nuclear energy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:20:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  nuclear energy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: nuclear energy  (Read 5094 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2008, 02:33:45 AM »

PiT (The Physicist)
So you want to harm the enviorment?

I don't. However, I'm realistic about it. Nuclear fission is the best option available to us now. The nuclear waste is not that bad if properly maintained. There's a chance it won't be, just as there's a chance a bird will be killed by those windmills out there.

Explosions in modern facilities are rare. Chernobyl was ancient & poorly-maintained when it melted down. A similar incident at Three-Mile Island was avoided when the safeties shut down the reactor before it went critical.

Well in the car museum they had a nuclear car and it exploded.

I doubt a car's safeties would be as sophisticated as those of an industrial reactor.

I think she is confused into thinking that a nuclear power "explosion" would look like an atomic bomb.  A nuclear reactor can't explode in such a fashion.  What happened in Chernobyl was that the reactor blew, and sent nuclear material into the atmosphere, it was a steam explosion.  There was no mushroom cloud.  And the only reason the damage was so wide spread, actually, the only reason the accident happened at all, is because the Soviets were utterly unconcerned with safety.  The Soviets never bothered, for instance, to construct containment buildings around their reactors, which are mandatory in the West.

Yeah, I was too lazy to check out the specifics. Tongue My point stands that there's little risk with a modern, well-maintained nuclear plant, though.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2008, 02:34:58 AM »

PiT (The Physicist)

I don't. However, I'm realistic about it. Nuclear fission is the best option available to us now. The nuclear waste is not that bad if properly maintained. There's a chance it won't be, just as there's a chance a bird will be killed by those windmills out there.

Explosions in modern facilities are rare. Chernobyl was ancient & poorly-maintained when it melted down. A similar incident at Three-Mile Island was avoided when the safeties shut down the reactor before it went critical.

I doubt a car's safeties would be as sophisticated as those of an industrial reactor.

I think she is confused into thinking that a nuclear power "explosion" would look like an atomic bomb.  A nuclear reactor can't explode in such a fashion.  What happened in Chernobyl was that the reactor blew, and sent nuclear material into the atmosphere, it was a steam explosion.  There was no mushroom cloud.  And the only reason the damage was so wide spread, actually, the only reason the accident happened at all, is because the Soviets were utterly unconcerned with safety.  The Soviets never bothered, for instance, to construct containment buildings around their reactors, which are mandatory in the West.

Yeah, I was too lazy to check out the specifics. Tongue My point stands that there's little risk with a modern, well-maintained nuclear plant, though.

Almost no risk, at all, at least not in the way miss 15 thinks.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2008, 02:41:29 AM »

PiT (The Physicist)

Indeed. Just so you know, she's from Russia. With that in mind, I wonder if she knew anybody who was affected by radiation from Chernobyl. That might explain her prejudice against nuclear power.

Actually, I should ask her that when I get the chance.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2008, 02:42:17 AM »
« Edited: August 04, 2008, 02:45:43 AM by Supersoulty »

OK so as long as you get energy you are willing to sacrifice lifes.

I think it would be a good idea if you had any idea what you are talking before you open your mouth.  Seriously, you sound like an idiot right now, and I'm not trying to be mean, but that it what you look like.  First, read the information I provided on nuclear fission.  Actually acquaint  yourself with how it works.

I think only three people have ever died in the US as a result of nuclear accidents, and that was way, way, way back in the early days of nuclear reactors (1950's).  Almost every fatal accident since then happened in the former Soviet Bloc, and always due to communist lack of concern for safety, or Soviet incompetence.

Again, a power plant can't go up like a bomb.  Western countries have a very safe track record with nuclear power.  The risk is minimal.  You are allowing misinformation about nuclear power that is spread by either idiot yokels or people with an agenda to influence your ideas.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2008, 02:43:13 AM »

PiT (The Physicist)

Indeed. Just so you know, she's from Russia. With that in mind, I wonder if she knew anybody who was affected by radiation from Chernobyl. That might explain her prejudice against nuclear power.

Oh... for some strange reason I thought she was from California.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2008, 02:45:58 AM »

PiT (The Physicist)

She was born in Russia. She left for the U.S. when she was three years old for reasons that I will not discuss since they might be embarrassing for her (unless she tells me that she's okay with it).
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2008, 02:47:55 AM »

PiT (The Physicist)

She was born in Russia. She left for the U.S. when she was three years old for reasons that I will not discuss since they might be embarrassing for her (unless she tells me that she's okay with it).

I see.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2008, 02:50:06 AM »

PiT (The Physicist)

I see.

Just so you know, it wasn't related to nuclear power. Tongue
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies