Possibility in Alaska...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:29:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Possibility in Alaska...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Possibility in Alaska...  (Read 3847 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 30, 2008, 06:50:16 PM »

I was just watching Stu Rothenberg and Charlie Cook on Hardball, analyzing the Senate races. They led off with Alaska. Rothenberg mentioned an interesting possibility:

Stevens wins the crowded Republican primary and drops out after pressure from state and national GOP leaders. This would allow the GOP to pick a strong candidate (Palin or maybe Parnell or LeDoux) who would be favored to keep the seat instead of Stevens who would almost definitely lose or one of the other Republicans who aren't as strong.

What do you think? Good plan? Do you think it's being seriously considered?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 06:52:31 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2008, 12:17:56 AM by The Lord High Executioner Ko-Ko »

It could work, but it won't work because Ted Stevens is one of the most stubborn, arrogant old cusses to ever serve in the US Senate.  He won't be bowing to anyone's pressure.

EDIT:  Whatever happened to my grammar?  Major fix.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 06:53:39 PM »

It could work, but it won't work because Ted Stevens is one of the most stubborn, arrogant old cuss to ever serve in the US Senate.  He won't bowing to anyone's pressure.

True. Time to call up Sarah Palin and have her start that write in campaign...
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 07:04:18 PM »

i got a less complicated idea.

vote for the democrat.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 07:06:41 PM »

i got a less complicated idea.

vote for the democrat.

Some of us don't want the Democrats to be handed a seat. Would I end up supporting Begich if Stevens won the primary and stayed in? Sure.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 07:13:35 PM »

One of Ted Stevens' Facebook friends:

Jeffrey wrote at 8:23pm yesterday
Dear Ted,

We all know it's lies. Disregard the negative comments below. Personally, I think this is the product of some sort of cabal of anti-ANWR environmentalists and internet enthusiasts seeking your demise from prominence. When I crack the case, I'll email you the leads.

LOL
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 07:18:05 PM »

One of Ted Stevens' Facebook friends:

Jeffrey wrote at 8:23pm yesterday
Dear Ted,

We all know it's lies. Disregard the negative comments below. Personally, I think this is the product of some sort of cabal of anti-ANWR environmentalists and internet enthusiasts seeking your demise from prominence. When I crack the case, I'll email you the leads.

LOL

But he might not get that e-mail! Someone in his office was e-mailed an internet and they didn't get it for a few days!
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 07:21:05 PM »

I'm really pulling for stevens, hmmm.....
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 09:18:11 PM »

I seriously doubt Palin wants to move to DC, especially considering she just had her fifth child.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 09:23:43 PM »

I seriously doubt Palin wants to move to DC, especially considering she just had her fifth child.

Woah, she's really working hard.
Spaghetti Cat
Driedapples
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 09:43:02 PM »

Well I that would be a tough decision for Palin.  She seems to want the presidency eventually, but I think the Senate would just hurt her.  She'd probably put Gabrielle Ledoux up to run for the seat, or the cute chick who was going to run for the congressional seat, but decided not too.  Or if Parnell loses (which i hope doesn't happen) he would be the obvious choice.  I just hope that asshole steps down, because he'll lose if hes the nominee.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 04:40:40 AM »

I was just watching Stu Rothenberg and Charlie Cook on Hardball, analyzing the Senate races. They led off with Alaska. Rothenberg mentioned an interesting possibility:

Stevens wins the crowded Republican primary and drops out after pressure from state and national GOP leaders. This would allow the GOP to pick a strong candidate (Palin or maybe Parnell or LeDoux) who would be favored to keep the seat instead of Stevens who would almost definitely lose or one of the other Republicans who aren't as strong.

Did they actually check whether this kind of crap is legal in Alaska? I know it is in a few other states... I'm just being cautious here.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 07:06:00 AM »

Did they actually check whether this kind of crap is legal in Alaska? I know it is in a few other states... I'm just being cautious here.

In Alaska, if the candidate drops out at least 48 days before the general election, the party can nominate a replacement. So Stevens would have to drop out before mid-September. Assuming he could bring himself to do that.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 09:34:45 AM »

In Alaska, if the candidate drops out at least 48 days before the general election, the party can nominate a replacement. So Stevens would have to drop out before mid-September. Assuming he could bring himself to do that.

Ya, the wording is a little confusing (because it doesn't exactly jive with the vacancy in the primary ballot statute), but I think that's the conclusion.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 12:04:46 PM »

Doesn't Palin also have a mini-scandal of her own to deal with right now?  Something about the firing of a former relative in retaliation for something? Might be pure crapola, I dunno.  Or just minor.

Anyway, I think Begich has a good shot at this seat against Stevens or whoever the Republicans appoint.  I wouldn't call it safe D by any means. But I'd move it from tossup to lean D and maybe likely D.

I am less sure about the House seat in Alaska, though I'd be delighted to be rid of Don Young...either to a Democrat in the general or to Sean Parnell in the primary.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 12:11:31 PM »

If Parnell wins the primary, Stevens might get the picture.  Barring that he's in this for the long run
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 12:39:29 PM »

If Parnell wins the primary, Stevens might get the picture.  Barring that he's in this for the long run

Well, of course. If he loses the primary, he's out. If not, he's in. What exactly is your point?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 12:48:49 PM »

Doesn't Palin also have a mini-scandal of her own to deal with right now?  Something about the firing of a former relative in retaliation for something? Might be pure crapola, I dunno.  Or just minor.

Yeah, a mini scandal. I think her approval rating is down to a lowly 80% or something.  Tongue
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 02:46:51 PM »

Well, of course. If he loses the primary, he's out. If not, he's in. What exactly is your point?
Parnell is running against Young not Stevens
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 12:12:17 AM »

Ted Stevens -- the Conrad Burns of 2008.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 12:14:27 AM »

Except Burns was able to make his race the closest in the nation towards the end. Stevens won't be able to do that.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2008, 12:16:44 AM »
« Edited: August 01, 2008, 12:20:03 AM by MarkWarner08 »

Except Burns was able to make his race the closest in the nation towards the end. Stevens won't be able to do that.
Conrad Burns also wasn't indicted - an ignominious distinction only nine other Senators share.

Edit: Cleaned up typos.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2008, 12:19:06 AM »

Conrad Burns also wasn't indicted - an ignominious distinct only nine other Senator share.

True enough on both counts.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2008, 12:43:35 AM »

poor Delaware, Alaska gets all the attention...
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2008, 01:33:51 AM »

Burns also would have won if not for:
1. The NRSC giving up on him instead of DeWine and Santorum for Heaven's sake.
2. Papa Smurf not siphoning off 10,000 votes.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies