I may find out if Pawlenty is the running mate today...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:48:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  I may find out if Pawlenty is the running mate today...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: I may find out if Pawlenty is the running mate today...  (Read 26107 times)
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2008, 11:02:48 PM »

By the way, the local news just showed an interview with Pawlenty. He's looking like the running mate...  Wink

I'll cry if he gets obliterated after the VP deabtes.

Not really, but I'll be upset.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2008, 11:04:10 PM »

By the way, the local news just showed an interview with Pawlenty. He's looking like the running mate...  Wink

I'm sure many people cried when Quayle got "obliterated" against Bentsen.

I'm sure they cried again on Election night, too. Tears of joy, that is. If Bush could survive Quayle, McCain can survive Pawlenty. Enough already.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2008, 11:08:01 PM »

I'm sure many people cried when Quayle got "obliterated" against Bentsen.

I'm sure they cried again on Election night, too. Tears of joy, that is. If Bush could survive Quayle, McCain can survive Pawlenty. Enough already.

Too bad that this year we aren't coming off of an extremely popular Republican president, who won by landslide proportions.

Bush was a shoo in.  McCain isn't.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2008, 11:09:25 PM »

He looks like a sure loss.  I don't care how nice he is.  McCain has invested way too much into hammering Obama for inexperience to then turn to someone who has none.  It would be suicide to do that now.

Pawlenty has no experience? Ok, right...

Roll Eyes

Not nearly enough to avoid backlash against McCain if he is picked.

Two things changed Phil:

McCain has hammered Obama far more for his inexperience than even I figured he would by this point of the campaign... and hammered is the word.

Obama went out and picked someone who make Methuselah look freshfaced and naive.  Don't get me wrong, I think picking Biden was a huge blunder, but we can't open ourselves to a counter attack in any way over experience and McCain has invested way too much in that angle.  If Obama had picked Kaine, then different story, but the Biden VP means we need to pick someone experienced.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2008, 11:13:02 PM »

Too bad that this year we aren't coming off of an extremely popular Republican president, who won by landslide proportions.

The GOP wasn't as popular in 1988 as people like to believe. Neither was Reagan.

And how is Ridge much better? They had the same amount of time as Governor. Ridge does have the advantage of serving in the House during the 1980s and early 1990s but is that really going to make a difference?

Using Ridge's time as head of Homeland Security as proof of "good experience" is a huge risk. He wasn't seen as a great director and is mainly remembered by the public as a joke with a color chart.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2008, 11:17:41 PM »

The GOP wasn't as popular in 1988 as people like to believe. Neither was Reagan.

I know that.  Don't forget Dukakis was an atrocious candidate, who was easily perceived as a typical liberal Democrat.  Frankly, the ticket may have had a chance if Bentsen was at the top of the ticket.

I disagree that Reagan was unpopular, but please correct me if I'm twisting your words.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2008, 11:36:34 PM »

Insiders I spoke with two weeks ago gave me that impression, too. They seemed to like Pawlenty, and think that he would mesh well with the campaign. Of course that was before the selection of Biden. What remains to be seen is whether McCain's campaign feels the need to match Biden in some specific way with their pick.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2008, 11:38:25 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2008, 11:40:15 PM by Supersoulty »

And how is Ridge much better? They had the same amount of time as Governor. Ridge does have the advantage of serving in the House during the 1980s and early 1990s but is that really going to make a difference?

Using Ridge's time as head of Homeland Security as proof of "good experience" is a huge risk. He wasn't seen as a great director and is mainly remembered by the public as a joke with a color chart.

Let's run a comparison of these two men.

Ridge was both an excellent student and a local start of high school athletics.  Tim Pawlenty never made it past JV on his high school hockey team.

Ridge worked his way through Harvard and then Dickinson Law.  Pawlenty took both his degrees from the University of Minnesota (not bad, but not Ridge).

Ridge is a decorated Vietnam Veteran... Pawlenty has been C-in-C of the Minnesota National Gaurd, and that's it... closest he has been to battle was on his JV hockey team.

Ridge spent six terms in congress, and that's not just votes, its committees, work, etc... I would say that's a decent deal more valuable than Pawlenty's couple of terms in the Minnesota House.

Ridge is remembered as  a hugely successful governor who won reelection in a landslide... did Pawlenty even break 50% in his last election? 

Pennsylvania is generally considered a state with more gravitas than Minnesota.   

As for SHS... well, you can't really fault Ridge either... he served well for the job he had... and the fact remains that, although there were attempts, there were no successful attacks while Ridge was SHS.

Ridge is (quite marginally) pro-choice, but he is defiantly a practicing Catholic... Tim Pawlenty, raised Catholic, and left... that's bound to anger more people than it attracts.

Now, let's compare photos:

Ridge says to me, strong, able, with a little bit of swagger and humor.

Pawlenty says nice guy, but he kinda reminds you of that wimpy guidance councilor who seems overly enthusiastic and is always trying to be "your buddy".
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2008, 11:39:29 PM »

NEED A BIGGER PICTURE!!!!!!
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2008, 11:41:21 PM »

Did you see the 300th pore to the lower left of his nose? My god!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2008, 11:47:44 PM »

Ridge was both an excellent student and a local start of high school athletics.  Tim Pawlenty never made it past JV on his high school hockey team.

Wow.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ok.

Uh...so because Pawlenty didn't serve in Vietnam, we can mock him?

I acknowledged that.

Pawlenty ran against an apparently very popular statewide elected official who was supposed to beat Pawlenty in a terrible GOP year. Ridge ran against...Ivan Itkin. Really terrible comparisons here, my friend. Terrible.

LOL  

Oh darn! Roll Eyes

Uh...wow.

Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2008, 11:57:37 PM »

Wow.

Ok.

Uh...so because Pawlenty didn't serve in Vietnam, we can mock him?

I acknowledged that.

Pawlenty ran against an apparently very popular statewide elected official who was supposed to beat Pawlenty in a terrible GOP year. Ridge ran against...Ivan Itkin. Really terrible comparisons here, my friend. Terrible.

LOL 

Oh darn! Roll Eyes

Uh...wow.

Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.

The "mocking" is to make a point that, even were Pawlenty to obtain as much experience as Ridge in government, he would still look kinda weak by comparison.

And if you think that there aren't people who will be put off by the fact that Pawlenty left the Church, then you are nuts... "Oh look, the Democrats have a real Catholic on their ticket, why weren't we good enough for Pawlenty?"

The reason Ridge's opponent was so weak is because the Democrats knew they would get crushed no matter who ran, so they didn't bother to try to front a heavy weight (and 98 was a bad Republican year, too).

I'm not being a dick, Phil, I'm being realistic.  I'm sure Pawlenty is a great guy, but I want to run with the best VP pick possible, and while that might not be Ridge, Ridge is a way better all around off of a shallow comparison, which is the best that most VP candidates get.

Ridge brings is PA, and helps in Ohio, Minnesota is out of out column regardless.  Elsewhere, Ridge does far less damage to the ticket than Pawlenty does.  Bottom line.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2008, 12:00:59 AM »

And if you think that there aren't people who will be put off by the fact that Pawlenty left the Church, then you are nuts... "Oh look, the Democrats have a real Catholic on their ticket, why weren't we good enough for Pawlenty?"

"The Democrats have a real Catholic on their ticket."

Wow. I'll stop there.

Yay! Ridge won in a landslide in a more Republican state than Minnesota! Congrats!  Roll Eyes

By the way, 1998 was not a bad year compared to 2006.

Wrong.

Right, a Pro Choice candidate is less damaging than a guy who isn't as much of an accomplished athlete than Ridge when he was in high school!  Roll Eyes
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2008, 12:18:19 AM »

This argument will become about 10x more entertaining if McCain doesn't pick either Ridge or Pawlenty in a week.

But for now, I agree with Phil.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2008, 12:20:51 AM »

"The Democrats have a real Catholic on their ticket."

Wow. I'll stop there.

Yay! Ridge won in a landslide in a more Republican state than Minnesota! Congrats!  Roll Eyes

By the way, 1998 was not a bad year compared to 2006.

Wrong.

Right, a Pro Choice candidate is less damaging than a guy who isn't as much of an accomplished athlete than Ridge when he was in high school!  Roll Eyes

1) Phil, you are being extremely naive if you don't think there will be Catholics, especially older ones, who see it that way.  When a guy starts out a Methodist and goes Baptist, who cares.  Works a bit differently for us.

2) I think they key fact is that the Democrats kept all their good people out of the race, knowing utter defeat was inevitable.  They didn't even bother.  Ridge didn't even start campaigning until October, and he didn't have to do anything at all.  He's probably the most popular politician this state has had in the last century.  98 wasn't a horrible year, no, but it was an anti-Republican year.

3) You seem to be the only person in PA who doesn't think he brings in PA.

4) Remember how Rush Limbaugh would never support John McCain?  The only people making a big fuss will be the conservative talk show hosts, and they'll get over it quick.  The thing people will remember most is the chatter of the talking heads after the grand introduction.  Ridge provides them an hour loop of material, at least... material about Vietnam, popular PA governor, SHS, a little personal backround, five minutes on abortion, and that's it.  At the end they will know that Ridge is a bit unorthodox, but he is a free thinker, a war hero, and a good, committed public servant with a real record.

Pawlenty's real couldn't fill up half that space, and that's when people will start thinking, if someone doesn't bring it up, which they will, that Pawlenty has about as much expirience as Obama, and if McCian is railing about Obama's lack thereof, then that is devestating to the campaign.  And the same thing will happen if he picks Romney, Jindal, Palin, etc, etc, etc.

The game has changed.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2008, 12:25:21 AM »

And after people here about his inexperience, that's when groups like Catholic Answers take to the street and tell everyone on their mailing list that Pawlenty has renounced the Catholic Church, which is all the little ladies at the Rosary and Alter Societies will talk about.  And that's when McCain loses the Catholic vote, and PA, Ohio, Michigan and Florida with it.

Almost half of Catholic voters support some abortion rights... hardly any support renunciation of the faith.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2008, 12:27:09 AM »

1) Phil, you are being extremely naive if you don't think there will be Catholics, especially older ones, who see it that way.  When a guy starts out a Methodist and goes Baptist, who cares.  Works a bit differently for us.

Ok but you're being extremely naive if you think that that will have a major impact.

But, again, it doesn't compare to Minnesota in 2006.

Uh...only person in PA? Ok so now you and J.J. count for all of PA? Dude, you're seriously losing it.

We don't need any more problems, Super. And enough with this BS about Ridge being someone with a "real record."

And after people here about his inexperience, that's when groups like Catholic Answers take to the street and tell everyone on their mailing list that Pawlenty has renounced the Catholic Church, which is all the little ladies at the Rosary and Alter Societies will talk about.  And that's when McCain loses the Catholic vote, and PA, Ohio, Michigan and Florida with it.

Almost half of Catholic voters support some abortion rights... hardly any support renunciation of the faith.

It's called conversion, Super. They'll get over it if they're that committed to the issues that social conservatives care about.
jeron
Netherlands
Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -7.48

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2008, 12:42:44 AM »

How old were you in 1988? Two? Or weren't you even born?
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2008, 12:44:04 AM »

Oh yea, history books don't exist. That's right.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2008, 12:46:02 AM »

Were you alive in the 1860s? If not, how do you know that Abraham Lincoln was hated in the south?

You definitely just produced the worst argument of this thread. Congrats.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2008, 12:47:27 AM »

Phil, if you get the answer directly out of him, I'll buy you a car (sometime when I have money, like 20 years in the future).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2008, 12:53:37 AM »

I disagree that Reagan was unpopular, but please correct me if I'm twisting your words.

He wasn't as popular towards the end of his time in office.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2008, 12:54:59 AM »

Ok but you're being extremely naive if you think that that will have a major impact.

But, again, it doesn't compare to Minnesota in 2006.

Uh...only person in PA? Ok so now you and J.J. count for all of PA? Dude, you're seriously losing it.

We don't need any more problems, Super. And enough with this BS about Ridge being someone with a "real record."

It's called conversion, Super. They'll get over it if they're that committed to the issues that social conservatives care about.

1)  Phil, one of the reasons I really respect your opinion is because, unlike alot of people on here, you actually know something about ground level politics.  And so you have to know that there will be people who either stay home, or vote for Obama on election day, because of this.  It's just like "Obama's a Muslim"... "Pawlenty renounced Catholicism"... some people here that once, and they don't want to hear the rest.  Now we might have a manifest heretic in the White House.  Not voting for that guy.  Even if 40,000 people do that in each of the 4 states I named, then the game is up.  Meanwhile, no one is going to vote for us because Pawlenty skipped Catechism to bang the cheerleader.

2)  Ridge got 58% of the vote with the 3rd Party candidate stealing votes from him.  Pawlenty got 44% of the vote with the 3rd Party candidate stealing votes from the other guy.  Ridges margin of victory was 26%.  Pawlenty's was >1%.

3)  Phil, you know better.  I know people in the real world who are well connected in state politics.  They are all of the same opinion as myself, to varying degrees and I know what I know, because I know it... I'm not guessing.  Even were that not the case, JJ knows what he is talking about.

4)  Pawlenty is all risk.  Sure, he might keep the Religious Right happier, but he doesn't bring anything.  If the Religious right abandons us for Ridge, which I don't think they will, then at least Ridge opens other doors and allows us to run a campaign more appealing to moderates, and it doesn't make us risk our trump card, either.  Ridge has risk, but brings in reward.  eitherway, I don't think that the doomsday scenario pans out with Ridge.

5) Issues only comprise half the story, and most people only really care about one, maybe a couple.  The other half is personalities, which is probably out best chance at winning this thing.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2008, 12:58:33 AM »

You've made the point well that if we were casting the Vice President in a movie, Ridge would beat Pawlenty.

Don't cite Ridge's experience asa  Congressman.  He was an awful Congressman.

For the nuclear freeze and against aid to Contras?  I'm sorry, that doesn't do it for me.

If he delivers PA I'll be happy, but I can't say I'd be excioted about Tom Ridge as Vice President or heir apparent.

And Pawlenty, while I'm sure he's a nice guy, is no prize.  He's a big government guy.  And speaking of guys who might not deliver their own state...
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2008, 01:02:37 AM »

You've made the point well that if we were casting the Vice President in a movie, Ridge would beat Pawlenty.

Don't cite Ridge's experience asa  Congressman.  He was an awful Congressman.

For the nuclear freeze and against aid to Contras?  I'm sorry, that doesn't do it for me.

If he delivers PA I'll be happy, but I can't say I'd be excioted about Tom Ridge as Vice President or heir apparent.

And Pawlenty, while I'm sure he's a nice guy, is no prize.  He's a big government guy.  And speaking of guys who might not deliver their own state...

What is wrong with the nuclear freeze?  Even Reagan was for it... though not the way it was attempted.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies