OFFICIAL Vice President leaks, tips, and speculation thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 06:44:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  OFFICIAL Vice President leaks, tips, and speculation thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21
Author Topic: OFFICIAL Vice President leaks, tips, and speculation thread  (Read 30331 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: August 22, 2008, 02:25:29 PM »

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gxVW-aUPQsPkU0JKEleSPNCyxSsAD92NH0802

"Obviously, the most important question is: Is this person ready to be president?" Obama told "The Early Show" on CBS. Second, he said, was: "Can this person help me govern? Are they going to be an effective partner in creating the kind of economic opportunity here at home and guiding us through some dangerous waters internationally?"

And, he added: "I want somebody who is going to be able to challenge my thinking and not simply be a 'yes person' when it comes to policymaking.

Among those believed in the running, Biden, Bayh and Edwards fit the mold of running mate with experience in defense or foreign policy — areas in which Obama performs relatively poorly in the polls compared with Republican Sen. John McCain.

Clinton's credentials were forged in the primaries and caucuses where she ran a close second to Obama in the battle for the nomination.

There was no shortages of other speculation, ranging from: GOP Sen. Chuck Hagel of Nebraska, who traveled with Obama to Iraq and Afghanistan; Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry, the 2004 Democratic presidential nominee, or Democratic Sen. Chris Dodd of Connecticut.

Edwards, whom Speaker Nancy Pelosi had touted for running mate, told reporters in Waco, Texas, "I have had interactions with the Obama campaign over the last several months but I will not get into details."

One Democratic official with knowledge of the conversation said Obama told Pelosi recently that she would be pleased with the choice. Other Democratic officials said he was on the short list. All spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss Obama's selection process.

Edwards, chairman of the Military Construction and Veterans Affairs Appropriations Subcommittee, is a nine-term moderate Democrat representing the GOP-leaning Texas district. He is well-known in Texas but does not have a national profile.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #251 on: August 22, 2008, 02:28:44 PM »

FOX says that the McCain camp is shooting down the idea that he has picked Romney already.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #252 on: August 22, 2008, 02:30:45 PM »

if edwards is chosen, i wish i could see the look on biden's face. haha.  getting passed up..yet again, this time for some obscure texas congressman.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #253 on: August 22, 2008, 02:33:26 PM »

I'm still about 80% sure that it's gonna be Biden.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #254 on: August 22, 2008, 02:33:57 PM »

if edwards is chosen, i wish i could see the look on biden's face. haha.  getting passed up..yet again, this time for some obscure texas congressman.

Was Biden looked at by Gore, Kerry, Clinton and/or Dukakis?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #255 on: August 22, 2008, 02:34:54 PM »

i think kerry looked seriously at him.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #256 on: August 22, 2008, 02:41:26 PM »

i think kerry looked seriously at him.

Did he?  I don't remember that.  Also, Bayh was considered by Gore back in 2000.  Here's a BBC article from 2000 on Gore's short list:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/869490.stm

They list Bayh, Edwards, Kerry and Lieberman.  If Obama picks Bayh this time around, then all four of those 2000 short listers will have ended up on a national ticket.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #257 on: August 22, 2008, 03:09:51 PM »

So what time do you people think the announcement will come?

I have to be at work in 82 minutes!
ucscgaldamez

« Reply #258 on: August 22, 2008, 03:10:07 PM »

I think we're just gonna have to wait till tomorrow.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #259 on: August 22, 2008, 03:11:44 PM »

Well, if Obama wants it to be at least 12 pm Hawaii time, he has to wait until 5 pm EST.  Right now it is 11 am in Hawaii.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #260 on: August 22, 2008, 03:12:43 PM »

I think we're just gonna have to wait till tomorrow.
Wait until about 5:30, right before evening news starts. If it doesnt come by then, it aint coming today, which would be a serious trip up by the Obama Campaign. Wasting this much hype (by bad pick or waiting another day) will cause all of this to seriously backfire.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #261 on: August 22, 2008, 03:13:52 PM »

Oh, by the way, Gibbs said in a FOX interview an hour ago that Obama might wait until next Wednesday to announce the VP.  He said it kind of like he didn't mean it though.

For people who don't know, Gibbs is in Obama's tightest inner circle and certainly knows who Obama has chosen (along with Axelrod and Plouffe).
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #262 on: August 22, 2008, 03:15:12 PM »

FOX says that the McCain camp is shooting down the idea that he has picked Romney already.

Did Fox actually use that metaphor? Awkward!
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #263 on: August 22, 2008, 03:16:03 PM »

Well, if Obama wants it to be at least 12 pm Hawaii time, he has to wait until 5 pm EST.  Right now it is 11 am in Hawaii.

What's so magical about 12pm?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #264 on: August 22, 2008, 03:16:40 PM »

Next Wednesday? LOL
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #265 on: August 22, 2008, 03:16:56 PM »

Ummm....duh. Its.....after......11....?
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #266 on: August 22, 2008, 03:17:41 PM »

Oh, by the way, Gibbs said in a FOX interview an hour ago that Obama might wait until next Wednesday to announce the VP.  He said it kind of like he didn't mean it though.

For people who don't know, Gibbs is in Obama's tightest inner circle and certainly knows who Obama has chosen (along with Axelrod and Plouffe).
It'd be time to go with the Jesse Jackson Plan at that point. Tongue
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #267 on: August 22, 2008, 03:18:43 PM »

It's around the time the crucial unemployed-and-waiting-to-leave-for-college-18-year-old demographic wakes up.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #268 on: August 22, 2008, 03:18:55 PM »

Kids are killing the news media paparazzi in lemonade prices
ABC

With reporters staked out in their front lawn night and day all week long to monitor Sen. Evan Bayh's house across the street, the three Waldman kids found a way to profit - sell lemonade to the thirsty media throng.

And boy did they make a killing.

No sooner had the stand been set up at the base of their driveway then instantly a line formed five-deep in cameramen. Location, location, location. Serving the ice-cold juice in nice pint-sized glassware, the kids quickly made a buck or two...or twenty.

The elder Waldman saleswoman, Siena, 6 (and 3/4!) said she'd use the profits to buy a walkie-talkie, but noted that it'd be "expensive."

No wonder she was charging a dollar a drink.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #269 on: August 22, 2008, 03:20:10 PM »

Nothing except that it's the "afternoon."

11:20 am works just as well, really.  But 12 o'clock is sort of a catchy time to release it, eh?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #270 on: August 22, 2008, 03:22:29 PM »

11:20 am works just as well, really.  But 12 o'clock is sort of a catchy time to release it, eh?

Ummm....dare I ask....will anyone care what time the news comes out in Hawaii?  Is Obama afraid of losing Hawaii because of resentment over the "early morning" timing of his VP announcement?
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #271 on: August 22, 2008, 03:26:30 PM »

Indeed, I seriously doubt that he's delaying the announcement on Hawaii's account.

He's probably just letter the blogosphere and the media work themselves up into as big a tizzy as they can before he announces. The longer he waits the bigger it gets and the bigger the impact of the announcement. It's a clever move, especially since McCain won't have the same kind of advantage for his announcement. Mind you, if Obama waits till tomorrow he's too clever by a half and really screws up.

Btw, if people on the East Coast think it's bad having to wait all day till the late afternoon to hear the news, think how bad it is for those of us on the other side of the pond :S:S:S
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #272 on: August 22, 2008, 03:27:29 PM »

Ummm....dare I ask....will anyone care what time the news comes out in Hawaii?  Is Obama afraid of losing Hawaii because of resentment over the "early morning" timing of his VP announcement?

Wasn't there some speculation on this forum a few weeks back of Obama picking Hawaii Republican governor Linda Lingle as VP?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #273 on: August 22, 2008, 03:28:34 PM »

Yeah by Walter but that doesn't count.

Yeah I know.  I just looked up the time zones and felt like mentioning my newfound knowledge.

If I had to guess at the two most likely times though, I would say 5pm or 6:30pm EST.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #274 on: August 22, 2008, 03:37:02 PM »

Yeah by Walter but that doesn't count.

come again?

and i never speculated that obama would pick lingle.  i asked about her chances with mccain.  phil and other righties said she was 1. jewish and 2., gay, therefore unacceptable to their wing of the party.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies