CNN confirms that Biden is Obama's choice for running mate (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:37:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  CNN confirms that Biden is Obama's choice for running mate (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CNN confirms that Biden is Obama's choice for running mate  (Read 9357 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« on: August 23, 2008, 09:42:14 AM »

Ridge is easily McCain's smartest pick.  Who will the religious conservatives vote for?  Not Obama-Biden.  Plus, though Ridge is pro-choice, he's not the most hardcore supporter of abortion rights in the GOP.  And if George H.W. Bush could suddenly "get religion" on the issue in 1980, Ridge can, too. 

Ridge is popular in Pennsylvania, well-liked by both Republicans AND Democrats.  His ties to the Bush administration are certainly not a plus -- BUT -- his getting out of that nuthouse when he did could easily be sold to the electorate as a plus.  I know my admiration for anyone who has left the Bush administration has gone up. 

Now, does he help in Ohio?  Well, he doesn't win the state for McCain, that's for sure.  But so what?  It's not so much that he helps in a given state, it's that he doesn't frighten or worry liberal Republicans, Independents and conservative Democrats...all of whom could swing one way or the other.  To that extent, you bet he helps in Ohio.

I simply don't see a down side to Tom Ridge.  And I hope McCain chooses someone else!
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 11:23:27 AM »

Ridge is easily McCain's smartest pick.  Who will the religious conservatives vote for?  Not Obama-Biden.  Plus, though Ridge is pro-choice, he's not the most hardcore supporter of abortion rights in the GOP.  And if George H.W. Bush could suddenly "get religion" on the issue in 1980, Ridge can, too. 

Ridge is popular in Pennsylvania, well-liked by both Republicans AND Democrats.  His ties to the Bush administration are certainly not a plus -- BUT -- his getting out of that nuthouse when he did could easily be sold to the electorate as a plus.  I know my admiration for anyone who has left the Bush administration has gone up. 

Now, does he help in Ohio?  Well, he doesn't win the state for McCain, that's for sure.  But so what?  It's not so much that he helps in a given state, it's that he doesn't frighten or worry liberal Republicans, Independents and conservative Democrats...all of whom could swing one way or the other.  To that extent, you bet he helps in Ohio.

I simply don't see a down side to Tom Ridge.  And I hope McCain chooses someone else!

Its not that the Ridge pick will send social conservatives to Obama... He will send them home on election day... and Reps up and down the ticket will suffer. Especially in the South... A Ridge pick hurts Dole and Wicker the most.

Social conservatives won't stay home whatever Ridge does.  Even if he doesn't flip on abortion rights.  
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 05:29:18 PM »

Social conservatives won't stay home whatever Ridge does.  Even if he doesn't flip on abortion rights. 

I think that this is correct.  Ridge further is nuanced on abortion, as is the American electorate. 

On Ohio, it's exposure in those eastern media markets, Youngstown, Akron, and to a lesser extent, Cleveland.  Now, Ridge alone cannot carry Ohio, but he can increase the vote totals, kind of like, "McCain and the guy you know."

Yep.  Right on the mark, as usual, JJ.

I'll be voting for Obama-Biden.  But I have to say, a McCain-Ridge ticket would be a lot more appealing to me than a lot of others.  Ridge is a great guy.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies