Should the USA help Georgia?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 13, 2024, 07:33:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should the USA help Georgia?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]
Poll
Question: Should We?
Yes(D)

Yes(R)

Yes(O/I)

No(D)

No(R)

No(O/I)

Don't Care

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Should the USA help Georgia?  (Read 15346 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: August 15, 2008, 03:01:16 PM »

At last Bush is showing some sings of caring about Georgia, even though its too little too late. The missile interceptor base deal with Poland sure got the Russians angry though. Charles Krauthammer has some great ideas on how to punish Russia without direct military intervention beyond admitting Georgia and Ukraine to NATO.

At the rate the Russians are continuing their aggression, and the pathetic fidling of Jorge Bush, there may not be any Georgia left to admitt to NATO.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #176 on: August 15, 2008, 08:33:56 PM »

At last Bush is showing some sings of caring about Georgia, even though its too little too late. The missile interceptor base deal with Poland sure got the Russians angry though. Charles Krauthammer has some great ideas on how to punish Russia without direct military intervention beyond admitting Georgia and Ukraine to NATO.

At the rate the Russians are continuing their aggression, and the pathetic fidling of Jorge Bush, there may not be any Georgia left to admitt to NATO.

Russia's behavior in this whole incident has been nothing less than despicable. If I were Bush, I would be talking to the E.U. about levying a trade embargo against Russia. Along with further action in due time. Wink
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #177 on: August 15, 2008, 10:44:59 PM »

Russia's behavior in this whole incident has been nothing less than despicable. If I were Bush, I would be talking to the E.U. about levying a trade embargo against Russia. Along with further action in due time. Wink
Doesn't the EU get a good chunk of their oil from Russia?  Where are we going to get that extra oil from?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #178 on: August 15, 2008, 11:25:00 PM »

Yes, but only with diplomacy / weapons (essentially what we did with Afghanistan and the USSR).
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #179 on: August 15, 2008, 11:26:25 PM »

Yes, but only with diplomacy / weapons (essentially what we did with Afghanistan and the USSR).
Except what we did there was stupid but I agree.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #180 on: August 15, 2008, 11:27:44 PM »

Except what we did there was stupid but I agree.

What do you mean?
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #181 on: August 15, 2008, 11:30:17 PM »

Funding the Taliban was not wise and was certainly not moral. It ended up hurting Afghanistan as much as the Soviets controlling it would have(that could have been a slight positive actually). We essentially caused 9/11 to happen.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #182 on: August 15, 2008, 11:32:07 PM »

Funding the Taliban was not wise and was certainly not moral. It ended up hurting Afghanistan as much as the Soviets controlling it would have(that could have been a slight positive actually). We essentially caused 9/11 to happen.

No, I know all that, I meant what part did you agree with (sorry, my question was worded badly)?
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #183 on: August 15, 2008, 11:33:06 PM »

No, I know all that, I meant what part did you agree with (sorry, my question was worded badly)?
Helping them with diplomacy and weapons along with economic aid.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #184 on: August 16, 2008, 12:45:36 AM »

Doesn't the EU get a good chunk of their oil from Russia?  Where are we going to get that extra oil from?

From our national reserve (I think Tongue), & if worst comes to worst, from parts of Russia that are captured by invasion forces. Hopefully, it wouldn't come to that though.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #185 on: August 16, 2008, 08:38:11 AM »

There's a delightful series of photographs capturing the essences of the Russian invasion of Georgia at the Sun.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1563317.ece
jeron
Netherlands
Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -7.48

« Reply #186 on: August 16, 2008, 10:13:40 AM »

Yes. Directly engaring our military against Russia isn't the only type of help we can give Georgia, and that should probably be a very last resort. However, what we're doing now isn't enough. Georgia has been our loyal ally and is a strong democracy. Besides, if Russia succeeds in occupying Georgia, none of its neighbors is safe, and, in the long run, neither is America.

I very much agree.  I don't think we can really afford to offer military help to Georgia right now, but we cannot let Russia win this conflict.

Russia has already won the conflict.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #187 on: August 27, 2008, 12:06:03 AM »

Not really.. Georgia seems to be doing pretty well.. Atlanta metro is booming and racial tension in the state is not near as bad as most of the south..

People in Georgia are generally well off... so not much need to help it out.. we really need to help other parts of the rural south more, however.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #188 on: August 27, 2008, 01:28:02 AM »

Not really.. Georgia seems to be doing pretty well.. Atlanta metro is booming and racial tension in the state is not near as bad as most of the south..

People in Georgia are generally well off... so not much need to help it out.. we really need to help other parts of the rural south more, however.

Are you serious?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #189 on: August 27, 2008, 01:02:35 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2008, 05:10:58 PM by CARLHAYDEN »

Are you serious?

I'm pretty sure he's joking, as James has a better understanding of the geoglobal situation than liberalrepublican does.

Check out the thread on Zimbawbwee where liberalrepublican not only gushes over bribery being good, but lavishes praise on the current dictator of that country.

I am thinking of starting threads on the President of Iran and the rulert of North Korea, so that liberalrepublican can tell us how much he admires and supports those loonies.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #190 on: August 27, 2008, 01:22:17 PM »

Are you serious?

I'm pretty sure he's joking, as James has a better understanding of the geoglobal situation than liberalrepublican does.

Check out the thread on Zimbawbwee where liberalrepublican not only gushes over bribery being good, but lavishes praise on the current dictator of that country.

I am thinking of starting threads on the President of Iran and the rule of North Korea so that liberalrepublican can tell us how much he admires and supports those loonies.

I'm pretty sure that you're right about Jamespol, given his, ahem, reputation. Wink
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies