CNN confirms that Biden is Obama's choice for running mate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:21:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  CNN confirms that Biden is Obama's choice for running mate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: CNN confirms that Biden is Obama's choice for running mate  (Read 9200 times)
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2008, 12:38:36 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

"Don't tell me words don't matter!"

"You cannot go to a 7-Eleven or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. I'm not joking."

"You don't know my state. My state was a slave state. My state is a border state..."

"Don't tell me words don't matter!"

When they're coming from your mouth/key-board, the odds are they don't.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2008, 12:39:38 AM »

"You don't know my state. My state was a slave state. My state is a border state..."

LOL! One of my favorites!

He said Delaware was a southern state because it has the eighth largest black population. What the hell does that mean, Joe?

Delaware was a slave state at the start of the Civil War. I always thought it was South of the Mason Dixon Line, but according to Wikipedia, it isn't.

Maryland and Delware were Southern States, but that has changed with the spread of the Northeast Corridor since 1940.

That has nothing to do with what I find amusing.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2008, 12:41:39 AM »

Hey don't hate me.

Your messiah is the one who fumbled the ball.

Facts = hate?

Yesss OMG OBAMA SUPPORTER = FANATIC1!!111 === KOOL AID DRINKER = OBAMA IS MESSIAH OMGOMGOMG!!!!111
Eleanor Martins
RedefiningForm
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.22

« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2008, 12:42:45 AM »

Hey don't hate me.

Your messiah is the one who fumbled the ball.

Alright, so how is this choice actually a mistake?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2008, 12:50:11 AM »

Don't attack Biden.  Flatter him.

Say that you wish he was at the top of the ticket instead of the bottom.  Say that would have reassured you.  Say that Biden has a gravitas Obama didn't have on his own.

Say that Obama is implicitly admitting that experience does matter after all.

And get some intrepid beat reporter to ask Joe Biden if he truly thinks Obama is more qualified to be President than he is.

Then run an ad that shows clips of Biden saying Obama isn't up to the job (There are plenty out there) and saying good things about McCain (There are some out there).

In the VP debates, don't touch Biden.  Just point out how much smarter Biden is than Obama, how much more knowledgeable he is.  Then point out that if you want someone in the top job who is as ready as Joe Biden you have to vote for John McCain.

Remember, this race isn't about Joe Biden.  It's about Obama and McCain first and foremost.  Use Biden to make McCain look good and Obama look like a lightweight.

And whatever you do, don't pick Tim Pawlenty.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2008, 12:54:50 AM »

Obama went out and found the one person in America who is more arrogant and self-righteous than himself... congrats.

Let the gaffing begin.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2008, 12:59:53 AM »

Zogby will have a flash poll about Obama/Biden out tomorrow afternoon.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2008, 01:03:35 AM »

Zogby will have a flash poll about Obama/Biden out tomorrow afternoon.

I have one too

Obama/Biden -42
McCain 666
MOE=999
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2008, 01:32:49 AM »

Here is the video of John King breaking the story:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROwsIFMZEwc

He says that he got the info from anonymous Democratic sources who were telling him "things they weren't supposed to tell him".
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2008, 01:45:11 AM »
« Edited: August 23, 2008, 01:47:24 AM by J. J. »

A relatively bad choice, in that there better candidates (politically).  Overall, as VP nominees go, a middling choice. 

The timing, a Saturday at 12:45 AM, is hideously bad.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2008, 01:50:54 AM »

It's on the Obama page now:

Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2008, 01:51:52 AM »

I guess they figured the gig was up
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2008, 01:53:41 AM »

And the text still didn't go out.

You are all morons.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2008, 01:55:44 AM »

Don't attack Biden.  Flatter him.

Say that you wish he was at the top of the ticket instead of the bottom.  Say that would have reassured you.  Say that Biden has a gravitas Obama didn't have on his own.

And get some intrepid beat reporter to ask Joe Biden if he truly thinks Obama is more qualified to be President than he is.

Then run an ad that shows clips of Biden saying Obama isn't up to the job (There are plenty out there) and saying good things about McCain (There are some out there).

In the VP debates, don't touch Biden.  Just point out how much smarter Biden is than Obama, how much more knowledgeable he is.  Then point out that if you want someone in the top job who is as ready as Joe Biden you have to vote for John McCain.

Remember, this race isn't about Joe Biden.  It's about Obama and McCain first and foremost.  Use Biden to make McCain look good and Obama look like a lightweight.

The best running mate to combat Biden is Ridge... on many levels.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2008, 01:59:46 AM »

Seriously, did they not promise an infinite amount of times that the people who signed up with them would find out before they confirmed it officially to the press?  I find it rather offensive to be honest.  I'd rather be woken up at 4 am.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2008, 02:02:08 AM »

Don't attack Biden.  Flatter him.

Say that you wish he was at the top of the ticket instead of the bottom.  Say that would have reassured you.  Say that Biden has a gravitas Obama didn't have on his own.

In the VP debates, don't touch Biden.  Just point out how much smarter Biden is than Obama, how much more knowledgeable he is.  Then point out that if you want someone in the top job who is as ready as Joe Biden you have to vote for John McCain.

Remember, this race isn't about Joe Biden.  It's about Obama and McCain first and foremost.  Use Biden to make McCain look good and Obama look like a lightweight.

In that he appeals to the same Philly suburb voters that Biden might appeal to?  I suppose.  But nature abhors a vacuum.  With Biden on the ticket, does it make more sense to try and grab votes in an area Biden doesn't help with?

Liberman to win independents, Jews, and moderate Democrats?
Romney for his family name in Michigan?
Palin to close the gender gap nationwide?
Portman for Ohio?

Then there's the slight matter of making Ridge, a backer of the nuclear freeze and author of the color coded homeland security alerts, the heir apparent.  I'm not high on Ridge.

It should be down to Palin, Lieberman, and Portman in that order.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2008, 02:04:04 AM »

IMO, if Ridge is the VP Nominee, this election is over.  Obama can never get the electoral vote combination needed to win.  Romney on the ticket would be close to that as well, but Obama's odds would go up.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2008, 02:06:18 AM »

IMO, if Ridge is the VP Nominee, this election is over.  Obama can never get the electoral vote combination needed to win.  Romney on the ticket would be close to that as well, but Obama's odds would go up.

Is Ridge really that popular in Pennsylvania?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2008, 02:09:13 AM »

There is NO way that Obama can win against a McCain/Ridge ticket? Really?  I never realized that vice presidents could guarantee an election in August.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2008, 02:16:40 AM »

just got the text
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2008, 02:17:17 AM »

HAHA so much for 10am Surprise Cheesy
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2008, 02:19:18 AM »

Most people probably haven't been following this as obsessively as we have, so this'll come as a surprise to them.

They still should've sent it out before putting the banner on the website though.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2008, 02:19:32 AM »

Ridge is very well liked amongst the people that were turned off by Barack in the primary.  Also, Ridge guarantees McCain at least 75% in the Northwest... which, while the Northwest is the least populace of the four corners of the state, that would, none-the-less be very significant.

As I pointed out, also, Ridge is regionally connected.  People across the border is Ohio, who might normally throw their support, volunteers and money behind a Democrat would reconsider with Ridge on the ticket.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2008, 02:25:45 AM »

The question is, which Ridge does he get?  Does he get caught-in-the-headlights Ridge from his time as Secretary of Homeland Security, or does he get the dynamic, considerate Ridge from his days as governor?  The latter still exists, as I have born witness to it.

Let's not forget, Ridge is no idiot.  He graduated with honors from the elite highschool of Erie.  He worked his way through Harvard (construction work).  He has a law degree from Dickinson.  I think he was just overwhelmed and understaffed at HLS.  He'd be a great pick.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2008, 02:26:28 AM »

Ridge is very well liked amongst the people that were turned off by Barack in the primary.  Also, Ridge guarantees McCain at least 75% in the Northwest... which, while the Northwest is the least populace of the four corners of the state, that would, none-the-less be very significant.

As I pointed out, also, Ridge is regionally connected.  People across the border is Ohio, who might normally throw their support, volunteers and money behind a Democrat would reconsider with Ridge on the ticket.

Except that Ridge is pro abortion, which matters to a great deal of people, and not just Republicans, outside the Northeast.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies