in the old days when couples stayed together, people went to temple (or church), and the grandparents lived across the street. She's quite mainstream in that she doesn't like abortion and doesn't identify with feminists, but has also never identified with movement conservatives and hated Phyllis Schlafely in the 1970s. Probably would have been uncomfortable about the gay thing, and was with me for a long time, until she realized she loved the same things gay men do (antiques, etc.) and had a great time with me and so flipped and became very positive. 

I love her to death which is why I'm rambling on about her here, but if this serves some purpose, it shows how many crazy and unpredictable voters there are out there.
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2008, 09:02:46 PM »

You know what would be funny? If Bristol Palin's babydaddy is a black guy.   

LOL
Justin
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2008, 09:04:21 PM »

On the note of the AIP. I don't think this matters for a really important note. In 1990, Walter Hickel  and Jack Coghill was elected governor and Lt. Gov of the state under the AIP ticket. It seems in the 1990's, they were NOT a fringe party but rather party that voiced the concerns of Alaskans who felt shafted by both parties. I don't see this as an issue period. People joined the AIP because they wanted to look for an alternative party that would be essentially pro-alaksan and pro-political bickerong and corruption.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2008, 09:05:59 PM »

LOL

We already know who the father is. Levi Johnson, a 17 year old Hockey Player. Palin confirmed it earlier today.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2008/09/palin-daughters-babydaddy-some-dude-named-levi-reports-enqui.php

Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2008, 09:07:01 PM »

LOL

Should this guy be allowed to post here? Now that is something worth debating.
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: 2.43

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2008, 09:07:01 PM »

I'll let her go on 3. ...but I don't buy the explainations for 4.  Things look a little weird for 1 and 2, as well.
Care to elaborate?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2008, 09:07:19 PM »

Your mother sounds like a certain type of person I know about up here.
Justin
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2008, 09:07:24 PM »

I'll let her go on 3. ...but I don't buy the explainations for 4.  Things look a little weird for 1 and 2, as well.
Can you care to explain why a lot Alaskans elected two AIP members under the AIP ticket to the executive mansion in 1990 or shall we pretend that never happend?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2008, 09:07:35 PM »

LOL

Damn straight.
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2008, 09:08:19 PM »

We already know who the father is. Levi Johnson, a 17 year old Hockey Player. Palin confirmed it earlier today.

Wow.  What a dweeb.
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2008, 09:09:02 PM »

LOL

Should you move out of your mother's basement and get a job?  Now that is something worth debating.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2008, 09:09:56 PM »

According to his myspace he doesn't want kids.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2008, 09:10:33 PM »

LOL

Should you move out of your mother's basement and get a job?  Now that is something worth debating.

lolololol

Too funny.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2008, 09:11:07 PM »

Can you care to explain why a lot Alaskans elected two AIP members under the AIP ticket to the executive mansion in 1990 or shall we pretend that never happend?

...but is that right for the rest of America?

#1- Her behavior seems to warrant a closer look into this. I mean, she has some pretty radical views on a plethora of issues and left the Catholic church to be a Pentacostal. That doesn't mean I am being intolerant, it does mean that perhaps the Catholic church made her really uncomfortable.

#2- So attending Pat Buchanan's POLITICAL meetings and being called a brigadier of his and still not considered being in association with Buchanan mean that Obama's non-political relationship with Wright still counts?  
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2008, 09:11:18 PM »

I did laugh at this, but OMG does no normal human being deserve to have this kind of scrutiny.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2008, 09:12:10 PM »

I did laugh at this, but OMG does no normal human being deserve to have this kind of scrutiny.

Irony....
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2008, 09:13:47 PM »

I would be more sympathetic to his mistake if the mistake hadn't basically resulted in him being engaged to the daughter of a potential Vice President. I can't imagine Sarah Palin being as conciliatory towards him if the world wasn't watching.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2008, 09:14:17 PM »

Irony....

Yeah, it's crazy. You wouldn't think that dating a governor's daughter would be such a big deal in a state like Alaska, and then *boom* your engagement is national news and random geeks and gays are discussing your MySpace page.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2008, 09:17:46 PM »

Irony....

Yeah, it's crazy. You wouldn't think that dating a governor's daughter would be such a big deal in a state like Alaska, and then *boom* your engagement is national news and random geeks and gays are discussing your MySpace page.

To be fair I never actually viewed. I just went with what was posted in the comments to the story.
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: 2.43

« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2008, 09:19:11 PM »

The AIP isn't really that extreme.

#1- Her behavior seems to warrant a closer look into this. I mean, she has some pretty radical views on a plethora of issues and left the Catholic church to be a Pentacostal. That doesn't mean I am being intolerant, it does mean that perhaps the Catholic church made her really uncomfortable.
I think you're reading too much into this. Pawlenty left the Catholic Church as well, but that doesn't mean he's a religious right nutjob.

#2- So attending Pat Buchanan's POLITICAL meetings and being called a brigadier of his and still not considered being in association with Buchanan mean that Obama's non-political relationship with Wright still counts? 
No, she attended one fundraiser for Buchanan, and didn't even donate anything. Buchanan called her a brigadier, but he was unable to prove she actually backd him, and knowing Buchanan, he's probably trying to smear her.

Obama knew Wright for 20 years and shared important events in his life with him. Palin went to a Buchanan fundraiser to increase her connections to Alaska politicians once, but never actually supported him. Hardly comparable.
Justin
United States

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2008, 09:22:35 PM »
« Edited: September 01, 2008, 09:25:54 PM by Justin »

So you are saying, that it's wrong for Alaskans to support a party that seemed to be able to put thier interests first rather than political bickering of both the Alaskan GOP and the Dems. The AIP in power did no damage to the Alaskan political scene and at the end the day simply faded into the night as thier purpose was surved as a warning to both parties to stop thier shenanigans. The AIP itself, let's not forget, was HIJACKED by nationalistic (here nationalistic is in regards to pro-Union) leadership that used the AIP as base for getting real reforms. William Hickel himself disagreed with the AIP platform regarding a secession referendum. Many peple simply used the party as a political tool to get a job done. That's why I don't see the AIP problem as a big deal.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Well as a Roman Catholic, if she left that's fine, she can say that. I pray for her immortal soul as the next person. But if you are going to turn this into an accusation of anti-catholicism, I would warn you about going down this road.

I never said anything about Wright at all. I have been on a 4 year hiatus from this board. So don't go around throwing things about that you have no clue about what I thought. I as a Huckabee supporter agreed with Huckabee's stance on the Wright issue. I gave Obama the benefit of the doubt on reverend Wright, the same ought to go to Gov. Palin.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2008, 09:28:05 PM »

So you are saying, that it's wrong for Alaskans to support a party that seemed to be able to put thier interests first rather than political bickering of both the Alaskan GOP and the Dems. The AIP in power did no damage to the Alaskan political scene and at the end the day simply faded into the night as thier purpose was surved as a warning to both parties to stop thier shenanigans. The AIP itself, let's not forget, was HIJACKED by nationalistic (here nationalistic is in regards to pro-Union) leadership that used the AIP as base for getting real reforms. William Hickel himself disagreed with the AIP platform regarding a secession referendum. Many peple simply used the party as a political tool to get a job done. That's why I don't see the AIP problem as a big deal.

Well as a Roman Catholic, if she left that's fine, she can say that. I pray for her immortal soul as the next person. But if you are going to turn this into an accusation of anti-catholicism, I would warn you about going down this road.

I never said anything about Wright at all. I have been on a 4 year hiatus from this board. So don't go around throwing things about that you have no clue about what I thought. I as a Huckabee supporter agreed with Huckabee's stance on the Wright issue. I gave Obama the benefit of the doubt on reverend Wright, the same ought to go to Gov. Palin.

#2-  I don't see how that refutes my arguement, seeing how there are others that link Obama to Wright.

#1- I'm not talking anti-catholicism, I'm talking about the Conservative Catholic church not being conservative enough for her.

AIP issue- you would be C-NH if your party stated that it should use infants as aircraft fuel? 
Justin
United States

« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2008, 09:38:38 PM »

#2-  I don't see how that refutes my arguement, seeing how there are others that link Obama to Wright.
I'm not letting you get away with this. This amounts to a Tu quoque fallacy and you know it. You also made the isinuation that I supported the lambasting of Obama over the Wright-Phleger controversy.

You have heard of the Reformation, right? You know that guy Martin Luther who left the church over reasons of theology... You may have heard of it or him...

But using infants as aircraft fuel is an objectively and intrinsically evil act. I would have a moral obligation not to support that party because of that stance. Just as I am not a Democrat for that reason. However there are matters that are not intrinsically or extrinsically immoral (to use Aristotelian terms here) that are open up to legitimate debate and support. Asking for a referendum on secession may not be prudent but it is neither extrinsically evil nor intrinsically evil. Also the AIP in the 1990's softened its stance on adherence to the party's platform as changed into a reform-type party.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies