Priorities
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:58:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Priorities
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: If you had to choose, what would be a higher priority for you?
Balancing the budget, and cutting the federal debt in half

Universal health care, and increasing investments into our national infrastructure

Cutting taxes to stimulate economic growth

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Priorities  (Read 3621 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2008, 12:46:44 PM »

Universal Healthcare is a terrific goal.  But if we can't get our budget in order now, how the heck are we going to do it with another $50B of expenses on the books?
Probably more, given our track record plus all the aging boomers.

Yeah, $50B is an extremely conservative estimate.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2008, 12:56:38 PM »

#2 if it's handled correctly. It could easily be turned into a single payer system where the government foots the bill for every medical procedure or an invitation to more "Big Digs".

Quality preventative health care would immediately improve the overall health of the country, increasing productivity and creating new sources of tax revenue. Infrastructure improvements would stimulate investment in new industries and make everyone's lives a little easier, which in turn would increase tax revenues. Then you could maintain the tax increases for a certain period while we pay down the national debt. Once the debt is paid off, reduce taxes to a level sustainable to maintain our government programs.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2008, 01:00:41 PM »

#2 if it's handled correctly. It could easily be turned into a single payer system where the government foots the bill for every medical procedure or an invitation to more "Big Digs".

Quality preventative health care would immediately improve the overall health of the country, increasing productivity and creating new sources of tax revenue. Infrastructure improvements would stimulate investment in new industries and make everyone's lives a little easier, which in turn would increase tax revenues. Then you could maintain the tax increases for a certain period while we pay down the national debt. Once the debt is paid off, reduce taxes to a level sustainable to maintain our government programs.

A reasonable answer but with the way our government is an impossible one at the same time.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2008, 01:09:53 PM »

Oh, of course. See the first sentence. #2 is an invitation to waste a couple hundred billion a year, #1 is an invitation to maintain high tax increases and cripple critical programs in favor of non-critical ones, and #3 is an invitation to cripple government and collapse as a nation.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2008, 01:26:34 PM »

BTW, can pick never for 2?  I don't want to ever have to pay for health care for someone else.  Its not only unfair but the waste would be incredible and people would wind up paying much more than the system paid out.

I want to use my money to pay for the best doctors and I don't want those doctors making less money and not being motivated

Right. Because the European health care system is so terrible...

And don't give me the crap about people coming here for treatment. The medical system is only good for the rich.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2008, 04:48:16 PM »

2-1-3.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2008, 08:32:03 PM »

BTW, can pick never for 2?  I don't want to ever have to pay for health care for someone else.  Its not only unfair but the waste would be incredible and people would wind up paying much more than the system paid out.

I want to use my money to pay for the best doctors and I don't want those doctors making less money and not being motivated

I'm fairly confident you don't pay for anything yourself, which explains your extreme position.  Unfortunately, until something tragic happens to you or your family, you will continue to take this short-sighted, selfish, and ignorant position.

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2008, 10:25:59 PM »

I'm fairly confident you don't pay for anything yourself, which explains your extreme position.  Unfortunately, until something tragic happens to you or your family, you will continue to take this short-sighted, selfish, and ignorant position.

The fortunate thing is that he'll eventually learn.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2008, 12:12:04 AM »

80% 1

20% 3
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2008, 10:42:25 PM »

1, 3(But not in the way you think. I'd simplify the tax code, abolish sin/excise taxes, simplify/cut corporate taxes. All this is done for specific reasons) and 2.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2008, 07:55:29 PM »

Whether or not I would put 1 or 3 next depends on the economic situation. If we're in a recession or a slump, then 3, but if the economy is running well, 1.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies