What if Obama had an umarried, pregnant, teenage daughter?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 03:45:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  What if Obama had an umarried, pregnant, teenage daughter?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What if Obama had an umarried, pregnant, teenage daughter?  (Read 2093 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 01, 2008, 07:38:55 PM »

Here's a serious question.  Everyone knows that Sean Hannity and partisans on this forum would be attacking him for it.  Partisans do what partisans do, something I myself am guilty of some of the time.

However, all of the "omfg hypocrites" discussion aside, how would Obama be treated differently?  I know Obama's daughters are younger and I know presidential candidates are held to a higher level of scrutiny than vice presidenteial ones, so we're going to have to equalize some of those things for this hypothetical.

Hoping for a reasonable discussion.

Stole the question from:
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/09/just-askin.html
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 07:43:01 PM »

Well, Lunar, Obama is the product of a black man getting a young white girl pregnant, then leaving her to raise Obama alone......

That's pretty stereotypical and I hear no one trashing him or his family.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 07:44:24 PM »

Forget about it. The race would have ended today.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 07:46:07 PM »

Well, Lunar, Obama is the product of a black man getting a young white girl pregnant, then leaving her to raise Obama alone......

That's pretty stereotypical and I hear no one trashing him or his family.

That is clearly not his fault.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 07:47:01 PM »

The only problem would be his "punished by a child" comment, which with 20/20 hindsight was exceedingly stupid.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 07:48:46 PM »

No doubt hacks like Hannity and O'Reilly would be attacking Obama, however that doesn't give us the right to trash Palin. We're, all of us, better then them.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 07:52:26 PM »

No doubt hacks like Hannity and O'Reilly would be attacking Obama, however that doesn't give us the right to trash Palin. We're, all of us, better then them.

By all of us, you mean everybody except you, right?  Wink

The only thing that has bothered me about this whole issue is listening to the McCain camp and other conservatives go on and on about how this is a "private family matter" when it has been very clear that Republicans have no problem legislating your bedroom according to their moral ideals.

Sure, it SHOULD be a private matter.  SHOULD.  But it's not.  It's a presidential election and she is the VP nominee.  We're going to hear about this a lot.  And I think the campaign should address it head on and then move on.  I think it's better to have 2 nights of relatively intense coverage during a hurricane than a slow drip throughout the campaign.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 07:56:10 PM »

Ann Durham was three months pregnant when she got married.  It's in Wiki, IIRC.  Nobody trashed them for it (well their parents did, not the media).  It was 1961.  Obviously, Obama himself didn't have any say in the matter.  Nobody trash them.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 07:58:22 PM »

Ann Durham was three months pregnant when she got married.  It's in Wiki, IIRC.  Nobody trashed them for it (well their parents did, not the media).  It was 1961.  Obviously, Obama himself didn't have any say in the matter.  Nobody trash them.

That's because there was no political blood in the matter. You're right, it was 1961.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 07:59:52 PM »

I'd call her a whore just like I did to Bristol (semi-jokingly), but commend her for keeping the child an say that it's not Obama's fault, and my thoughts and prayers would go out to the family, the teen, and the child.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 08:00:40 PM »

We've already had one or two posters here refer to Michelle Obama as his "ghetto wife".  FWIW.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 08:01:18 PM »

I'd call her a whore just like I did to Bristol (semi-jokingly), but commend her for keeping the child an say that it's not Obama's fault, and my thoughts and prayers would go out to the family, the teen, and the child.

Only semi-jokingly?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 08:02:15 PM »

We've already had one or two posters here refer to Michelle Obama as his "ghetto wife".  FWIW.

I think people like Vander Blubb went considerably farther than that.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 08:03:13 PM »

Only semi-jokingly?

Oh, it was definitely partly serious when I called Bristol a whore.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 08:04:41 PM »

He'd get killed by hacks, but I would hope most good people would him and his family with respect, just like we should treat the Palin family with respect.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 12:08:35 AM »

I think he'd be forced to drop out too.

I mean, there's all kinds of hypocrisy everywhere in the race.  It's not like McCain could lecture black fathers on not doing a good enough job in America.  Obama could get away with forgetting something obvious while McCain might be accused of having a "senior moment."

I just find it sort of profound that it's not [rightly] a big deal for Palin.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 01:09:13 AM »

The only thing that has bothered me about this whole issue is listening to the McCain camp and other conservatives go on and on about how this is a "private family matter" when it has been very clear that Republicans have no problem legislating your bedroom according to their moral ideals.

^ This.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 01:27:39 AM »

The only one I remember was "ghetto booty."  I suggested Googling "badunkadunk" to explain it.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 01:42:21 AM »

^ This.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 02:01:34 AM »

^ This.

Morons come in flocks, apparently.
Nutmeg
thepolitic

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2008, 02:03:00 AM »

^ This.

Says the guy with the Confederate flag.  Speaking of morons.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2008, 02:03:49 AM »

^ This.

Oh wow, you're very special!
Nutmeg
thepolitic

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2008, 02:05:41 AM »

^ This.

No, there are many of us who do not support such anti-American ideals.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2008, 02:07:15 AM »

^ This.

Yeah, as we see this large government theory has worked in a spectacular manner!
Nutmeg
thepolitic

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2008, 02:10:03 AM »

^ This.
Yeah, as we see this large government theory has worked in a spectacular manner!

I guess this is a thread hijack, but I for one am indignant that this large government has taken away my slaves!  If only we had split into two countries.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies