CNN confirms that Biden is Obama's choice for running mate (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:41:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  CNN confirms that Biden is Obama's choice for running mate (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CNN confirms that Biden is Obama's choice for running mate  (Read 9271 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: August 23, 2008, 01:45:11 AM »
« edited: August 23, 2008, 01:47:24 AM by J. J. »

A relatively bad choice, in that there better candidates (politically).  Overall, as VP nominees go, a middling choice. 

The timing, a Saturday at 12:45 AM, is hideously bad.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 02:04:04 AM »

The best running mate to combat Biden is Ridge... on many levels.

IMO, if Ridge is the VP Nominee, this election is over.  Obama can never get the electoral vote combination needed to win.  Romney on the ticket would be close to that as well, but Obama's odds would go up.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 02:56:28 AM »

IMO, if Ridge is the VP Nominee, this election is over.  Obama can never get the electoral vote combination needed to win.  Romney on the ticket would be close to that as well, but Obama's odds would go up.

There is NO way that Obama can win against a McCain/Ridge ticket? Really?  I never realized that vice presidents could guarantee an election in August.

Ridge can.  He is hugely popular in PA and he can attract women, especially older women.  He is moderate on abortion, while still anti abortion.  He truly was raised working class and is a decorated veteran of Viet Nam.  When in congress, he represented Erie and down the boarder to outside of Pittsburgh,  He can influence a far chunk of OH as well.  He plays well everyplace and plays strongly in eastern OH and all of PA, excepting the Phila ghettos; he won re-election with the highest GOP vote in the fistory of the state.  He helps with 41 EV's.  He completely neutralizes Biden.

I say McCain/Ridge is facing Obama/Biden, Obama/Biden is facing the perfect political storm, and cannot win. 

You will note that I have never said Obama cannot win before.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 03:03:58 AM »

Here is the map:

Obama/Biden versus McCain/Ridge
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 03:06:54 AM »

There is NO way that Obama can win against a McCain/Ridge ticket? Really?  I never realized that vice presidents could guarantee an election in August.

Ridge can.  He is hugely popular in PA and he can attract women, especially older women.  He is moderate on abortion, while still anti abortion.  He truly was raised working class and is a decorated veteran of Viet Nam.  When in congress, he represented Erie and down the boarder to outside of Pittsburgh,  He can influence a far chunk of OH as well.  He plays well everyplace and plays strongly in eastern OH and all of PA, excepting the Phila ghettos; he won re-election with the highest GOP vote in the fistory of the state.  He helps with 41 EV's.  He completely neutralizes Biden.

I say McCain/Ridge is facing Obama/Biden, Obama/Biden is facing the perfect political storm, and cannot win. 

You will note that I have never said Obama cannot win before.

I feel validated by knowing that my opinions are similar to those of a genuine political professional.  Now if someone would just give me a job.  Smiley

I have not been a professional for years, but I did predict PA correctly in 7 of the last eight times.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 03:12:30 AM »

Here is the map:

Obama/Biden versus McCain/Ridge

I think Obama/Biden can still win Biden's birth state.

He will, Hawaii.  However, both Bushes,  and Kerry didn't, and VP candidates Edwards, Bentson, Ferarro, Kemp did not win theirs.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 03:25:08 AM »

And there is no math that gives Obama a win without PA and Ohio.

Ridge probably brings in the most EV's of any person on either shortlist.

Even giving Obama all the tossups and throwing in VA, he loses.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 03:29:46 AM »

And there is no math that gives Obama a win without PA and Ohio.

Ridge probably brings in the most EV's of any person on either shortlist.

I guess that this isn't a win then:

I find it to be reasonable. Ridge will have absolutely zero effect in CO, NV, NM, IA, or VA. I figure Obama has at least a 50/50 shot at each of those states anyway.

Even in NV and CO, because of his abortion stance, he attracts the Hilary women.  Same in VA, but VA was a state subject to a terrorist attack.  That's why he's such a good candidate on so many levels.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 03:32:58 AM »

....if Ridge guaranteed both Pennsylvania and helps in Ohio, which he most certainly would not.

Fixed.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 01:47:58 PM »

Social conservatives won't stay home whatever Ridge does.  Even if he doesn't flip on abortion rights. 

I think that this is correct.  Ridge further is nuanced on abortion, as is the American electorate. 

On Ohio, it's exposure in those eastern media markets, Youngstown, Akron, and to a lesser extent, Cleveland.  Now, Ridge alone cannot carry Ohio, but he can increase the vote totals, kind of like, "McCain and the guy you know."
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies