Joseph Robinette Biden, Jr. - The "OFFICIAL" Thread - complaints + wohoos
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:29:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Joseph Robinette Biden, Jr. - The "OFFICIAL" Thread - complaints + wohoos
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: Joseph Robinette Biden, Jr. - The "OFFICIAL" Thread - complaints + wohoos  (Read 13722 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: August 23, 2008, 11:41:49 PM »

biden is obviously going to swing the pa.

working class roots!

we wont mention he is the little bitch for mbna.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #126 on: August 23, 2008, 11:44:50 PM »

There would be a certain personal vote for Biden in PA (northeast PA in particular).  There would be a certain person vote for Romney in MI.

I highly doubt it is any more than 0.5% maximum statewide however.  Thinking any more is going to occur is bordering on the edge of ridiculousness.

FYI, Ridge can deliver PA though. I know this because J.J. tells me so.

Well, Ridge was Governor there - Biden was born there and lived there, what, 10 years in his childhood.  That is a pretty large difference.

Ridge could swing PA (with an emphasis on the could), but I think his other attributes could hurt more in other places - and as Torie said, I just don't think he has it.

What evidence is there that he could swing PA or that people there even still care about him?

Listen, I don't think Ridge will swing the state. I don't think people care much about him anymore. McCain has to win this on his own. He might not "swing" the state but at the very least, he cancels out this nonsense about Biden having serious sway here.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #127 on: August 23, 2008, 11:46:51 PM »

There would be a certain personal vote for Biden in PA (northeast PA in particular).  There would be a certain person vote for Romney in MI.

I highly doubt it is any more than 0.5% maximum statewide however.  Thinking any more is going to occur is bordering on the edge of ridiculousness.

Well, Ridge was Governor there - Biden was born there and lived there, what, 10 years in his childhood.  That is a pretty large difference.

Ridge could swing PA (with an emphasis on the could), but I think his other attributes could hurt more in other places - and as Torie said, I just don't think he has it.

What evidence is there that he could swing PA or that people there even still care about him?

Uh...  Bob Casey.  Old states simply have more attachment to their former politicians.

Anyway, typically when VPs are named, I swing their home state, specifically the state they've represented politically, about 2.5% generically towards their party.  Whether that's more or less in this situation is hard to tell - henceforth the *could*.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #128 on: August 24, 2008, 12:09:48 AM »

Uh...  Bob Casey.  Old states simply have more attachment to their former politicians.

Anyway, typically when VPs are named, I swing their home state, specifically the state they've represented politically, about 2.5% generically towards their party.  Whether that's more or less in this situation is hard to tell - henceforth the *could*.

Caey's election to the Senate had a lot more to do with who he ran against than who's son he was.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #129 on: August 24, 2008, 12:11:10 AM »

Listen, I don't think Ridge will swing the state. I don't think people care much about him anymore. McCain has to win this on his own. He might not "swing" the state but at the very least, he cancels out this nonsense about Biden having serious sway here.

It sounds like were essentially in agreement then.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #130 on: August 24, 2008, 12:16:44 AM »

Casey's election to the Senate had a lot more to do with who he ran against than who's son he was.

Think again. No other Democrat could have gotten Casey's numbers in the central and western (and the insane numbers out of the northeast) parts of the state. You can argue that Santorum would have lost but he'd at least get to 45% against anyone else.

War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #131 on: August 24, 2008, 12:21:50 AM »

I like Biden more than most Senators and he is one of my favorites but I have a bad feeling about him being Veep. He certainly will be powerful on the attack and is a formidable debater but he could become too costly.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #132 on: August 24, 2008, 01:10:32 AM »

I like Biden more than most Senators and he is one of my favorites but I have a bad feeling about him being Veep. He certainly will be powerful on the attack and is a formidable debater but he could become too costly.

The Obama campaign should be able to contain the gaffe machine by making sure he sticks to written speeches and the VP debate only and try to shield him from conversations with reporters/supporters.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #133 on: August 24, 2008, 01:48:50 AM »

Ridge is a western PA guy.  Doesn't count as much.  Geographically and population-wise, Biden has pull where it really counts- the East.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #134 on: August 24, 2008, 01:52:14 AM »

Ridge is a western PA guy.  Doesn't count as much.  Geographically and population-wise, Biden has pull where it really counts- the East.

Here we go - the good old "The west doesn't matter!" argument. Yeah, stick with that. Give us western PA. Write it off.

Roll Eyes

Oh and the area where Biden will have any real difference (the SE) is supposed to be pretty strong for Obama anyway. If you really think NE PA is going to turn out in droves for a guy who spent his early childhood in their region...wow...
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #135 on: August 24, 2008, 09:31:51 AM »

Uh...  Bob Casey.  Old states simply have more attachment to their former politicians.

I think some politicians engender more warm feelings and positive memories than others do. They aren't all created equal... I would say that Bill Weld's children would have more luck running in Massachusetts than Jane Swift's would, for example.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #136 on: August 24, 2008, 09:36:40 AM »

Uh...  Bob Casey.  Old states simply have more attachment to their former politicians.

I think some politicians engender more warm feelings and positive memories than others do. They aren't all created equal... I would say that Bill Weld's children would have more luck running in Massachusetts than Jane Swift's would, for example.

Of course - I'm certainly not saying that Ridge engenders the same feelings.  But he was quite popular, as memory serves me - which kind of differs from Jane Swift especially.

Whatever, we can argue about this.  I'd be shocked if McCain picked him anyway.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #137 on: August 24, 2008, 11:08:04 AM »

Actually, Ridge won the greatest re-election victory of any Republican governor, with being opposed by an extreme pro life third party candidate.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #138 on: August 24, 2008, 02:16:21 PM »

I think Biden is overall a good choice for several reasons -- his experience, the foreign policy gravitas, good debate skills and willingness to be an attack dog.  When he was a rising star in the 1980s, Biden was considered by many to potentially be the Obama of his time.  It didn't pan out that way but I still see flashes of that potential.  However, his selection does not boost our chances of winning in the way Hillary Clinton would have and is a let-down on a symbolic level.  Before the Biden pick I was somewhat nervous about Obama's chances of winning.  I am still somewhat nervous.  But Biden is a solid choice, a smart, accomplished guy and a good Democrat.  Some other selections would have sent me into a panic *cough* Tim Kaine *cough*.
perdedor

« Reply #139 on: August 24, 2008, 02:56:26 PM »

I like Biden. He's the "angry, white guy from Delaware" element that Obama needs to shore up the more cautious voters. I like straight shooters and the ticket has one in Biden.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #140 on: August 24, 2008, 02:58:09 PM »

I love Joe Biden, if it was Biden v. McCain I'd probably vote for Biden.  However, Biden's straight shooting and every day Americanism (slight accent to walk into a 7/11 etc., etc.) is what makes him a bad pick for Obama.  Plus, he doesn't exactly scream change at all.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #141 on: August 24, 2008, 02:59:10 PM »

I like Biden. He's the "angry, white guy from Delaware" element
...the from Delaware part being especially important?
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #142 on: August 24, 2008, 03:01:48 PM »

Well, at least he will serve as a reminder to Americans that oft-forgotten Delaware does, in fact, exist.
perdedor

« Reply #143 on: August 24, 2008, 03:06:12 PM »

Delaware being a boring, small, middle class state full of middle class people...yes. If he were from Massachusetts or something, he would just look like an elitist dick (not to say that's fair, but that's the American populace for you).
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #144 on: August 24, 2008, 03:07:05 PM »

Yes, because Delaware was a slave state.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies