The Institute of VP leaks, tips, and speculation (GOP edition)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:23:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  The Institute of VP leaks, tips, and speculation (GOP edition)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15
Author Topic: The Institute of VP leaks, tips, and speculation (GOP edition)  (Read 54174 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2008, 10:58:39 AM »

In terms of EV's, she adds nothing.  Nationally, her lack of a Y chromosome may help.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2008, 10:59:18 AM »

Umm.....note what I posted just a few posts ago:

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 11:03:45 AM »

A blatant pander to a Pro Choice woman, no less. The base will be oh so very pleased.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 11:11:47 AM »

Sorry, Mr. Morden.  Sometimes I just don't read far enough back.  I should have known you'd nail it before anyone.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2008, 11:13:05 AM »

A blatant pander to a Pro Choice woman, no less. The base will be oh so very pleased.

A 7% approval record from NARAL?  I've looked at her votes.  She's not as anti-choice as Tom Coburn, but she's pretty far to the right.  Look at her voting record.  Now, she might not favor overturning Roe (I don't know) and she does support stem cell (like McCain, Orin Hatch and Gordon Smith) but on all the other abortion issues, she's just plain dreamy to the theocons.

They'll be fine with her.  Moreso than with Ridge.  MUCH moreso than with Lieberman.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2008, 11:15:40 AM »

A 7% approval record from NARAL?  I've looked at her votes.  She's not as anti-choice as Tom Coburn, but she's pretty far to the right.  Look at her voting record.  Now, she might not favor overturning Roe (I don't know) and she does support stem cell (like McCain, Orin Hatch and Gordon Smith) but on all the other abortion issues, she's just plain dreamy to the theocons.

They'll be fine with her.  Moreso than with Ridge.  MUCH moreso than with Lieberman.

I'll be honest - I never really looked at her voting record on this issue. I've always heard that she is Pro Choice though.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2008, 11:52:55 AM »

Announced Friday noon.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2008, 11:56:20 AM »

Huh?  We already know that.  See this post for example:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=81522.msg1687455#msg1687455

However, as that story implies, it sounds like McCain's running mate will actually appear with him at that rally in Dayton, which means there's a good chance the name will leak out tomorrow, as we see who's making plans to travel to Dayton.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2008, 11:58:39 AM »

However, as that story implies, it sounds like McCain's running mate will actually appear with him at that rally in Dayton, which means there's a good chance the name will leak out tomorrow, as we see who's making plans to travel to Dayton.

And upstage the Obama speech?  Perish the thought.  Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2008, 12:08:41 PM »

I had this totally weird implausible idea yesterday...

McCain - Paul.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2008, 12:14:46 PM »

I don't think that qualifies as an "idea."
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2008, 01:15:36 PM »

And upstage the Obama speech?  Perish the thought.  Smiley

An announcement of McCain's running mate will not upstage the acceptance speech of the first African American nominated by a major party. It would just be a footnote.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2008, 01:29:31 PM »

I had this totally weird implausible idea yesterday...

McCain - Paul.
Believe me, the GOP certainly is too liberal for that
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2008, 01:33:44 PM »

From RCP:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/veep_watch/2008/08/chatter_over_cantor.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

From Bob Novak:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/08/avoiding_a_lieberman_disaster.html

YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2008, 01:47:53 PM »

An announcement of McCain's running mate will not upstage the acceptance speech of the first African American nominated by a major party. It would just be a footnote.

yeah right, I'm sure the reason why people are tuning in is because he is black.

It will be a historic moment and would garner more attention, like it or not.

McCain picking an unknown two year Governor from Alaska would not upstage Obama.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2008, 01:49:38 PM »

The nation would collectively say Sarah Pawho?  And move on to Obama's speech.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2008, 01:50:10 PM »

I'll be honest - I never really looked at her voting record on this issue. I've always heard that she is Pro Choice though.

Best as I can recall, she is pro-choice only because she says she's pro-choice.  She otherwise votes pro-life with the rest of 'em.

I'm not sure I understand why folks are so eager to slap pretty much anyone on the McCain ticket simply because they have a vagina.  I mean, Marsha Blackburn, really?  Kay Hutchison?  Meg Whitman?

I thought the GOP was supposed to be against affirmative action hires.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2008, 01:51:52 PM »

If McCain's running mate will indeed appear with him on Friday, then there is every possibility that the name will leak out by Thursday night, whether McCain likes it or not.  I mean, by that time, you're going to have to have more than a few people in the know as to who it is, just because of the travel arrangements.

And I don't think the name leaking out would be such a bad thing for McCain because of the news getting "buried" by Obama's speech.  The media is going to have to spend some time talking about McCain's running mate once the name is out there.  There's no way around it.  They can't just say "Oh yeah, in other news, McCain's running mate will be Tim Pawlenty.  Now, back to discussion of Obama's big speech tonight."  They'll have to spend at least a little time talking about the McCain running mate news that would have otherwise gone to discussion of Obama.  So the McCain running mate news gets a little play on Thursday night, and then more play on Friday when they appear together, and the Obama speech is over.  It's not such a bad idea.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2008, 01:56:26 PM »

If McCain's running mate will indeed appear with him on Friday, then there is every possibility that the name will leak out by Thursday night, whether McCain likes it or not.  I mean, by that time, you're going to have to have more than a few people in the know as to who it is, just because of the travel arrangements.

And I don't think the name leaking out would be such a bad thing for McCain because of the news getting "buried" by Obama's speech.  The media is going to have to spend some time talking about McCain's running mate once the name is out there.  There's no way around it.  They can't just say "Oh yeah, in other news, McCain's running mate will be Tim Pawlenty.  Now, back to discussion of Obama's big speech tonight."  They'll have to spend at least a little time talking about the McCain running mate news that would have otherwise gone to discussion of Obama.  So the McCain running mate news gets a little play on Thursday night, and then more play on Friday when they appear together, and the Obama speech is over.  It's not such a bad idea.

To most people in the news business, actual news (i.e., a McCain VP leak) typically trumps campaign speeches no matter how big or important they are.  (And on that same note, I would guess there was more interest in last night's Clinton speech than in the Obama address coming up at Invesco, so far as political drama and newsworthiness goes.)

Obama got absolutely no bounce over the Biden announcement, so it's not as if McCain has a whole heck of a lot to lose—it might actually be an interesting strategy play to draw focus away from the biggest free advertising event for Democrats of the cycle.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2008, 02:04:39 PM »

Liebermanworld pushes back hard on Novak report

http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/0808/Liebermanworld_pushes_back_HARD_on_Novak_report.html

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2008, 02:07:50 PM »

Politico says that Hutchison "has not been asked for any documentation of the sort typically handed over for vetting, according to a source in a position to know."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/0808/About_that_KBH_for_veep_buzz.html?showall
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2008, 02:35:56 PM »

Rice is being vetted.  Just reported.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2008, 02:37:29 PM »

Now, that's a great pick... for our side. Please, nothing would work better for us than picking a top level official, a SoS for a matter of fact, to help us link Bush and McCain.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2008, 02:39:38 PM »

Rice would be a good candidate. . .if Bush were popular.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2008, 02:39:44 PM »

Source?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies