Who won the white male vote in 1960?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:46:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Who won the white male vote in 1960?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Who won the white male vote in 1960?  (Read 9639 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2008, 12:54:04 PM »

I've seen some studies done in Boston of how different ethnic groups voted and, IIRC, the swing with blacks was lower than average (but then the swing around there was really, really quite violent). Ages seen I've seen it though, so maybe my memory is wrong.

What swing? 1956 to 1960? I believe the black vote swung more than the nation as a whole from 1952 to 1956, fwiw.

But was there no gender gap back then? I always assumed that the gender gap was pretty eternal (I've always imagined men as more right-winged than women in a general sense). That is interesting.

Women voted to the right of men in Germany - by quite noticeable margins - until the 1960s or so. Possibly 70s.
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: 2.43

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2008, 09:36:49 PM »

I've seen some studies done in Boston of how different ethnic groups voted and, IIRC, the swing with blacks was lower than average (but then the swing around there was really, really quite violent). Ages seen I've seen it though, so maybe my memory is wrong.

What swing? 1956 to 1960? I believe the black vote swung more than the nation as a whole from 1952 to 1956, fwiw.

But was there no gender gap back then? I always assumed that the gender gap was pretty eternal (I've always imagined men as more right-winged than women in a general sense). That is interesting.

Women voted to the right of men in Germany - by quite noticeable margins - until the 1960s or so. Possibly 70s.
In many parts of Latin America (particularly in Chile) women still vote to the right of men.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2008, 10:57:17 PM »

While I realize that a lot of people like to guess, here's data from Gallup for 1960:

Group                    Kennedy          Nixon

Men                            52                 48
Women                       49                 51

White                         41                 59
Non-white                  61                 39

Oh, and the Non-White vote varied drastically by state.  There's some good data in the book, The Ethnic Factor.

I can't believe those racial figures. If they are correct the "non-white" voters would have to have made up almost 50 percent of the electorate.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2008, 12:35:09 AM »

While I realize that a lot of people like to guess, here's data from Gallup for 1960:

Group                    Kennedy          Nixon

Men                            52                 48
Women                       49                 51

White                         41                 59
Non-white                  61                 39

Oh, and the Non-White vote varied drastically by state.  There's some good data in the book, The Ethnic Factor.

I can't believe those racial figures. If they are correct the "non-white" voters would have to have made up almost 50 percent of the electorate.

I agree. I think Kennedy won like 45% of the White vote not 41%
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies