CNN confirms that Biden is Obama's choice for running mate (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:07:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  CNN confirms that Biden is Obama's choice for running mate (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CNN confirms that Biden is Obama's choice for running mate  (Read 9361 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: August 23, 2008, 12:02:14 AM »

Sweet. I always said that Biden would be Obama's best choice. It would seem that Obama agrees.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 03:24:41 AM »

And there is no math that gives Obama a win without PA and Ohio.

Ridge probably brings in the most EV's of any person on either shortlist.

I guess that this isn't a win then:

I find it to be reasonable. Ridge will have absolutely zero effect in CO, NV, NM, IA, or VA. I figure Obama has at least a 50/50 shot at each of those states anyway.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 03:34:17 AM »

....if Ridge guaranteed both Pennsylvania and Ohio, which he most certainly would not.

Of course. Ridge would have as much of an effect on Ohio as Jerry Brown would on Nevada. He's not the governor in Ohio after all.

I find it to be reasonable. Ridge will have absolutely zero effect in CO, NV, NM, IA, or VA. I figure Obama has at least a 50/50 shot at each of those states anyway.

That scenario is pretty unlikely. And Ridge shores up VA and IA because of the working class vote.  As I said, Ridge screams "not unfriendly to workers".  What Biden screams might not be fit for TV.

Ridge appeals to a lot of ex-Hillary voters.

Too bad for McCain that Ridge is not at the top of the ticket & as such, him appealing to the working class & women is totally meaningless. 99.9% of voters could not care less about who the running mates are when they vote. McCain is the one who would be president; not Ridge.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 03:45:09 AM »

....if Ridge guaranteed both Pennsylvania and Ohio, which he most certainly would not.

Of course. Ridge would have as much of an effect on Ohio as Jerry Brown would on Nevada. He's not the governor in Ohio after all.

That scenario is pretty unlikely. And Ridge shores up VA and IA because of the working class vote.  As I said, Ridge screams "not unfriendly to workers".  What Biden screams might not be fit for TV.

Ridge appeals to a lot of ex-Hillary voters.

Too bad for McCain that Ridge is not at the top of the ticket & as such, him appealing to the working class & women is totally meaningless. 99.9% of voters could not care less about who the running mates are when they vote. McCain is the one who would be president; not Ridge.

First off, I was unaware that San Fransisco and Las Vegas were in the same socio-political region... or even anywhere close to one another.

Second, as I said before, picking Ridge helps set the tone of the campaign in ways that go beyond his immediate impact on the ticket.

Now you do. Tongue

Anyway, McCain can set the tone of his campaign independent of Ridge. My point remains that Ridge himself would have almost no effect on any of the five states I have flipping. Vice-presidents never do unless they bring something huge to the ticket, like Cheney bringing experience.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 03:55:50 AM »

Now you do. Tongue

Anyway, McCain can set the tone of his campaign independent of Ridge. My point remains that Ridge himself would have almost no effect on any of the five states I have flipping. Vice-presidents never do unless they bring something huge to the ticket, like Cheney bringing experience.

Picking Ridge puts PA in McCain's pocket.  Signed, sealed, delivered.

Picking Ridge highlights the GOP's effort to reach out to the working class, because, in terms of backgrounds you don't get any more working class than Ridge.

Ridge is a decorated Vietnam Veteran, which increases McCain's strength there.

McCain can effortlessly highlight experience by picking Ridge, whereas Obama fumbled, ineloquently, and practically strained to admit, with his VP choice, that he has none.  This increases the contrast.

Ridge doesn't outshine McCain in any significant category... except height.  Which is good for a VP pick.

Ridge is a good personality match for McCain, and will blend in well with the tempo of the campaign.  Just watch the Obama camp try to get Barack and Biden to match or blend.

Finally, if Saddleback didn't convince social conservatives, then nothing ever will.  The negative reaction against Ridge is coming from the pundants and not voters.  Granted, they turn some heads, but this will all look relatively minor by October.

If Ridge gets enough stump/debate practice, there won't be an fumbling.  He'll be fine.

Ridge has a military background & lots of experience. Those merely accentuate McCain's strong points, so I don't see that as being too great a boon. Working class credentials help cover a weak point, though considering that that's something more issue-based & less nebulous than experience, I doubt he'll be such an asset that he'll immediately guarantee the election.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that Ridge is McCain's best option. I, however, don't think that McCain is guaranteed victory if he picks Ridge.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 04:08:57 AM »

Because lets face it... McCain is a one termer.

I agree. If he ran for & won re-election he would be 80 when he left the White House.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies