what is Russia's real motive?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:08:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  what is Russia's real motive?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: what is Russia's real motive?  (Read 5753 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 11, 2008, 04:11:15 PM »

I only have the most awkward understanding of the whole conflict and I only really started reading things in an attempt to understand today.  one thing seems to be missing: why is Russian REALLY getting involved?  I think it is safe to say that they aren't mobilizing out of care and love for the Ossetian people, considering how they feel about Chechen independence...

pardon if this has been discussed before / is a dumb question
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 04:12:20 PM »

My guess is that they want the land for themselves.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 04:16:48 PM »

They hate Saakashvili since he took power. Putin doesn't respond well to anti-Russian leaders at his borders.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 04:19:34 PM »

Paranoia. Mostly.
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: 2.43

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 04:20:00 PM »

The Russians feel they "own" the countries surrounding them and that it cannot allow them to ally themselves with the West and NATO. Saakashvili's Georgia has been one of the most pro-Western ex-Soviet nations and Russia feels it must overthrow him before he joins NATO and goes out of their reach (as happened with Estonia).

These de facto independent nations propped up by the Russian military (as "peacekeepers") are the way Russia has tried to excerise pressure over their neighbor's governments. Those nations are actually Russian puppet states with little or no popular support and extremely corrupt and undemocratic governments.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 04:21:38 PM »

Lots of possible reasons to follow:
They want control of the oil pipline that runs through Georgia
They want to punish an ally to America and Georgia was the easiest victim
They want a buffer zone where they can get one
They want to gauge the reaction the west gives to their actions
They want to gauge the abilities of their military against a well trained, fairly modern military
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 04:23:20 PM »

Lots of possible reasons to follow:
They want control of the oil pipline that runs through Georgia
They want to punish an ally to America and Georgia was the easiest victim
They want a buffer zone where they can get one
They want to gauge the reaction the west gives to their actions
They want to gauge the abilities of their military against a well trained, fairly modern military

The same, plus:

They want to show their force
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 08:28:13 PM »

You should understand the Russians' state of mind these days. They feel humiliated by the 90s and are supersmug in the current high-oil era. They dislike the outside world and are paranoid about the world hating (the last, though not true until now, might become a self-fulfilling prophesy, eventually) or "disrespecting" them (bears to recall a common Russian maxim: "if you are afraid of me, that means you respect me").

Georgians have, of course, behaved idiotically - they stoked Russians' paranoia and the feeling of disrespect (as well as exhibited a degree of nationalism and empire-building a small country in a precarious corner of the world can ill afford). Still, the Russian reaction towards that country has been outsized ever since the Soviet break-up - and, I am afraid, not merely pathetically stupid, but also sincere. The current Georgian leader has become a poster boy for the "western perfidy" (frankly, I believe any Georgian leader, not servile to Russians would, but that's another issue). Most Russians, even seemingly reasonable and educated about the outside world, sincerely believe that Saakashvili is an "American puppett", "a governor, selected and appointed by the US" specially to annoy them (try telling an average Russian that Americans would have supported any not radically anti-Western Georgian leadership, and they think you are a naive idiot, or worse).  Thus, not being able to "get to" the evil US power, they satisfy their feelings of revenge and feed their inferiority complex by screwing the "American satelite".
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 09:36:54 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Possible, but a little simplistic.

I doubt it.

That's a bit 20th century.

Fairly plausible as a minor reason.

Likely another contributor.

I think a lot of the theories floating about there are way too Americentric.  Countries don't invade other countries simply because of the invaded country's allies, if no open state of war exists.  And don't give me any of that "PUTIN IS CRAAAAAAAZY" crap; he may be ruthless and power-hungry, but he's not that stupid nor that irrational.  I think it's happening to cement Russia's already formidable power over former Soviet states: "If you resist, look what happens to you!  Now give us your natural gas/oil/women."  Georgia is a good testing ground for this because:
1) Georgia happened to pick some vaguely antagonistic maneuvers, giving a possible pretext.
2) Georgia did so around the Olympics, providing a distraction.
3) Georgia is a rather close ally of the West, allowing Russia to see a sort of "worst case scenario" for reaction.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 09:56:34 PM »

Possible, but a little simplistic.

I doubt it.

That's a bit 20th century.

Fairly plausible as a minor reason.

Likely another contributor.

I think a lot of the theories floating about there are way too Americentric.  Countries don't invade other countries simply because of the invaded country's allies, if no open state of war exists.  And don't give me any of that "PUTIN IS CRAAAAAAAZY" crap; he may be ruthless and power-hungry, but he's not that stupid nor that irrational.  I think it's happening to cement Russia's already formidable power over former Soviet states: "If you resist, look what happens to you!  Now give us your natural gas/oil/women."  Georgia is a good testing ground for this because:
1) Georgia happened to pick some vaguely antagonistic maneuvers, giving a possible pretext.
2) Georgia did so around the Olympics, providing a distraction.
3) Georgia is a rather close ally of the West, allowing Russia to see a sort of "worst case scenario" for reaction.

Great analysis, ILV.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 10:08:28 PM »

To remind the world (and itself) that it is still a great power, and what better way to demonstrate its revived military might than to re-establish some measure of control over what it considers as its own backyard? 

At least that's my understanding of the Russian mindset.

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 11:23:11 PM »

A 300 year old paranoia, at least.  It's not Putin, it's standard Tsarist/Soviet/Russian paranoia.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 02:35:08 AM »

A 300 year old paranoia, at least.  It's not Putin, it's standard Tsarist/Soviet/Russian paranoia.

In Soviet Russia paranoia owns you.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 03:05:28 AM »

The Georgian government is strongly pro-Western, strongly anti-Russian.  Putin is using the pretext of helping the separatists as an excuse to install a pro-Russian government in Georgia, if not dismantle it entirely.  Soon, he will use some pretext to do the same to Ukraine, not like he hasn't already been up to such things, but success in Georgia will undoubtedly embolden the Russians to make an even more obvious move.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 03:58:50 AM »

Control the oil pipeline and hold Europe over a barrel, so to speak.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 04:21:19 AM »

Which should be unacceptable to the West.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 01:01:44 PM »

It should be. But because we were stupid enough to invade Iraq, our military is now too over-stretched to start a third war. Even Russia is smart enough not to try and directly topple the Georgian government in a full invasion.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 01:18:33 PM »

They already control a very significant portion of Europe's petroleum supply.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 08:38:15 PM »

It should be. But because we were stupid enough to invade Iraq, our military is now too over-stretched to start a third war. Even Russia is smart enough not to try and directly topple the Georgian government in a full invasion.
The West's military is over-stretched?  Having Europe over a barrel isn't just America's problem...believe it or not, it would be Europe's problem too.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 09:29:19 PM »
« Edited: August 12, 2008, 09:34:17 PM by StateBoiler »

This is Russia's real motive. Stratfor covers this for a living, and they are paid by their customers to be unbiased, otherwise they'd lose their job.

http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/russo_georgian_war_and_balance_power

Part 1:

StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 09:29:42 PM »

Part 2:

StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2008, 09:39:09 PM »

Here's a second opinion:

http://informationdissemination.blogspot.com/2008/08/russias-divide-and-conquer-strategy.html

Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2008, 01:17:09 AM »

The West's military is over-stretched?  Having Europe over a barrel isn't just America's problem...believe it or not, it would be Europe's problem too.

I meant the US military was over-stretched. The EU doesn't do any military work besides peace-keeping in Kosovo.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2008, 03:03:18 AM »

I meant the US military was over-stretched. The EU doesn't do any military work besides peace-keeping in Kosovo.

No, the US Army and Marines are over stretched.  "military" is much to broad of a term to be appropriate.  The US being in Iraq was/is not keeping us from assisting Georgia militarily.  I know it's fun to tie everything to Iraq/Bush, but there are enough legitimate complaints against the guy to keep us busy.  We don't need to make any more up.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2008, 05:59:30 AM »

In Europe, yes, maybe. But if we don't do more, it is that we just... can't! We are talking about EU, a big market of small countries with not a lot of power geopolitically speaking.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies